New Hornby Models - "Unavailable"??

Bulleidboy100

I could not see any mention of this in previous threads, but has anyone noticed that a number of still to be released loco's in the Hornby catalogue are now showing as "Unavailable". As far as I can see the models are:

R3836 Standard 2MT

R3837 Standard 2MT - Hornby Collector Club Special - no longer mentioned or shown. I ordered this on announcement and have received emailed confirmation of the order.

R3988 9F Evening Star - Ordered on announcement and received emailed confirmation of the order.

R3991 Flying Scotsman

May be the full allocation has been pre-ordered and they don't want to disappoint people?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I pre-ordered a R3836 almost a year ago as 78047 was a Hawick engine, not that I ever saw the life size version as I only moved into Hawick after the railway closed but my wife said it was a must have.    I recently cancelled my pre-order as life has moved on meantime.  I wonder whether I would have ever seen it anyway, after the issue last year with Hornby pre-orders where they took too many orders for the Captain Tom class 66, and for which luckily a friendly trader whom I had bought from previously had put one aside for me otherwise I would still be waiting.

2 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I could not see any mention of this in previous threads, but has anyone noticed that a number of still to be released loco's in the Hornby catalogue are now showing as "Unavailable". As far as I can see the models are:

R3836 Standard 2MT

R3837 Standard 2MT - Hornby Collector Club Special - no longer mentioned or shown. I ordered this on announcement and have received emailed confirmation of the order.

R3988 9F Evening Star - Ordered on announcement and received emailed confirmation of the order.

R3991 Flying Scotsman

May be the full allocation has been pre-ordered and they don't want to disappoint people?

Or it might be a cac-handed way of saying not yet available?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

51 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Unavailable on the Hornby website means that the allocation to the Hornby webshop has been sold out on pre-order.

I think it could be stated a little clearer, for example - "Pre-order allocation sold-out" - just "Unavailable" prompts the question "why".

• Agree 2

Yes. A bit of clarity would be of help.

As an example I'm a member of the Collectors Club. Why can't I order the 2MT? Or at least have a page saying "This item has now sold out" telling me that I've missed out.

If I've missed out I might try and find a different version instead.

Total shambles.

Jason

It might be worth a phone call to Customer Services?  The Collectors Club R3837 BR Standard 2MT 78022 just disappeared. It is no longer listed anywhere - it doesn't even say "Unavailable".

I ordered mine on the 10th February 2021.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
amendment
  • Like 1

To the "Unavailable" list (as opposed to "Out of Stock") can be added:-

R3761 Peckett W4

R3892 Class 91 111

R3948 APT power car

R30071 Cl 153 Scotrail

R30077 HST Midland Pullman power cars

R40011/2/3 APT coach packs

R40170 Midland Pullman FO

Edited by Going Spare
correction of info

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Disappearing models? Could events in the Suez Canal be involved?

I suppose that is possible, but why completely remove something that had been advertised as being available later in the year. Hornby have for years been criticised for saying an item will arrive in, for example March, and it arrives in December. To me this is not a problem, as Hornby do not take payment until they are about to post the item to you. As I've told members on the Hornby Forum many times  "it will arrive when it arrives" - some get quite paranoid if it's a day late. 

Just a few more words on the Hornby site would satisfy everyone (well most!).

Agreed, but would not flagging the items as "Pre-order for Summer 2022", or as appropriate, be preferable to "Unavailable" which has a ring of cancelled rather than delayed.  Strange that the Midland Pullman power cars and just one coach are delayed, if that is the case, rather than the complete unit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Going Spare said:

Agreed, but would not flagging the items as "Pre-order for Summer 2022", or as appropriate, be preferable to "Unavailable" which has a ring of cancelled rather than delayed.  Strange that the Midland Pullman power cars and just one coach are delayed, if that is the case, rather than the complete unit.

You are confusing two different things, the delivery quarter (blue box below the product image) and the availability of the Hornby website allocation (green or red box below the product code).

image.png.78724d57992dbf815093c46b267101c5.png

The Midland Pullman Power Cars are listed as 'Pre-order for Winter 21/22' and 'Unavailable'. This means that it is currently due in Winter 21/22 and the Hornby website has pre-sold all of its allocation.

Whereas the other Power Cars are listed as 'Pre-order for Autumn 21' and 'Available To Pre-order' meaning that they are currently expected in the Autumn and the Hornby Website hasn't pre-sold all of its allocation.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

15 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

As I've told members on the Hornby Forum many times  "it will arrive when it arrives" - some get quite paranoid if it's a day late. 

To be fair, that’s not a characteristic that’s unique to the Hornby forum! ;)

2 hours ago, Going Spare said:

So, if "Unavailable" means Sold Out as far as Hornby's direct sale stock is concerned, what does "Out of Stock" mean, if not the same thing, and if so, why use "Unavailable"?

"Out of stock" means they arrived, were in stock and have been sold since. In the case above, the stock has yet to arrive, and what is expecting to arrive has "probably" been sold out on pre-order. The probably part can change if a customer cancels or they receive more stock.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Agree 1

Yes very obvious this happens , with the rocket open carriages last year it iterated for a few days between unavailable then available to order then back again, in one if those iterations I managed to get a couple, it then went unavailable and then a day or two later back to available but they soon went too.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I got confused when I saw 'Evening Star' available on the good Kernow site and unavailable on the Hornby site. All things being equal I hope to get an 'Evening Star', as well as another 9F. On another matter, I noted 1 Brit and 2 Clans, something of a surprise. I would have hoped it was the other way around.....looks like I will be a proud owner of all the Clan Class at this rate.

• Agree 1

On 25/05/2021 at 19:45, Going Spare said:

Personally the last thing I’d interpret “unavailable” as meaning is cancelled, so I agree that clearer wording is needed as clearly people’s interpretation can vary widely!

• Agree 1