Jump to content

Wire Strippers


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I got a Wiah stripper from Axminster tools. It’s been absolutely brilliant, I now go round looking for wires to strip! I think there are similar models available from other makers and sources, they look a bit like crocodile jaws with two handles attached. No need to adjust them as they strip any size wire which will fit in the jaws. 

Edited by Hibelroad
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a pair of C.K. wire strippers that were originally bought for work with mains cables but which proved themselves very capable of dealing with much finer wires right down to the ones used inside locos. One of the best tools that I ever bought:

 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-wire-stripper-10-265mm/97204

 

They are good for cutting wire as well as stripping insulation. They make it easy to see just how much insulation you're going to strip.

 

Yours, Mike.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

I use a pair of C.K. wire strippers that were originally bought for work with mains cables but which proved themselves very capable of dealing with much finer wires right down to the ones used inside locos. One of the best tools that I ever bought:

 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-wire-stripper-10-265mm/97204

 

They are good for cutting wire as well as stripping insulation. They make it easy to see just how much insulation you're going to strip.

 

Yours, Mike.

Those look identical ? to the DCC Concepts ones the boss linked to.

Edited by spamcan61
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Those look identical ? to the DCC Concepts ones the boss linked to.

 

They do look pretty much the same and as I've not had any rubbish kit from Screwfix there's no reason to think the quality would be inferior. Just suggested the DCC Concepts ones as mine have been going for years.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Those look identical ? to the DCC Concepts ones the boss linked to.

 

Don't think DCC Concepts make these sort of tools and they're most likely rebadged ones - like this one - and more expensive. 

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

For which size of wire? I've found I need two.

The CK wire strippers use a very different technology that means they can handle a much wider range of wire and insulation sizes. I only need the one tool to handle everything from 32 gauge / 0.2mm wire (for decoders) to the external insulation on mains 2.5mm2 cable.

 

Yours, Mike

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What size wire do you need to strip.

I have several sets of different designs. When I needed to do 1000+ D plug connections, I tried these:

 

https://www.rapidonline.com/weicon-51000005-professional-wire-stripper-no-5-86-0320

 

I like them because they are self-adjustable & have an end stop, so you just set this & push the wire in then you get a consistent amount of wire stripped off.

They obviously have a limitation for minimum & maximum wire size. You also can't strip off a long length of insulation.

The biggest gripe I have with them is at the club: They make a nice clicking sound. While I couldn't care less about this, others seem to like the sound they make. I end up stripping a wire then 10 second later, I go to grab them & they're gone...because someone has picked them up & is clicking them.

 

These have become my 'go-to' strippers for most work because I find them so much quicker & easier to use.

 

For the very fine wire used for DCC decoders, I have only found 1 set which go fine enough:

 

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/fine-wire-strippers-pre-settable/

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I worked at Marconis in Chelmsford all the wiremen used wire strippers like these. I do when wiring up a layout and find the single action of squeezing the handles which at first grips the wire then strips it is a lot easier than other types of wire stripper I have used in the past.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

I also use one of these. It's necessary when you have restricted space. For example, I'm just having to replace the loco->tender plug on a Hornby loco and this works fine for that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2021 at 22:16, Pete the Elaner said:

What size wire do you need to strip.

I have several sets of different designs. When I needed to do 1000+ D plug connections, I tried these:

 

https://www.rapidonline.com/weicon-51000005-professional-wire-stripper-no-5-86-0320

 

I like them because they are self-adjustable & have an end stop, so you just set this & push the wire in then you get a consistent amount of wire stripped off.

They obviously have a limitation for minimum & maximum wire size. You also can't strip off a long length of insulation.

The biggest gripe I have with them is at the club: They make a nice clicking sound. While I couldn't care less about this, others seem to like the sound they make. I end up stripping a wire then 10 second later, I go to grab them & they're gone...because someone has picked them up & is clicking them.

 

These have become my 'go-to' strippers for most work because I find them so much quicker & easier to use.

 

For the very fine wire used for DCC decoders, I have only found 1 set which go fine enough:

 

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/fine-wire-strippers-pre-settable/

I found the Weicon strippers limited in that the length stop did not set short enough. They also appear cheaply made (China?) There are plenty of equivalents, much cheaper

On the other hand, although expensive, the DCC concepts fine wire strippers are excellent.

For most wires I use the strippers I got, as an apprentice, in 1982.

Jim P

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2021 at 17:42, sjp23480 said:

Got mine from Aldi - <£10. One of the most useful tools I ever bought.

 

I thought I'd save a couple a quid and bought one of these from either Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which. Found they either wouldn't strip off the insulation neatly (seemed to leave a 'stretched' portion of insulation trailing to the end of the wire), or broke some strands of wire when removing the insulation.

 

It is possible that: (a) I just got a duff item and all the others are great or (b) I wasn't using it correctly. However....

 

On 23/05/2021 at 17:24, KingEdwardII said:

I use a pair of C.K. wire strippers that were originally bought for work with mains cables but which proved themselves very capable of dealing with much finer wires right down to the ones used inside locos. One of the best tools that I ever bought:

 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-wire-stripper-10-265mm/97204

 

..... I returned the wire stripper to Aldi/Lidl and bought the CK one. Worked a treat first time, and still does. Excellent quality and reliable (although I didn't find the crimping function particularly easy to use).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Must admit I'm in the old school - I still use cutters for stripping wire (successfully). I started my career in electronics in 1964, & retired a couple of years ago, after working for basically 3 organisations. My tool kit has contained various wire strippers over the years, but I've always found the cutters quicker and easier.

 

Stewart

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2021 at 14:42, Clive Mortimore said:

When I worked at Marconis in Chelmsford all the wiremen used wire strippers like these. I do when wiring up a layout and find the single action of squeezing the handles which at first grips the wire then strips it is a lot easier than other types of wire stripper I have used in the past.

Wonder if I worked on anything you were involved in.

Yep in our Branch of Marconi that's the type that were issued, and it's the type the company I currently work for uses.

I do have a set of my own of that type. which I get out if I have a lot of wiring to do. However Like Stewart, I was originally trained just to use a pair of side cutters.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

Wonder if I worked on anything you were involved in.

Yep in our Branch of Marconi that's the type that were issued, and it's the type the company I currently work for uses.

I do have a set of my own of that type. which I get out if I have a lot of wiring to do. However Like Stewart, I was originally trained just to use a pair of side cutters.

Hi Q

 

I worked for Marconi Communications, in various departments as an assembly inspector. None of the guys on the shop floor liked us inspectors if we found something dodgy with their work. If we missed it and the error was found at the next stage, managers would appear form offices we didn't know existed to blame us for missing the fault, not the bloke who did it wrong.  All now in the past so I can have a good laugh about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, TheQ said:

use a pair of side cutters

That's all I've ever used other than the wires stripper built into the end of my thumb. 

 

My nails are so hard they will strip hook-up wire very easily.

 

Andi 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 24/05/2021 at 14:42, Clive Mortimore said:

When I worked at Marconis in Chelmsford all the wiremen used wire strippers like these

Same type here, working for a defense subcontractor supplying Marconi, MEL, Ferranti etc. back in the 80s  You'd be up before the beak if you were caught using side cutters for stripping wire. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dagworth said:

That's all I've ever used other than the wires stripper built into the end of my thumb. 

 

My nails are so hard they will strip hook-up wire very easily.

 

Andi 

Yeah, the trouble with using your teeth is that dentures come out too easily.

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...