More Mainline N2 info needed.

Hi all,

I am now the proud owner of 3 mainline N2's. I need to know how the body is held on at the back of the engine. It is a screw at the front. But one of my engines is loose at the back. The other 2 are fine. But I cannot see where at the back it is fastened to the chassis to stop it moving ?. Any one know how it is fastened so I can fix this.

Thanks

Edited by cypherman

• cypherman changed the title to More Mainline N2 info needed.
  • RMweb Premium

I just looked at mine. There seems to be a big screw hidden under the bogie. I can have a better look if you want. ignore this comment -- see below.

Edited by BR60103

On mine, the only body fixing screw is the one at the front, directly below the chimney - the one beneath the pony truck is I think for the motor mounting, it certainly doesn't engage with the body. 

At the back, two small protrusions on the rear face of the chassis fit into two holes on the back of the bufferbeam.

D

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick picture, may help:

IMG_4099.jpg.d378ca7275ef70e32da996f2e0c28ca5.jpg

Left to right, original Mainline chassis, current Hornby chassis and current Hornby body. On the Mainline ones, the two pips at A locate into holes in the rear of the body moulding, into the backs of the buffers in fact.

The current Hornby body has sprung buffers so this no longer works, and the mouldings have been modified.  The lugs at B are shaped to represent the outer lamp irons and fit into holes in the rear of the bunker at C.

The current Hornby body also has square holes on the bufferbeam either side of the draw hook, which hints that there might have been a third method of attach at one time, maybe what Darryl refers to although I haven't got any that are like that myself.

In each case, as Darryl says the only screw attaching the body is the one at the front.  On the Hornby model the head looks the same as the screws that attach the keeper plate, but in fact it is longer and screws into a pillar in the body.

The above also shows the different types of motor, and how the Hornby chassis has been modified for DCC by deleting the big ballast weight.  They have made up for it to some extent by a die cast 'slug' in the front of the boiler, but it's quite easy to improve adhesion further by gluing slabs of lead inside the side tanks.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1