Zimo vs. Who?

philg

Having decided to “standardise” on Lenz control and Zimo decoders, I hit the programming snag described here -> 

I’m concerned that this will finish up with finger pointing and no solution, so....  Which would be everyone’s decoder manufacturer of choice if Zimo was off the table

I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen & read so far about Zimo, but if I can’t reliably program them I need to look elewhere

Thanks

Phil G 

Lenz have always been my decoder of choice - 90% of my fleet are Lenz, the exceptions being the few FF sound equipped locos & a couple of Zimo.

Over the years I have tried other makes but always go back to Lenz - FWIW here are my experiences of "other" makes ;

TCS - found them fiddly to set up (some time ago & not tried recent issues).

ESU - Fine except for 50% failure rate after some running - the sound ones are fine).

Zimo - Have used them in very small loco's where space is very limited with no issues.

DCC Concepts (early) - take far too long to set up. (current) - gave them another try without sucess, especially when you start changing CV's other than 1.

Lais - Get what you pay for I suppose.

Uhlenbrok - OK but similar to Lenz except more expensive.

GM (early) - see DCC Concepts (AFAIK they were badge engineered Concepts). I am awaiting a couple of the new Ruby Range to evaluate.

TBH, Lenz will probably remain my decoder of choice - resonable price/availability & you have the ever helpful Chriis at A and H to help with any issues.

3 hours ago, philg said:

Having decided to “standardise” on Lenz control and Zimo decoders, I hit the programming snag described here -> 

I’m concerned that this will finish up with finger pointing and no solution, so....  Which would be everyone’s decoder manufacturer of choice if Zimo was off the table

I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen & read so far about Zimo, but if I can’t reliably program them I need to look elewhere

Thanks

Phil G 

why not keep both bits of great kit

But use MXULF to program , can update zimo decoders for latest inproments  (eg braking)

Or sprog not so much money but no updates to zimo firmware

6 minutes ago, trevora said:

why not keep both bits of great kit

But use MXULF to program , can update zimo decoders for latest inproments  (eg braking)

Or sprog not so much money but no updates to zimo firmware

Well, having spent a chunk of money on Lenz and potentially a chunk more on Zimo decoders, I don't really want to have to spend MORE to fix an issue that shouldn't have arisen in the first place. Certainly the MXULF is overkill

My plan is also to have an easily built layout for the inevitable downsize, so extra pieces of kit don't fit into that philosophy either

14 minutes ago, trevora said:

sprog would be less hassle and could be cheaper than replacing the zimos

Agreed, but if needed I can exchange my Zimos or get a full refund and, to be honest, another piece of kit doesn't fit with y long term plan of something that is easy to set up and is fully self contained. I'm HOPING that I can get a sensible resolution from either Lenz or Zimo (or both). It's just frustrating that Lenz seems OK with the majority of my decoders, Zimo is OK with most DCC command stations - they just don't work together so well. Oh, and it's not ALL Zimo decoders either. Haven't figured out the differences yet, but I have three Zimo decoders. Two I cant read cvs with Lenz but one I can. They are all basic decoders (no sound, no stay alive etc) from their £20 range.....

Solve the problem of a command station which can't read some decoders with a Sprog.     
The problem is with one version of a Lenz system.   

6 hours ago, SamThomas said:

GM (early) - see DCC Concepts (AFAIK they were badge engineered Concepts). I am awaiting a couple of the new Ruby Range to evaluate.

Some Gaugemaster look to be the Chinese copy of an old TCS design.  Which also seems to underlie the history of numerous cheaper brands.     Other Gaugemaster decoders, including I think the Ruby range, are re-badged Digitrax units (clearly identified from the CV structure).   

- Nigel

34 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Solve the problem of a command station which can't read some decoders with a Sprog.     
The problem is with one version of a Lenz system.   

- Nigel

SPROG would be my second option, but truthfully it doesn’t fit with the “self contained, plug & play” philosophy I’m trying to aim for. Also, it seems out of the three Zimo decoders I have only the MX600 is a problem. I’m asking Zimo what the difference is between that and the others

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2021 at 18:14, philg said:

Also, it seems out of the three Zimo decoders I have only the MX600 is a problem. I’m asking Zimo what the difference is between that and the others

I too have had problems, albeit of a different nature, with Zimo MX600 decoders.  I shan't be buying any more of them.

DT