Brassmasters - still in business? (Yes they are)

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Is Brassmasters still in business? Three weeks ago we returned some cast sprues that were not as ordered  and emails have gone unanswered. As email is the only method of contact, concern is beginning to develop.

StaySafe

Guest Jack Benson
17 hours ago, Suffolk Dave said:

I emailed Brassmasters about 3 weeks ago and haven’t received a reply. Perhaps they’re having technical issues with emails so, if someone could give them the nod that folk out there are trying to contact them it would be great.

Hi Dave,

There has been no response to a snailmail sent two weeks ago, let alone a weekly email requesting an long overdue refund, I am beginning to fear the worst.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

StaySafe

4 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi Dave,

There has been no response to a snailmail sent two weeks ago, let alone a weekly email requesting an long overdue refund, I am beginning to fear the worst.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

StaySafe

On the Scalefour forum a chap says he received an order from Brassmasters two days ago. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that they haven’t fallen by the wayside. However, it would be useful if someone, who can reach them by means other than email, can tell them about the comms problem. 

Guest Jack Benson
14 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

I dropped John an email this afternoon referencing this thread. He has replied and said he has been busy with other things. From memory Brassmasters is something on top of his normal job. 

Let me get this right, Brassmasters replied to an email to you but has not replied to other customers due to being ‘busy’. Is this going to become another ‘Coopercraft’ saga caused by the need for a refund of incorrect goods?

Thanks, I will patiently wait.

StaySafe

3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Let me get this right, Brassmasters replied to an email to you but has not replied to other customers due to being ‘busy’. Is this going to become another ‘Coopercraft’ saga caused by the need for a refund of incorrect goods?

StaySafe

Maybe worth revising the thread title to answer the question with a “Yes”.

14 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

StaySafe

Hysterical much?

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

This looks to me like another case of someone having a hobby,

realising they could make a bit if money out if it,

starting a small business which then becomes so popular

it gets too big for them to manage.

Most of us know these are 'one man bands'.

Surely we realise the likely problems before we place orders 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rab said:

Most of us know these are 'one man bands'.

Surely we realise the likely problems before we place orders 

Brassmasters state quite clearly that it is a hobby business and that they do not run an on line shop and that they do not have a business phone number. They also use a PO box and as is quite a common practice such addresses  are only visited at intervals.

i would not say that it has become to big to manage, rather that it is doing what it says on the tin and is being run as a hobby that just happens to provide items to the general public.

I would not call delays of a few weeks that happen from time to times problems. In the current situation we no not what is going on in the real world of the owner. 

I have always found them to be very helpful and able to provide parts that are not available elsewhere at a very good price. Far cheaper than if the full cost recovery if business premises were used full time. The free information on the web site is worth a hefty annual fee. 

I would say scenario or situation rather than problems in your last line.

it is so easy for people to moan who never make any thing. Without Brassmasters the hobby would be very much worse off.

Bernard

• Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Round of applause 2

Guest Jack Benson

There seem to be at least two types of people on RMweb, those who build and share their efforts and those who choose to offer opinions. It is easy to identify both types, the former tend to be outgoing and their published work can easily we found, the latter tend only to comment without contributing, the only sharing is their opinion.

This website was built and continues to thrive on the efforts of the former category.

StaySafe 

5 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

They also use a PO box and as is quite a common practice such addresses  are only visited at intervals.

That's not legal. An online business MUST have a full geographic address (i.e. not a PO box).

I was in a very similar position until I gave up the day job. It saddens me that so many small suppliers get themselves into a situation that draws a lot of criticism. Just saying you are "busy" is no excuse. At the very least an e-mail auto-response, to explain the situation, e.g., replies might take a few days, should be set up.

There are also too many small suppliers who cannot be bothered to work out the minimum requirements for running a business. The worst case I have come across is a company claiming to be Ltd when they are not (another offence).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Crosland said:

That's not legal. An online business MUST have a full geographic address (i.e. not a PO box).

But since Brassmasters state very clearly on their website in bold type that they are not an online business

"NOTE - we do not operate an online shop and do not have a business telephone number.. " what has this to do with the discussion?

And they don't claim to be a limited company either....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rab said:

Except that Brassmasters have been going for over thirty years now. 

• Phil Parker changed the title to Brassmasters - still in business? (Yes they are)
  • Phil Parker locked this topic