SE&CR 5 and 7 plank open wagons.

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

Are you saying that it is not expensive?  In my book that's an awful lot for an open wagon.

Terry

Bachmann's latest 16 ton mineral wagon are around £23.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

I have lost the sweepstake on such a comment, I had less than 2 hours...

Just the N gauge request to go now.... anyone?

That and the gentleman on Facebook asking if it would be possible to fit Hornby Dublo couplings to it... (Reminder, Hornby Dublo have been out of production now for 57 years!). 

I suspect that part of the trouble is that all most people have to compare this to, price-wise, is the Hornby or Bachmann open wagons, which are very definitely generic RCH wagons which have recouped the costs of their tooling long ago and been issued in many, many liveries (almost none of the railway company liveries being correct for the wagon type modelled, and many of the PO liveries also!).

These are very definitely a model of a specific prototype which is only being issued in appropriate liveries, and as such will not have as many varieties available to recover the costs of tooling. A similar example of newly-tooled, non-generic wagons might be something like the Kernow LSWR Panter brake van (price: £34.99) or the Accurascale BR 21T opens (£25 each but only available in 3-packs).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I know little about these wagons, but am surprised lifting-link brakegear was introduced so early.

Indeed it is certainly and interestingly one of the earliest large scale adoption of the Lifting Link I know of.

I quite like the way the bottom arm of the lifting link gear is cranked to the inside of the V hanger too,

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

£27.95 for an open wagon?  OUCH!

3 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

Are you saying that it is not expensive?  In my book that's an awful lot for an open wagon.

Why should that surprise, given the price of locomotives and carriages these days? It's cheaper than Rails' SECR covered goods wagon, which has sold well, one gathers. Considering that it promises to be an excellent representation of the prototype, that price seems very reasonable. Perhaps you should check the price of a new Bachmann RCH 1923 spec coal wagon, made from tooling that must be over a decade old now (as @Skinnylinny observes) - around £22-£23.

The best consolation will be the equivalent Cambrian kit at just £8.10 - plus £3.00 for wheels and bearings, maybe another £1 for couplings of your choice, plus of course tools, solvents, paint, transfers, and varnish, which you already have. There's also the pleasure to be had building it and then looking at something you've made with your own hands, rather than simply taken out of its box - something the monetary value of which is hard to quantify. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

Good points made but I wouldn't use Bachmann as a good example of pricing.  We have discussed before on these forums how Bachmann seem to 'push the envelope' to see what price the market is willing to bear.

I used the Bachmann RCH wagon as an example because it is among the best 00 RTR representations of an ordinary goods wagon. It would be unreasonable to compare Rapido's pricing with the pricing of some grossly inauthentic Dapol or Hornby open that has its roots in the 1970s. 

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... as did the contemporary ballast wagon, goods van and twin bolster, of course ....................... probably too soon to point that out to Rapido tho !

Don't worry, I'm certain they know...

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

These are very definitely a model of a specific prototype which is only being issued in appropriate liveries, and as such will not have as many varieties available to recover the costs of tooling. 

These wagons are a step above the majority that are currently available with their brass body components and even brass wheel bearings. There is also considerable additional potential in this new chassis as there were other wagons mounted on it including the first Maunsell design van with a drop door,  2 plank drop side ballast wagons, single bolster wagons and road vehicle wagons. It should be noted that Cambrian have produced plastic kits for all these apart from the road vehicle wagon, but that should not be a deterrent to further developments..

Now the only problem seems to be that they are releasing so many of them in such a small space of time, making it difficult to finance the purchase of a good selection. I would rather that they issued say four of each at a time to help spread the cost.

All the best

Ray

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

£27.95 for an open wagon?  OUCH!

Pass, thank you.

Watch that Scale Trains video and you might see where the money goes.  Having watched it, my reaction is not so much "how much?!" but how do they actually do it at the price.

• Like 4

Great Stuff Rapido and totally unexpected!!!!

