Hornby HM2000 extremely low powered

Lek

Hi guys,

I recently bought the Hornby HM2000, the newer version with the 2-pin figure-8 power cable. I bought this as an upgrade to my kit controllers, Unfortunately there must be a fault as there is not enough power delivered to the track. At half power, the fastest of my trains barely move, when I attach carriages, there is not enough power to run the trains, even at full power.

It was an ebay purchase, so I have initiated a return, but just wanted to know if anyone else is suffering with painfully slow trains whilst using this controller. Having zero faith in the Hornby controller now, I've ordered a Gaugemaster Model Q 4-output controller, hopefully once it arrives I'll get more mileage from that one.

On 24/05/2021 at 12:14, Lek said:

Hi guys,

I recently bought the Hornby HM2000, the newer version with the 2-pin figure-8 power cable. I bought this as an upgrade to my kit controllers, Unfortunately there must be a fault as there is not enough power delivered to the track. At half power, the fastest of my trains barely move, when I attach carriages, there is not enough power to run the trains, even at full power.

It was an ebay purchase, so I have initiated a return, but just wanted to know if anyone else is suffering with painfully slow trains whilst using this controller. Having zero faith in the Hornby controller now, I've ordered a Gaugemaster Model Q 4-output controller, hopefully once it arrives I'll get more mileage from that one.

Unusual if the same fault is on both channels. Normally if an internal component fails it will relate to one side or the other as control circuits are obviously duplicated. The only common denominator is the mains transformer primary and the protective thermo ‘fuse’.

24 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Unusual if the same fault is on both channels. Normally if an internal component fails it will relate to one side or the other as control circuits are obviously duplicated. The only common denominator is the mains transformer primary and the protective thermo ‘fuse’.

Judjing by the fairly light weight, my guess is it's a switch mode, linear supplies tend to be much heavier. If my assumption is correct and it is a switch mode, my guess is possibly a JFET, they're known to weaken over time. Either way, I've lost faith in the Hornby now.

I've not looked inside, but I heard the earlier HM2000's were a lot heavier, so I'm assuming they used linear supplies.