Jump to content

Hoo Ness Railway


Recommended Posts

A smattering of progress made today. I managed to draw up and print a little Hibberd body shell for the new chassis. Unfortunately despite pumping as much lead into it as I could it doesn't run particularly well. I didn't really expect it to, I think it's just simply too small. It will do a few laps though so all is not lost. The body shell itself came out nice too. I may get one of the slightly larger versions of the chassis at some point as I suspect they may run a tad better.

 

20210619_221725-01.jpeg.1a434f32e8c1a506d2143728bfadd615.jpeg

 

The birdlife has been painted too. Particularly pleased with the Canada Geese. There's also a couple of seagulls, Godwits, Ruddy Ducks, and a Heron hanging about, all apparently found around the Medway Estuary in real life.

 

20210619_223013-01.jpeg.a8bb872c4f5b5930339d1e43007fb5bc.jpeg

 

20210619_222244-01.jpeg.435dedf70b3856bf71db9410dfe3a9a0.jpeg

 

20210619_223030-01.jpeg.93748a77ed13be8c2ba97ad5ee16c388.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Those Canada Geese look superb.

 

Yes you'll see Canada Geese, Herons and Godwits (both species) around the Medway Estuary. Gull wise you'll see plenty of Herring Gull , Black Headed Gulls and both Lesser and Great Black Backed Gulls - Common Gulls aren't common though.

 

Ruddy Ducks aren't completely impossible but very unlikely - they've all but been eradicated from the UK, it's very much a question of when you're model is set. The UK population didn't get that established until the 1970s (derived from escapees in late 40's). Not uncommon through 80's and 90's then pretty much shot out of existence in last 20 yrs to protect the Spanish White Duck population.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Locksley said:

A smattering of progress made today. I managed to draw up and print a little Hibberd body shell for the new chassis. Unfortunately despite pumping as much lead into it as I could it doesn't run particularly well. I didn't really expect it to, I think it's just simply too small. It will do a few laps though so all is not lost. The body shell itself came out nice too. I may get one of the slightly larger versions of the chassis at some point as I suspect they may run a tad better.

 

20210619_221725-01.jpeg.1a434f32e8c1a506d2143728bfadd615.jpeg

 

The birdlife has been painted too. Particularly pleased with the Canada Geese. There's also a couple of seagulls, Godwits, Ruddy Ducks, and a Heron hanging about, all apparently found around the Medway Estuary in real life.

 

20210619_223013-01.jpeg.a8bb872c4f5b5930339d1e43007fb5bc.jpeg

 

20210619_222244-01.jpeg.435dedf70b3856bf71db9410dfe3a9a0.jpeg

 

20210619_223030-01.jpeg.93748a77ed13be8c2ba97ad5ee16c388.jpeg

Is that a spot of goose poo on the decking...

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Those Canada Geese look superb.

 

Yes you'll see Canada Geese, Herons and Godwits (both species) around the Medway Estuary. Gull wise you'll see plenty of Herring Gull , Black Headed Gulls and both Lesser and Great Black Backed Gulls - Common Gulls aren't common though.

 

Ruddy Ducks aren't completely impossible but very unlikely - they've all but been eradicated from the UK, it's very much a question of when you're model is set. The UK population didn't get that established until the 1970s (derived from escapees in late 40's). Not uncommon through 80's and 90's then pretty much shot out of existence in last 20 yrs to protect the Spanish White Duck population.

 

Cheers! The Ruddy Ducks are maybe slightly out of place, however the layout is very loosely set so it could probably be anywhere from the 50s to the 80s.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventually got around to painting up the rusty pipes. These were given a quick basecoat of RLM75 grey through the airbrush, followed by Wilder Aqualine rust colours. Starting with an overall coat of the lightest, then stippling the darker 2 tones over the top and wet blending them together. Finally, I splattered all 3 colours over the top from a large brush to get some random variation. Next job will be to get the photo etch weeds down, a few Modelu figures, and then I need to think about getting some resin in to pour the Medway.

 

20210620_124058-01.jpeg.f2be4493647101a0dcf6e155eb7c7c16.jpeg

 

20210620_125132-01.jpeg.33d49266e0e92b92c62af7f9f963e233.jpeg

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Locksley said:

The Ruddy Ducks are maybe slightly out of place...

You only need to worry about the small group in the intersection of the Venn diagram showing train and bird spotters. No-one else will notice!

It's looking rather good.

  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting quite close to calling this one done. I weathered up the Oxford 109 and tractor, along with a pair of rowing boats I found on Thingiverse and 3d printed. One of these will be dumped on land, the other will be in the water. Talking of which, I've ordered some strips of acrylic to dam the areas that will be filled with resin, which I'm very excited about lol. I still need to finish painting up some Modelu workmen, and add the rest of the PE weeds.

