SCENIC GRASS MATS

Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone could offer any opinions/experience in using these grass mats please? For the first time ever I want to model a small, flat,  local authority type park area. I have no problem with rural settings, but have never had to model a maintained grass area. I have tried with the usual flock but I am not happy with the result. Also I don't think that static grass would be appropriate, as I feel even the shortest fibres would be too long? I have been researching who sells grass mats and have found Gaugemaster & Javis, (other makes???) who both offer a choice of shades. I prefer a lighter shade, but from the illustrations I have seen they seem to feature random red threads within the mat! So I wondered if anyone has had  success with their use, and if they have altered it any way, or have been satisfied as supplied?

Many thanks in advance,

Best to all,

exmoordave

• RMweb Gold

I used a Javis grass mat for the middle in-fill on my layout but i enhanced it by adding static grass and flock etc. I wanted to fill the access hole with something light and easily removable so i hinged one frame with the grass mat stretched over and a second lift out frame, again using the grass mat. Simple enough to fix down with a hot glue gun. You could airbrush different shades and add textures, or add static grass to patches. 

20200430_175944.jpg

20180515_070801.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks Ian for your thoughts. I gather Woodland Scenics sell one as well, which is much more expensive than Javis, so I assume it's of much better quality? The look I'm after would be a well-manicured look, but using an airbrush for slightly different colouring would be a possibility. From what I could see on your pics, the light green area is certainly the colour I need and the mat looks quite 'thick'?  So thank you for the ideas.

Best wishes,

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I would say woodland scenic would be thicker and uses better quality fibres bit i havent seen it in the flesh so cant comment. The light colour was the original short fibres around 1-2mm long. The paper backing is quite thick so it doesnt form to sharp small contours without it creasing but good enough for a flattish surfaces as a starting point. With a few lumps underneath it will undulate quite nicely. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I found that the Woodlands Scenics mats worked quite well. I had a large area to cover (a couple of fields) and what I did in the end was roughly create the underlying scenery from polystyrene layers (just putting down layers and leaving the edges 'stepped'). Then I smeared globs of wall filler here and there to create lumps and bumps. Then I glued the mats to that. At the stepped bits I randomly pushed the mats down and added a few weights. Once dry, add scatter to hide the joins so that it looks like a hedge.

I like the result.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VT2A2EmXWprZA9cCA

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your thoughts, it is much appreciated. The Woodland Scenics ones look quite good. I did try to research the Heki ones, but the size I need does not seem to be available at the moment. Ah well, time to make a decision.....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that Sam. I havn't heard of Tasma before? I did decide to try the Woodland Scenics one anyway, and have shaped and stuck it down. Just need to personalise it with a couple of flower beds, paths etc. I shall certainly research the Tasma ones though. Thanks again.

Dave