A new e-mag for the micro layout enthusiast

• RMweb Gold

A very interesting read and well presented too. Well done hope to see more of the "scrapbook" for the next generation:D

Edited by slow8dirty
I can spell better than my phone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I like this a lot.

I like ‘Issue 0’ and hope we can see lots more 0 (scale or gauge) in it.

I like the international outlook with UK, US, Canadian, Indian & scope for lots more settings.

I quite like the idea of writing for it...

Dava

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dava said:

I for one will do my best ;)

This mag is a brilliant idea, I think it's going to really take off.

A teaser from me, my old O in a boxfile attempt...

000023526656.Jpeg.cd2e4595b2fe30b4f6897c9edd7a824c.Jpeg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dava said:

I like this a lot.

I like the international outlook with UK, US, Canadian, Indian & scope for lots more settings.

I quite like the idea of writing for it...

Dava

Thanks. 

The address for submissions is MMRDeditor@gmail.com 

Ian

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I for one will do my best ;)

This mag is a brilliant idea, I think it's going to really take off.

A teaser from me, my old O in a boxfile attempt...

000023526656.Jpeg.cd2e4595b2fe30b4f6897c9edd7a824c.Jpeg

I would totally be in favour of showing this layout in The Dispatch sometime. I'd forgotten all about it.

Shame on me! 

The address for submissions is MMRDeditor@gmail.com

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

I enjoyed your preview issue.

What would the largest area by scale that you would consider acceptable as a micro layout?

Gordon A

Yes great first issue.

Interesting question on whether scale impacts the area that can be considered a micro layout.  I've always considered micro layouts really need to be under 4 square feet, but that is very much with a 3.5/4mm hat on (I've seen some people describe 4x2 as micro, whereas to me that's 'small' rather than 'micro'.).  Should it be straight physical dimensions or should it be 2sq foot for N and  7sq ft for O?

42 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

I enjoyed your preview issue.

What would the largest area by scale that you would consider acceptable as a micro layout?

Gordon A

Same as it has always/traditionally been. Four square feet. 

Ian

12 minutes ago, ManofKent said:

Yes great first issue.

Interesting question on whether scale impacts the area that can be considered a micro layout.  I've always considered micro layouts really need to be under 4 square feet, but that is very much with a 3.5/4mm hat on (I've seen some people describe 4x2 as micro, whereas to me that's 'small' rather than 'micro'.).  Should it be straight physical dimensions or should it be 2sq foot for N and  7sq ft for O?

It has always been four square feet. I've seen modellers create micro layouts in 16mm scale in four square feet. 

This is one of the points of the introduction of the publication. To get people back to thinking of a micro as 4 sq.ft. and smaller. 

There's no need for any complicated fudging and mathematics to adjust sizes dependent on scale. Accept the 4 sq.ft. limit for what it is and work within it. 

I'd like to see a return to the early days of micro layout design and the creativity shown. The fiddlestick and the train turntable were developed. Sector plates and cassettes were used in ways previously unthought of. It was a great time. 

Ian

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Thanks - an excellent production. Is there a way we can "sign up" to receive future editions by email or will it be just watch out for updates on this thread? 

Glad you like it. It’s early days yet. This issue was to “test the waters”, so to speak. To gauge the interest. Which seems fairly positive right now. As things develop I’ll see about adding email sign up lists and such like.

Ian

• Like 6

Rigidly enforcing "4 square feet or less" will disqualify my latest diversion, a little plank for American O Scale that is shorter than 4ft long but 19inch wide. It would also rule out another small US O layout I built called "Schiller Point", that was a set of stabling spurs viewed 'head on', that Carl published in one of his 'scrapbook' pages (I forget which, now). That was 4ft wide at the viewing side and 8ft deep from there to the far end of the hidden staging - definitely not 'Micro' but still small when your locos average around 12 inches long each!!

I know this new mag is a wholly new and independant production, and if the 'micro' area rule is enforced so be it, but some comparisons are bound to be drawn with Carl's website, as the target audience is most likely one and the same! 

3 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Rigidly enforcing "4 square feet or less" will disqualify my latest diversion, a little plank for American O Scale that is shorter than 4ft long but 19inch wide. It would also rule out another small US O layout I built called "Schiller Point", that was a set of stabling spurs viewed 'head on', that Carl published in one of his 'scrapbook' pages (I forget which, now). That was 4ft wide at the viewing side and 8ft deep from there to the far end of the hidden staging - definitely not 'Micro' but still small when your locos average around 12 inches long each!!

I know this new mag is a wholly new and independant production, and if the 'micro' area rule is enforced so be it, but some comparisons are bound to be drawn with Carl's website, as the target audience is most likely one and the same! 

It's important to remember that even Carl drew a distinction between micro and small layouts. His website started off as the "micro layout design gallery". Then after the gallery had reached 200 schemes he expanded to include the "small layout scrapbook".

Parts of The Dispatch will have a scrabook feel, but the content will be exclusively micro. 

Ian

btw: Schiller Point is still one of my favourite small layout scrapbook schemes of all.

Edited by Ian Holmes

5 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

It's important to remember that even Carl drew a distinction between micro and small layouts. His website started off as the "micro layout design gallery". Then after the gallery had reached 200 schemes he expanded to include the "small layout scrapbook".

Yes that's true. Don't get me wrong - I can understand why you want to keep it to 'micro' as that is a defined (& for the most part, accepted) measurement; the definition of 'small' is extremely vague in comparison, and varies not just by scale but also by individual modeller & the space they have - or don't have!!

• RMweb Gold

This is  a brilliant idea, well done for bringing it to us.

I think keeping it micro within the "standard" micro dimensions is the way to go, there is plenty of flexibility with the size and it also allows 2 things, relative attainability and the possibility of re-imagining what you can do in a small space, rather than going for a fixed oblong, as you don't have to use the maximum size.

Looking forward to how this project develops.