SE&CR 5 and 7 plank open wagons.

rapidoandy

Nice. I don't model that particular part of the world, but enough of these wagons survived into BR ownership for them to be a plausible enough visitor to my (model) neck of the woods. It's always good to see new wagon diagrams being modelled (especially with a sheet rail variant) - a lot of RTR wagons are different liveries of a fairly small number of designs, which is possibly a little unrealistic.

Now, for your next trick, how about some accurately modelled RCH designs?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello  everyone

Congratulations to Rapido on the announcement of these vehicles!

For reasons of lack of space, we had to list such wagons in the 2019 00 Wishlist Poll under the 'catch all' heading of SECR Wagons, Vans & Brake Vans (as we did similarly with LBSCR and LSWR).

In the Results, the vehicles were in The Top 50 - roughly at overall position 21 - with the LBSCR and LSWR not far behind but also Top 50.

We hope the project is a great success!

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

SECR liveries ordered. A matching brake van would be well received.

Hello Stephen

For reasons of consistency in the Poll mentioned above, we listed the SECR Brake Van - 'Dance Hall' separately.

This was also in The Top 50, roughly equal position 34 overall.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This is brilliant news.  It must be the first time any RTR manufacturer has presented us with one of the classic Southern open merchandise wagons with the "South Western" (or in this case South Eastern) top doors.  And with the sheet rail to boot!  I'm with others in hoping that this project will be a big success for Rapido.

Would it be too greedy to hope for the LSWR (SR diagram 1316) and SR (diagram 1379 and 1400) 8 plank equivalents in due course...?  The latter were on the contemporary RCH standard chassis, which would offer some manufacturing flexibility.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Very nice, but I'll stick with the Cambrian kits.

Tens of thousands of wagons that can be made and the RTR manufacturers are just picking things that are already available.

Why not the GWR wagons and vans in the old Coopercraft range that will probably never see the light of day again? They are essentials and built in very large numbers, yet aren't available.

O2,O4,V4,V5, W1/W5, N13, etc. You could be churning them out for years. Just avoid the Provender wagon as there was only about ten of them.

Jason

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good Move - going for Pre-Group wagons when there have been very few decent essays in that direction in the r-t-r world.   Makes far more commercial sense than going for the already 'busy' market area of up-to-the-minute wagonry.

Even Better Move - Going for opens, not vans - much more sensible in historic terms..

Best Move - They're not generic!!!!!!!

Bad Move (from my viewpoint) - Gone back a bit too far, i would have thought there could be more mileage in wagons built Post WWI?  

Conclusion - These will probably sell as fast as Rapido can churn them out forat least a year or two

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Very nice, but I'll stick with the Cambrian kits.

Certainly your choice, but most of the market much prefers RTR over a kit so Rapido is providing what the market wants.

Tens of thousands of wagons that can be made and the RTR manufacturers are just picking things that are already available.

Maybe because the fact that they are already available is an indication of popularity/need for a layout?

Why not the GWR wagons and vans in the old Coopercraft range that will probably never see the light of day again? They are essentials and built in very large numbers, yet aren't available.

It may happen in time, from Rapido or from someone else.

But as for why not now, consider yourself as a manufacturer launching a UK range of product.

In an established market like OO you want to spread your offerings around the various regions of the UK to attract the most customers.

You already have 3 GWR products - see Gunpowder Van / Loriot Y / and Toad - and a GER Buffet Car.

Going for the SR region makes sense then, particularly given how popular the region is with modellers.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Question, what is the difference between 906005/6 and 906015/16?

In conjunction with that, should the 7 plank (907005/6) also have the smaller letters as they are labeled as "post-1936."

I will still buy these no matter what, as these ep's look amazing! Can't wait to see how they actually look! Gives me good hopes on the gunpowder wagons as well!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Bad Move (from my viewpoint) - Gone back a bit too far, i would have thought there could be more mileage in wagons built Post WWI?"  

I pressed agree Mike but I personally would have preferred something a little earlier - but I am not going to complain.

These were still being built into SR days and ran into BR days so I am not sure I really understand why you think they are a bit too early.

Clearly Rapido have gone for prototypes that cover the maximum number of time periods and liveries.  A good choice from my view and I am sure from theirs too.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Ribird said:

I will still buy these no matter what, as these ep's look amazing! Can't wait to see how they actually look! Gives me good hopes on the gunpowder wagons as well!

Well, those who have subscribed to the newsletter that went out today can see a picture of Gunpowder EPs...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward very much to these too — although based in the north-east, I've been inspired to create a small OO shunting layout by a few excellent model railways of recent times — notably @AY Mod's Keyhaven, @Graham_Muz's Canute Road Quay and, of course, Gordon Gravett's Arun Quay. It'll be set on the south coast so as to make use of some of my favourite small OO locos — the Dapol B4, the Hattons 'P', and the "Terrier". So having these wagons come along is great — they'll keep my Rails SECR van company.

If only Bachmann could produce a re-tooled "Drewry"…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Bad Move (from my viewpoint) - Gone back a bit too far

These are post-WWI wagons - although I think construction of the 5-plank wagons began in 1916. The 7-plank wagons were built from 1919, and as the blurb says, the Southern built more. So they're very late SECR, not at all appropriate for running with your Wainwright-liveried C, H, or D! 

With pooling, these wagons seem to have been very well-dispersed, popping up in photos from all over the country in the 1920s - and likely retaining SECR livery until well into that decade.

27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

i would have thought there could be more mileage in wagons built Post WWI?  

At any given date, it's probable that an older wagon would have accumulated a higher mileage!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

These are post-WWI wagons - although I think construction of the 5-plank wagons began in 1916. The 7-plank wagons were built from 1919, and as the blurb says, the Southern built more. So they're very late SECR, not at all appropriate for running with your Wainwright-liveried C, H, or D! 

With pooling, these wagons seem to have been very well-dispersed, popping up in photos from all over the country in the 1920s - and likely retaining SECR livery until well into that decade.

At any given date, it's probable that an older wagon would have accumulated a higher mileage!

The first 7 plank was actually built  in 1915, with further builds between 1919 and 1927. The 5 plank then used the same 1915 design chassis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Nice! =) It will come as a shock to no one that I shall be adding small lettered SR ones to my collection 

By the law of proportions, you should find out that they've all sold out on pre-order to modellers of the other three groups, with none left for the Southern. What you really need is a decent selection of LMS and LNER opens!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, col.stephens said:

Are you saying that it is not expensive?

Terry

Nope, its relative and reflective of current costs to produce such a detailed accurate wagon, I'm sorry but costs are rising and we have to accept that, or as you have done pass. 

Every new product announcement comes with comments from many not understanding the true costs now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2