 

20210620_185051-01.jpeg.8a3447611d430b6f26239c479860f709.jpeg

 

20210620_185106-01.jpeg.15a32095511c88ddbb21632d22c7a1b9.jpeg

 

20210620_185119-01.jpeg.2b9e7e2ce673ffc9fbb3afde2076c589.jpeg

 

20210620_185339-01.jpeg.11799f1655e7ecadd8c10edea658c854.jpeg

 

  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, thirty2a said:

simple stunning, I don't see mention of rolling stock (I may have missed it) can we assume side tipplers? 

Tony

 

Thanks Tony! So far I have 5 Dundas GVT open wagons and a Roco tippler that stilll need painting up & weight/load adding. I'll certainly be grabbing a couple of Hudson tipplers too at some point.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Very impressed with the look and feel of this layout. The painting and weathering in particular. 

 

I think those Canada Geese must be the most convincing model birds I've ever seen.

  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Having been pointed this way by @Mikkel I have spent an enjoyable half-hour following your progress. Absolutely marvellous. I grew up in Gillingham and, at the time, never realised that the island was there, although I have to say that the nearest I got to the mud was the swimming pool at The Strand.

 

I am impressed by the way that you have used skills and materials from the military/diorama modelling fraternity. You have another follower!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Had a bit of a break due to various other projects, work, commissions, decorating spare rooms etc, but I've finally managed to get some resin poured today. Channelling my inner Luke Towan (of Boulder Creek Railroad, check his channel on YouTube if you haven't already!) I used an entire 500ml set off amazon, a quick test piece seemed to give good results mixed with Vallejo Burnt Umber for a nice muddy look. The resin seems to need at least 24h to cure, plus a bit more until it's properly solid. It also has absolutely no smell which was a surprise to me, my only other experience with casting resin I remember it stinking to high heaven. 

 

I placed an acrylic dam around the perimeter, sealed with hot glue. Amazingly I can't see any leaks (or indeed leeks), fingers crossed it will stay that way overnight. I could have done with about 100ml more, the front section is just a tad shallower than I really wanted so I have ordered a second 250ml set which I'll add once this has fully cured, along with the rowing boat. I'm anticipating some serious sanding work around the edge once the acrylic is removed, but once that's all smoothed off I can get some black paint around the edge, and finally put a layer of gloss Mod Podge over the water to give a rippled effect.

 

20210830_133016-01.jpeg.e0dd8c34722ee9f27f8b89fc162d84f1.jpeg

 

20210830_134738-01.jpeg.869862ea820235785a314df6d57ea807.jpeg

 

 

Edited by Locksley
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few gratuitous close ups of the now nearly fully cured resin. There is something so incredibly satisfying about things in clear resin :D

 

Still needs a second pour, but I'm very happy with the results so far. Those odd bubbles on the surface are entirely my doing, I went over the resin with a blow torch immediately after pouring which worked really well to get rid of any initial bubbles, however I then had the idea to go over it again about an hour later which brought more bubbles to the surface and popped them, but the resin had had just enough time to be come viscous enough that it didn't self level again :wacko: Shouldn't be a problem, the next pour will hopefully just cover them over.

 

20210831_103407-01.jpeg.c6120cb8080c6f74edd0eaa61f4bcdb0.jpeg

 

20210831_103415-01.jpeg.2e1c92de9976341d79755f62bd74e739.jpeg

 

20210831_103426-01.jpeg.74e99bdd8596615a78290980eea10be3.jpeg

 

20210831_103440-01.jpeg.c8d3530ef227d36a7f57b26c508e33a5.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Locksley said:

A few gratuitous close ups of the now nearly fully cured resin. There is something so incredibly satisfying about things in clear resin :D

 

Still needs a second pour, but I'm very happy with the results so far. Those odd bubbles on the surface are entirely my doing, I went over the resin with a blow torch immediately after pouring which worked really well to get rid of any initial bubbles, however I then had the idea to go over it again about an hour later which brought more bubbles to the surface and popped them, but the resin had had just enough time to be come viscous enough that it didn't self level again :wacko: Shouldn't be a problem, the next pour will hopefully just cover them over.

 

20210831_103407-01.jpeg.c6120cb8080c6f74edd0eaa61f4bcdb0.jpeg

 

20210831_103415-01.jpeg.2e1c92de9976341d79755f62bd74e739.jpeg

 

20210831_103426-01.jpeg.74e99bdd8596615a78290980eea10be3.jpeg

 

20210831_103440-01.jpeg.c8d3530ef227d36a7f57b26c508e33a5.jpeg

Explain them away as methane from the Thames...

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thought had crossed my mind to add some fish and/or weed but I feel like that's the kind of thing that could look great but I have a very high chance of messing up lol.

 

Second resin pour done, definitely level this time! It was about 10mm or so down on the left hand side so no wonder it was shallower over on the right :D

 

20210901_135735-02.jpeg.d448d5853c9fa2692ed39b7bc044ec83.jpeg

 

20210901_135744-01.jpeg.6c4b77083fc64432cf2109f518ed4e62.jpeg

  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the semi-submerged hulk. Spot on.

My sister thought she glimpsed a seal in the river right there at Hoo Marina, last time she was there (August), but it put its head back under water and she never saw it again.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...