Lionheart / Dapol B set couplings

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

A friend has just acquired a set second hand and asking how the screw link coupling. Is fitted as there were no instructions as it was s/h. 

I’ve not got hands on the coach but these are the sullied parts so I assume the flat bracket is a close coupling cam and the spring attaches it to the srewlink hook?

Additionally is there wiring for the lamp or do you hardwire it to the pickups?

393510AC-A81B-48CD-A1BB-9BE9DB77AAD9.jpeg.882b4f9d199ff37d3b01fdc8738dcbca.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

A friend has just acquired a set second hand and asking how the screw link coupling. Is fitted as there were no instructions as it was s/h. 

I’ve not got hands on the coach but these are the sullied parts so I assume the flat bracket is a close coupling cam and the spring attaches it to the srewlink hook?

I never looked at the Coupling Paul, when I had a B Set, but the Tail Lamp should be just the wires through the two holes. The Bogies have the pick up on for that and the interior lighting. I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

If you have a pair then they couple together using the cam, which is sprung and a hook that isnt in your photo, which fits the slot. 

The screw links just fit through the buffer beam as normal, at the outer end for a pair or either end for a single coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Ok so the hook isn’t sprung then but solid and glues in the bufferbeam. 
Ok that all makes sense thanks :) 

Mine are in the loft so I cant check until I next go up. I'd have thought the screw links were sprung as well but perhaps not.

• RMweb Gold

Well there’s no split pin and compression spring in his pic so I guess not. He’s going to drop it off for me to look at so I’ll see if I can modify it to be sprung as I’m used to the hook being sprung too. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Best to buy a new pair of Couplings for the outer ends Paul, You will need one to couple to the Loco, or add a Milk Tank or Wagon to the Rear of the Train, A pack of Couplings come with Split pins and Springs. This was on my Pen Y Bont Layout.

669384271_RunningSession2014.JPG.c3c5e3d6a2e43ec174fdddb34082295f.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know if he has any intention of a layout for it, he’s mostly a collector of things he likes and just runs them on a test track. He’s as bad as me with multiple scales and themes! ;) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

If themodel is from a two or four coach set it will have the short buffers fitted on the non guards end as the sets were close coupled. A single coach is/was also available which had standard buffers and screw links at both ends.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Going slightly off topic but whilst I've seen photos of the brake thirds from the 4 coach set in individual use (one on the Looe branch appears a lot) I've never actually seen an E140 brake composite running as a single coach. Did this happen much?

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2021 at 22:55, Quintus said:

If themodel is from a two or four coach set it will have the short buffers fitted on the non guards end as the sets were close coupled. A single coach is/was also available which had standard buffers and screw links at both ends.

I bought a single coach LHT-633 and it doesn’t have standard buffers on the non Guards end, it has the short ones and the ungainly close coupling hook.

34ADA9E8-FA6F-4326-B587-BBF2449D9639.jpeg