Wire Strippers

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Q

I worked for Marconi Communications, in various departments as an assembly inspector. None of the guys on the shop floor liked us inspectors if we found something dodgy with their work. If we missed it and the error was found at the next stage, managers would appear form offices we didn't know existed to blame us for missing the fault, not the bloke who did it wrong.  All now in the past so I can have a good laugh about it. 

Radar me-self, but when I carried an inspection stamp, I was also carrying an quality stamp and test stamp. So I checked the wiremen's work, then checked myself, then tested it myself...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I was working 'on the tools' I bought myself a pair of orange coloured wire strippers from RS.  They lasted faultlessly for years and years, until finally the jaws went blunt and did not strip reliably any more.

Then I tried a cheap pair, BIG MISTAKE!  I have now recently purchased the ones from CK that everyone endorses and am very impressed with them.

Moral of this tale.....  Buy cheap, buy twice.

• Agree 1

Some years ago my sidecutters went missing at work, so on the weekend I was in Wilkinsons and saw a pair for 99p. I tested them on a card label and they gave a nice crisp 'snip' so I bought them. 

On the Monday at work I was stripping cables and I cut a 10mm² cable and the cutters felt like a hot knife through butter. When i drew the cutters away the cable was still intact, the handles on the cutters were squashed together and the jaws wide open. They must have been made from lead.

• Like 1