Goods yard “ballast”

Hi All, 

I know in the real world railway companies used all sorts of materials as ballast for their track.  I feel like I can model the ballast of a running line with a reasonable level of reality but I am not sure how to approach a goods yard.

Looking at photo’s (mostly from the 60’s) many of the goods yards look like the area surrounding the track is pretty solid, with no noticeable stones etc. Probably some stone under there somewhere topped with years of detritus to make a solid looking surface, often level with the tops of the sleepers.

Has anyone found a good way of modelling such surfaces and if so, please can you share your secrets.

Many thanks

Andrew

I have found this pick elsewhere showing the sort of thing I am thinking about image.jpg

Filler has also been suggested, but how on earth do you get it between the sleepers whilst keeping it off the top of the sleepers?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew1974 said:

I have found this pick elsewhere showing the sort of thing I am thinking about image.jpg

Filler has also been suggested, but how on earth do you get it between the sleepers whilst keeping it off the top of the sleepers?

You don't. Try and avoid too much excess and then sand it back to sleeper tops. Paint a general yard wash and then repaint individual sleepers. Now repaint the track bed grime. Repeat......

I asked the very same question on another thread (can't remember which one, now) but the answer was DAS modelling putty, spread between sleepers and from track to track and then coloured using washes and powders. Haven't tried myself yet as the layout is not yet started but it did look very effective (why I asked originally).

Cheers,

Philip

2 hours ago, Andrew1974 said:

I feel like I can model the ballast of a running line with a reasonable level of reality but I am not sure how to approach a goods yard.

2 hours ago, Andrew1974 said:

Probably some stone under there somewhere topped with years of detritus to make a solid looking surface, often level with the tops of the sleepers.

Andrew,

I have an MPD and some Brewery Lines to model on my layout (future tense ...), but was planning to use a black ballast (Woodlands Scenics Fine Ballast 'Cinders' B1376) in those areas. If a 'smooth' upper surface is required, I suppose a slightly 'thicker' recipe of PVA / water glue would result in a smoother top surface to the ballast. That could then be weathered, which would give a quite smooth appearance.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

DAS air drying clay is the stuff i used on my goods yard. It can be softened by water or pva to make it spread easier. I would use 3mm ply, hardboard etc to built up the gap between tracks so its level with the sleepers, then push das clay in between the gaps. Easily painted and weathered. Pva help stops the clay from cracking. 

I didnt clean the clay off the sleepers but its would be too difficult to wipe it off while its wet.

20190318_070908.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Andrew1974 said:

Has anyone found a good way of modelling such surfaces and if so, please can you share your secrets.

There are some good folks on this forum who have produced good results. There might be enough information for you in their topics, so have a look at @KNP's Little Muddle and @Mikkel's blog. There are many more, but those will do as a start.

• Agree 1

I have been experimenting with various ballast types and have tried builders silver sand dyed black with morter dye. It looks good for black ash. Some have used play sand, foundry sand, grano chippings. 

There are very different types of silver sand so you may find a colour that suits. 

• RMweb Premium

19318DB5-2526-474F-87DF-D9E8FE53CF05.jpeg.0bc2a10bd46879a9d553763cf8c002f7.jpeg

Using a similar technique to Chris Nevard, I start with a fine grade ballast, and then overlay with wet DAS modelling clay working it into the dry ballasting 

• Like 2