Concrete coloured spray paint

Please forgive me if this has been asked before. 

Can anyone suggest a good spray paint to represent concrete? I have used Tamiya's light grey primer in the past but I'm now thinking something more generally available, any thoughts? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I would agree with Tamiya Deck Tan as that's what I've generally been using to represent concrete on my layouts, though I have mixed my own (for brush application, not spraying) using a combination of a couple of colours from B&Q "Tester" paint containers for the various concrete structures being built for my OO Loco Depot/Inspection Shed/Coaling Tower/Turntable Pit.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/05/2021 at 07:31, Johann Marsbar said:

I would agree with Tamiya Deck Tan as that's what I've generally been using to represent concrete on my layouts, though I have mixed my own (for brush application, not spraying) using a combination of a couple of colours from B&Q "Tester" paint containers for the various concrete structures being built for my OO Loco Depot/Inspection Shed/Coaling Tower/Turntable Pit.

May I ask what colour testers? 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Any of these suitable for overpaint of a Superquick card bridge face (brick at the moment, needs to be Concrete...... don't ask)?  Thanks!

Ive used Tamiya colours over card but have to becareful they dont make card soggy 

7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I ask what colour testers? 

To be honest, I can't remember now!

One of them was definitely Dulux Buttermilk (it's in the original pot from that) which was one I obtained to paint a G-Scale station building I had scratchbuilt. That building also used a pale grey (another Dulux tester) for the bottom sections of the wood and somewhere in the 6 years since then, they were both combined into one pot, with some matt white and possibly some black which ended up with the "concrete" looking colour I am using now.

I used it for the base of an Airfix turntable and it came out looking OK after some weathering, and have used it for the concrete sections of the loco shed (a condensed version of the 1950's Ipswich shed building) and the inspection shed (also based on the Ipswich Structure. With any luck, I've got enough left for the coaling tower before I run out of it!!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

To be honest, I can't remember now!

One of them was definitely Dulux Buttermilk (it's in the original pot from that) which was one I obtained to paint a G-Scale station building I had scratchbuilt. That building also used a pale grey (another Dulux tester) for the bottom sections of the wood and somewhere in the 6 years since then, they were both combined into one pot, with some matt white and possibly some black which ended up with the "concrete" looking colour I am using now.

I used it for the base of an Airfix turntable and it came out looking OK after some weathering, and have used it for the concrete sections of the loco shed (a condensed version of the 1950's Ipswich shed building) and the inspection shed (also based on the Ipswich Structure. With any luck, I've got enough left for the coaling tower before I run out of it!!

Thanks. Think I will have a bit of a mix of old pots I have lurking. Your shed area looks great. 

• Friendly/supportive 1