Hornby R4996 Mk3 DVT Intercity Swallow

davidprentice

Hi

Am I alone in noticing a quality problem with the newest Mk3 DVT from Hornby - R4996 in Intercity Swallow?

The issue I have is that the spring-equipped doors to the drivers cab are (perhaps like me?!) very fussy. You push them in and then they are a total pain to get to reseat properly, without looking like they are left ajar. It's an issue I've not had before on the doors of either HSTs, DVTs, 08s, 60s, etc.

Be interested to know if others have had the DVT issue... or the same door issue on other recent stuff?

Having also recently had a bad experience with a Hornby HST, I'm increasingly minded to try to resist buying any more stuff as the quality just doesn't seem to be what it was.

David

Got mine, really pleased to finally have a Intercity one but I have 1 question regarding the windscreen surrounds. They are finished in Silver/Grey on the front. Is this correct? (I’m not saying it’s not) 

Only been able to find pictures of them black but that could be down to weathering etc?

Many Thanks,

Chris

0D72D974-6EB7-412A-A405-7ACBABDF8773.jpeg

3 hours ago, chris37422 said:

Got mine, really pleased to finally have a Intercity one but I have 1 question regarding the windscreen surrounds. They are finished in Silver/Grey on the front. Is this correct? (I’m not saying it’s not) 

Only been able to find pictures of them black but that could be down to weathering etc?

Many Thanks,

Chris

Lots of photos on flickr sadly show it as being black rather than silver. But presume Hornby got this scheme from somewhere...

• Like 1

I've seen a number of complaints over on various Facebook pages with regards to the light bleed on these, as well as the extra moulding line (tool crack perhaps?). I wonder if it's a batch wide issue or just a handful of DVTs with the issue?  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Lots of photos on flickr sadly show it as being black rather than silver. But presume Hornby got this scheme from somewhere...

I couldn't find any of the BR liveried ones with silver window frames either but did find a Network Rail one: https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2D-017-004.jpg

A previous Hornby model of the Mark 3 DVT (R4435) had black window frames.

• Like 1

I assume these a new release?

I got 2 the first time around & don't need any more (although I do have a Hurst kit I've nearly finished), so I have not paid much attention to any re-release.

If so, they still have the Virgin front grille (The intercity one had a Swallow etched in it). I don't have any noticeable light bleed with mine but I have Bachmann 3 & 4 function decoders in mine & the cab light is always on in the forward direction & the forward light is always in the day position. Have they changed the lighting options at all?

4 minutes ago, InterCity80s said:

I couldn't find any of the BR liveried ones with silver window frames either but did find a Network Rail one: https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2D-017-004.jpg

A previous Hornby model of the Mark 3 DVT (R4435) had black window frames.

The Network Rail DVT from KMRC which happens to be 82124 and was released some time ago also has silver windscreen surrounds as per the  photo in the link.

Edited by martin_l_jones

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

The Network Rail DVT from KMRC which happens to be 82124 and was released some time ago also has silver windscreen surrounds as per the  photo in the link.

One of each?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, surfsup said:

I've seen a number of complaints over on various Facebook pages with regards to the light bleed on these, as well as the extra moulding line (tool crack perhaps?). I wonder if it's a batch wide issue or just a handful of DVTs with the issue?  

I have the newly released NR version and the light bleed is pretty bad.

Theres pretty serious light bleed (see images) and the moulding line on the side of the cab roof is pretty pronounced and looks a bit like a crack. I've spoken to Hornby and they are offering to paint the inside of the cabs and sand down the cab mould (and paint the window frames black) if models are returned to them via their customer service team.

R4996 Light Bleed.jpg

R4966 Roof Line.jpg

R4859 Comparison.jpg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, blueeighties said:

That's pretty dire quality. I bought some of these a few years ago for £19.99, quite a hike to £79.99. They didn't have these issues back then.

I agree, I have the Wrexham and Shropshire and Arriva Trains Wales DVT's and there are none of these issues. THe new price is taking the mickey frankly given the issues. Certainly won't be buying any more.

• Agree 3

• 10 months later...

Well, here’s my issue. 

I returned one to Hattons as I couldn’t remove the body because the factory had overtightened 2 of the screws into the brass inserts which meant when I came to fit a chip the screws just chewed the inserts in the plastic which then obviously not come out.

so I have now just received this abortion…

290DF0A7-DEED-4437-B477-E34914C50040.jpeg.3e59eef7c1fec8d152ea9e714a677fa9.jpeg

31BE280C-0E9C-4C35-9985-A057584E16BD.jpeg.c8e32928f3d058641824f8d5d417a161.jpeg

62AC1C0F-687F-4B08-8FF4-526E99DC7A46.jpeg.0dc185909e4bb800f0680cfbbdda7585.jpeg

6B5B76A8-80A9-4D83-826B-2D05BA325A3E.jpeg.562e9790f1ad3c5cc26ebfb509062612.jpeg

It appears to be vapours from superglue or something and doesn’t rub off, so the entire roof need respraying. Hornbys quality control is a disgrace, and until they sort it out, this will be the last Hornby product I buy. 

Im in Australia, and with current postal delays, this one took 6 weeks to get to me from when I sent the old one back, and that was over 4 weeks shipping too.