BSL/Phoenix GWR corridor connectors

I'm currently building some BSL/Phoenix GWR stamped aluminum coaches with the  standard cast white metal ends supplied.

The coaches weren't supplied with corridor connectors but most of the ends have the start of them moulded on.

Having offered up some Comet coaches castings the outline is completely different. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of some that are closer to the BSL profile or is it a case of carving off the old mouldings and replacing totally?

Hopefully I dont have to go that way as I have about 20 coaches to do. Eek!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

I'm currently building some BSL/Phoenix GWR stamped aluminum coaches with the  standard cast white metal ends supplied.

The coaches weren't supplied with corridor connectors but most of the ends have the start of them moulded on.

Having offered up some Comet coaches castings the outline is completely different. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of some that are closer to the BSL profile or is it a case of carving off the old mouldings and replacing totally?

Hopefully I dont have to go that way as I have about 20 coaches to do. Eek!

I have done a number of things to resolve this.  On a GWR D94 BSL/Phoenix I carved off the whitemetal ‘start’ so its smooth and just added a homemade bellow, I also took off all the end detail, less the steps, and then added my own. I made all the handrails and gangway suspensions from bits of wire etc, as below:

1227193520_GWRD943ComptBTKW4753W(BSL-Phoenix)(3).jpg.0803b78ab7006242e4da8935cc03178f.jpg

I did this for one carriage, not sure I’d be so inclined for 20!!!

For other carriages I have either filled in the white metal ‘start’ with a spacer, normally a layer or two of roughly shaped plastic card, with the end one (which will sit proud of the whitemetal 'start') profiled to match the Comet/Roxey (or whoever’s I was using) casting, and then attaching the casting. The white metal ‘start’ gets lost under the black/brown mixture I paint the end of my vehicles. I have one BSL carriage to do and I intend to make the spacer of some sort of flexible material (dense-ish foam or rubber) so when its coupled to the adjacent vehicle there’s an allowance for compression/expansion, and then attach the bellow to that.

Hope that help.

Kind regards,

Iain

Edited by Iain.d
Typo and add a bit...
  • Thanks 1