SE&CR 5 and 7 plank open wagons.

rapidoandy

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

To be honest I don't think it'll affect them too much. I think by and large they are different markets with a few of us in the middle ground that buy and build.

If you were capable of building plastic wagon kits before this announcement then I doubt that will have changed. Many of us actually enjoy it!

£8 plus about £3 for wheels. That's two or three for the price of one of the RTR models. Assuming that kit builders will have the correct transfers and paints for their era in stock.

Indeed. The pleasure and satisfaction derived from building the kit greatly exceeds that of merely making a purchase, which makes a kit even better value.

The only area where kit manufacturers may suffer is the loss of sales to the capable but time-poor and cash-rich modeller, once the RTR item is equal to or better than the kit in quality. I have read that this is already the case with 4 mm scale kits for some of the more popular large locomotive classes.

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Indeed. The pleasure and satisfaction derived from building the kit greatly exceeds that of merely making a purchase, which makes a kit even better value.

I fully agree.  I enjoy building kits, even though I couldnt match the fidelity of detail on rtr releases.  The whole experience of seeing the parts come together always gives me a sense of satisfaction.

However if an rtr model was released that was significantly better than a kit I'd built, I'd probably buy a rake of rtr to compliment my kit built versions if I wanted another rake that is.  My interest lies in 70/80's stock.

Edited by Monkersson
  • Like 1

I too do both.  I enjoy building kits and when I started this project just about everything had to be kit or scratch built.  Any rtr items that come along and help fill the gaps in what has not been built are welcomed.   Lifespan is limited and a realistic view sees such items as a bonus.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

D1426 included both unfitted ( lift-link ) and vacuum ( Morton ) vans D1427 was the conversion from the latter with lots of bodyside louvres ............. and, yes, you forgot the sheep wagon !! 

Just the one !!!

A model of the vented version of the van might be tempting though.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1