Class 121 Engine Sound

Standby

I've just bought a Bachmann Class 121 with the factory fitted sound and if I apply the slightest amount of throttle and immediately return it to zero the engine keeps spooling up for another 8 seconds or so before returning to idle.  Would this be how it is on the prototype?

2 hours ago, Standby said:

Would this be how it is on the prototype?

Definitely not.

Both the Legomanbiffo 117/121 project and Digitrains Leyland DMU project are much better programmed in that you can just do a quick blip of the throttle for slow movements around the depot; on both projects you can manually change the gears for the main line. 

On the Digitrains one it also has a "lightly loaded" mode (F5) which gives shorter acceleration sounds going through the gear changes.

Not sure if you can get your factory fitted sound decoder reblown though.  If it's a ESU Loksound then Charlie would be able to advise you.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, cravensdmufan said:

Definitely not.

Thank you, I thought as much. I'll email the shop I bought it from to see what they say. Certainly makes slow movements unrealistic, and the engine happily revving as it comes to a halt is annoying. Not sure if it's just the loco I have or a large oversight by Bachmann.

Neil

The decoder IF fitted by Dapol is from Mr Soundguy on Zimo.

IF the decoder is fitted by the shop and is an ESU Decoder then I will sort out a good deal for you, just send me your model and I will sort it out, if its a Zimo Decoder then we cannot help.

PM me on:   charlie@dckits.co.uk

• Like 2

OP says that it's a Bachmann model so I'd guess ESU so Charlie will help.

If it's a Zimo decoder in it (but I doubt it) then Digitrains have excellent sounds for Zimo.

(No connection with either organisation, just a very happy customer of both). 

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems that the Bachmann sound is working as it should be, pretty poor I think, but there you go. It's certainly put me off buying factory fitted sounds from them.

It is actually a Zimo decoder, I'll have a chat with Digitrains as they are also sorting out sound on a Heljan 07 for me.

Neil

• Like 1

I also emailed Bachmann to ask if the engine sound should rev for this long. This was their reply:

"The rev up & back to idle sequence has to take a certain amount of time , you cannot cut it short without it sounding like it has been suddenly cut off which would sound odd .

It’s like ‘blipping’ your cars throttle , the revs take certain amount of time to build up & fade away & you cannot shorten that time ."

Neil

5 hours ago, charliepetty said:

The Digitains 'Paul Chetter' version is the best, insist on that.  Charlie

Perfect. I'm sending my decoder off next week.

For £15 it's worth hearing the difference.

Neil

Edited by Standby
  • Agree 1