Tri-ang and Tri-ang Hornby Military rolling stock, etc...NATO and Battlespace.

Even then they could be sourced cheaply from the Far East (Japan rather than China). Even the Dublo starter loco used one. (This had a life expectancy of 200 hours which probably explains why I have a body with no chassis. I wonder if a Lima chassis can be persuaded to fit?)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 07:25, Enterprisingwestern said:

image.png.ffb46254f0604352234e8b9eb90ee10b.png

I have no doubt you wouldn't get away with this sort of thing nowadays, the do-gooders know better, although reading them didn't turn me into warmonger!

Mike.

Only because the publishers went bust in the 1980s.  :prankster:

All reissued in recent years. Look in cheap bargain bookshops as they have the compilations, usually based on a theme.

Commando is still available to buy in your local WHSmiths. 

Still going strong, Commando prints four issues every two weeks — two all-new issues and two classic reprints from the Gold and Silver Collections.

Now on issue 5498!

https://www.commandocomics.com/

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

For some reason I always thought the Turbo Car was a shortened model of this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjM8J7cy-j0AhWSUMAKHQ6SCvYQwqsBegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsH3mqj-pkLQ&usg=AOvVaw2-S6-A5143Bcjsf0zzQnkk

An account of some earlier ones may be found here

https://oldmachinepress.com/2021/03/05/rail-zeppelin-propeller-driven-railcar-schienenzeppelin/

There was also a propeller driven trolley made using an engine and prop off a wrecked aircraft.  This was built and used by german railway engineers in Palestine during WW1 and subsequently captured.   SORRY I cannot find a link for this

If you think these were MAD  lookup the French Propeller cars - Helica, Helicon, L'eclair.   These were actually used on the roads.

Clive

• Like 3

The one Turbo Car chassis in our collection has a motor with TKK JAPAN Moulded onto the white part either side of the shaft…

As well as a broken suppression capacitor.

Some restoration required…;)

45B16C44-DCBE-4AB0-86A9-C61CD8BDF2C3.jpeg.7fb6ef12f05f204c371beea609061109.jpeg

D449F8AB-CAF2-422C-B473-A88F3368E7B0.jpeg.a6b10bdc22b234543c3864cc6b79919c.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 5

Triang tristrol, plenty about so decided this make quick conversion to a larger "warwell" what I got was quite a striking wagon

20211224_204847.jpg.48213450b67e5146dbb5d09b653c7776.jpg

Not finished painting but on test to see if fits loading gauge using the tank which tends to be the most difficult due to height

From above it's quite impressive kind of got an "American" feel about it

20211224_233854.jpg.98a2b25c50aac202c2ab3d6df73bbb01.jpg

20211224_233849.jpg

• Like 3

I know they are American and aren't vintage, but these are new to me. 

Exploding boxcars, missile wagons, tank buster boxcar with sides that come down to reveal guns. 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/3157855/1000591/1000637/1000820/rock_island_hobby_ho_gauge_1_87_scale_wagons_usa_american/sceneprodlist

Reasonably priced and definitely have "play value".

Jason

• Like 2

Reminds me of the Lionel military wagons/cars that were the inspiration for the Battle Space rolling stock.

Lionel and Lines Bros. (Tri-ang) had agreements in place to market some of each other’s products in their home market. 
Lionel had Scalextric. Tri-ang got the Lionel Science Sets, and the ideas for the Giraffe Car, Helicopter Car, Exploding Car, etc…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Exploding boxcars, missile wagons, tank buster boxcar with sides that come down to reveal guns. 

I know little about H0, but in current American 0, which is largely coarse-scale, and a very popular format, there are two huge sub-sectors beyond “realistic or grounded firmly in reality”: Christmas; and, war/military, the latter including the classic missile, exploding boxcar, searchlight etc cars.

Neither sub-sector really has a parallel in the U.K. (thankfully!), and the latter fringes-out into ‘mega-patriotic’ offerings (the Statue of Liberty standing on a flatcar, surrounded by flags etc), and even overtly party-political offerings. Oh, and there are alien abductions related things too.

US 0-gauge is very strange indeed to British eyes!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/12/2021 at 01:33, locomad2 said:

Triang tristrol, plenty about so decided this make quick conversion to a larger "warwell" what I got was quite a striking wagon

Not finished painting but on test to see if fits loading gauge using the tank which tends to be the most difficult due to height

From above it's quite impressive kind of got an "American" feel about it

I see you have a machine gun on one of your tanks, There is a posting on the US Model Railroad Hobbyist forum which suggests that any belt fed weapons such as machine guns would be removed while the tank was in transit by rail.

Link to MRH posting

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The same rule applies in the UK.

Maybe it was but often broken, I watch a lot of recently released "pathe" newsclips from 1940's , most are silent and never released or shown in public as speech or sound added later.

Somewhere in England at a dock Sherman tanks unloaded from a train with 1/2inch  browning machine guns in place on the turret although covered with canvas, you can tell they are 1/2inch  as they are roughly twice the size as the smaller 0.3 inch browning. Short clip no sound can't ID location not even the region

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

US 0-gauge is very strange indeed to British eyes!

Many things 'American' is very strange to much of the world. The concept of the 2nd Amendment and lack of a centralised medical system being two.

But let's not get political here, so we don't get locked.

• Agree 1

On 30/12/2021 at 18:24, Ruffnut Thorston said:

and the ideas for the Giraffe Car, Helicopter Car, Exploding Car, etc…

I believe that the helicopter used by Triang was the same as the one used by Lionel. There is a Lionel O gauge helicopter wagon on display in a Melbourne model shop which has the very same helicopter on it as the Triang Battle space car does.  

• Like 1