I just ordered all 6 SECR livery ones and a BR version with the handbag handle.

At last something that will be taking my money in 2022.

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

These look very nice indeed and an order has been placed for a couple of five plankers and a seven planker with tarpaulin rail.   And it also looks as though the brake gear has been set so that standard gauge wheels will simply drop in - excellent!

Gerry

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done Rapido for producing these wagons. I do have one observation about the level of detail. There is a lot of detail incorporated underneath the wagon, and that is commendable, but from the illustrations published so far I cannot see much interior detail being present. Modellers will normally see the interior of an open wagon far more frequently than the underneath.

Am I missing something that is obvious to everybody else?

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

I understand the sentiment from both sides, but I have to say at over $50 CAD a piece I'll probably stick to building kits. I appreciate the work that goes into such things but especially in regards to stock that was built in the hundreds of thousands and if looking for more then one or two vehicles, things start to add up rather drastically, good on Rapido for continuing to add to Pre-Grouping rtr but I'll have to pass.

And yes, you can "Tick this off your bingo card" all you want, some jokes are a bit of a dead horse to be honest.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

I have lost the sweepstake on such a comment, I had less than 2 hours...

My money would have been on: "When are Hornby announcing their version?"  :jester:

Definitely looking forward to these though, in fact I was just wondering last week if anyone would do something like this and then Rapido announce them. Funnily enough it was the same with the Hunslet and the Titfield Thunderbolt announcements too... starting to wonder if they've found my wishlist!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

That and the gentleman on Facebook asking if it would be possible to fit Hornby Dublo couplings to it... (Reminder, Hornby Dublo have been out of production now for 57 years!). 

Depends which H-D couplings you are referring to.

I think that Peco still sell the original Simplex. Not a great looker but so good if want you want to do is play trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/05/2021 at 14:54, Graham_Muz said:

OK, I’ll bite, because frankly I’m tired of perfectly reasonable requests for existing 4mm models also to be offered in N being treated as a joke.  When the initial research has already been done and EPs produced, what on earth is silly about hoping that a manufacturer might want to increase sales by re-using that work for another scale?

But if you need any other reasons than simple fairness, well, there are modern standard r-t-r Farish N gauge models of *two*SE&CR locos which would be a perfect fit with these wagons;

wagons travelled all over the country and were long-lived; 

modellers tend to buy wagons in multiples which reduces the sales risk in shrinking a 4mm model to N;

the N market is currently starved of new products covering the pre-nationalisation era, and models depicting “everyday” prototypes. (There appears to be much less of a collectors market in N for the one-off/niche prototypes which seem to be the fashion in 4mm.)

I own a fair fleet of Rapido N-scale US & Canadian models and I’d really like to be able to add the same level of quality to my LNER N fleet.

Whilst I continue to hope that Rapido will one day start to fill the big gap in the market for UK mixed-traffic steam tank locos in N (hint: many of which don’t have any complicated external motion and have big tanks & cabs to hide a decent mechanism...), I’ll happily take some decent wagons!

Have I risen to the bait properly?  

Have a great bank holiday weekend.

Richard

Edited by RichardT
Punctuation
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Depends which H-D couplings you are referring to.

I think that Peco still sell the original Simplex. Not a great looker but so good if want you want to do is play trains.

The original Simplex is available at just under £4 a pair. When Hornby Dublo was acquired and their version of the Simplex was abandoned, in favour of Triang's tension-lock, I felt it was a retrograde step. It was a much neater coupling and had the advantage of allowing stock to be lifted out without dragging neighbouring items off the track. I find £4 a lot for a pair of very simple metal stampings and pivot pins, but that's what the Patent in Pritchard Patent Products does.

Triang's solution was the converter truck - they did a horse box as well. I took the tension-lock hooks off mine. They were cheap, so I bought about half a dozen.

PO wagons handpainted c1965.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2