Excellent packaging

Coryton

• RMweb Premium

I've just received a delivery from Rails - it came promptly and it was beautifully packed.

Not, of course, in the re-used cardboard boxes nicely trimmed to size that small shops can afford to take the time for, but in a box not much bigger than it needed to be, with the actual product box beautifully wrapped in bubble-wrap and then packaging properly filling all the rest of the space in the box.

I'm impressed. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cardboard boxes are mostly designed to be single use and not sent through the post or courier but on a pallet.

If I receive an item in an inadequate, reused cardboard box, there is a strong likelihood that I will not buy from that supplier again.

I reiterate your comments about Rails' packaging but others such as Kernow and Hattons are also very good (if you excuse Hattons strange way of using the same size box for everything).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I received something from Rails yesterday - very well protected but for something smaller than a oo gauge flat truck in a box that you could fit a 9F in ;)

More than happy for a box to be reused though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/05/2021 at 10:22, Joseph_Pestell said:

Cardboard boxes are mostly designed to be single use and not sent through the post or courier but on a pallet.

If I receive an item in an inadequate, reused cardboard box, there is a strong likelihood that I will not buy from that supplier again.

I reiterate your comments about Rails' packaging but others such as Kernow and Hattons are also very good (if you excuse Hattons strange way of using the same size box for everything).

Interesting.

My experience of Hattons has not been anything like as good.

(In fact by a strange coincidence I have just had a parcel from them turn up without the box even being taped up. I presume the elastic band round it was kindly provided by the Royal Mail).

Generally when I've had things arrive in re-used cardboard boxes I have not considered the packaging to be inadequate. It's usually been a lot better than the common format where model boxes are put in a cardboard box that's far too big, with some packing material shoved in to show willing but that doesn't actually prevent the boxes inside from sliding around inside and colliding with each other or the sides of the outer box.

Packaging should prevent the contents from moving around, but provide cushioning if the box is dropped or knocked. In my experience that's far more likely to be the case with companies that use home-made re-used packaging than those who use brand-new boxes.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I'm glad that Rails respected the contents, wrapping in bubblewrap, which just-filled the outer protective cardboard box.

For me, I've no issue if it's the 1st time, or the 5th time that outer protective box as been used, provided it's strong and in good condition, able to perform its required duties without issue.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

For me, I've no issue if it's the 1st time, or the 5th time that outer protective box as been used, provided it's strong and in good condition, able to perform its required duties without issue.

Al.

Completely agree...

• Agree 1

I've never had any complaint about the way this retailer packs goods.  Nor with any of the other retailers or manufacturers, who also generally do a very tidy wrapping. 

Such stuff as has been badly wrapped has been second-hand on ebay - and to be fair, most of that is at least adequately packed too.  Not everybody knows what they're doing when it comes to protecting goods in transit, so it's not surprising that they don't all get it right.

But really - we're now fussed not only about the condition of the manufacturer's box, but also the state of the outer box and we won't buy off somebody who uses recycled cardboard?  Perhaps the outer box should be wrapped in another box ? :scratchhead:

• Like 1

In days of old Rails would cut down a stout box so that it was barely larger than the contents and somehow would manage to also pack in so much shredded paper that it seemed a miracle that a box barely larger than its contents would reveal so much additional packing material.  These days the packaging is much larger in relation to the contents and copious amounts of bubblewrap are added.

It would seem that Hattons have basically three box sizes for international packages sent by Royal Mail.  The smaller of the two are usually very sturdy,  however,  the larger package can be hit or miss as to its stoutness.  Quite often the larger box  arrives either crushed or torn,  although the contents are rarely if ever damaged.  Copious amounts of sheet bubblewrap are also included.  I have reused the packages and packing material from both suppliers and over the years have never had to buy additional boxes or packing material when items have been resold.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My two pre-orders for Accurascale wagons were sent at the same time but in separate packaging.    On receiving initial e-mail notifications of dispatches I was somewhat miffed that this entailed double postage charges, however I can have no complaint.  Both boxes arrived together, individually wrapped in outer black polythene and therefore two absolutely clean brown cardboard boxes which I will be able to re-use for stuff which I am selling on eBay.    Both boxes were much larger than their contents and the space was generously filled with bubble wrap and air bags, which will also come in very handy for re-use.  Considering that Rails four pounds postage charge per item barely covers Royal Mail 48, the stout cardboard boxes, air bags and bubble wrap are all added value.   Would probably have cost me a lot more to buy packaging of similar good quality for my eBay sales.

Edited by cessna152towser

• 1 month later...

I have been having a local problem with my Postman who likes to leave packages the other side of the gate on my stoop, exposed to all weathers.  Several times I have arrived home to find a soggy jiffy bag.  However, Rails have been wrapping their boxes in a plastic envelope which keeps the well packed contents protected from the worst of the Canadian weather!  A great service!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2021 at 07:54, Bishdurham said:

I have been having a local problem with my Postman who likes to leave packages the other side of the gate on my stoop, exposed to all weathers.  Several times I have arrived home to find a soggy jiffy bag.  However, Rails have been wrapping their boxes in a plastic envelope which keeps the well packed contents protected from the worst of the Canadian weather!  A great service!

I have just had a delivery from Rails down to Brisbane. Same outstanding packaging that is fully intact after a 12,500 journey.

Thanks to all at Rails

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...