Wet slide transfers for large 80's numbers?

Hello peeps,

I purchased the Rocket 150 transfers for Sans Pareil and Novelty, but they turned up quite yellowed. Fox were talking about how they can't use lead and other nasty things, but I just think they have aged. They offered to refund me, but I need the crest transfers.  So I am looking for alternatives.  I'd like to get the numbers for both locos, so is there another company out there, that also make them?

1560595541_2021-05-2716_37_38.jpg.87bfa9fdd0bfc010da0bc890d4404883.jpg
Class_86_No__86235_Standing_in_Bay_Platform_at_Preston_Station_e.jpg.ddd98c82c535093331942445211e0f91.jpg

The L/L numbers I can bash out all day long via this customisable item here:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3190

Any L/L number you like as one easy transfer (and you get a spare). Most importantly, I use photos of the original loco and trace the numbers to get the spacing bang on (incl any wonky digits), so your model looks like the real thing. In the case of 235 above, you'll notice how there shouldn't be a gap between the 6 and 2, for example. Naturally at Railtec they're spot printed so there's none of that superfluous carrier film to fight with.

As for the crest, unless somebody happens to have a perfectly square-on hi-res photo of this, then that wouldn't be feasible unfortunately.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

As for the crest, unless somebody happens to have a perfectly square-on hi-res photo of this, then that wouldn't be feasible unfortunately.

I'm assuming this one isn't any use - it's square on, but probably not high enough resolution - 

86235 Novelty

It's not my photograph and I don't want a set of transfers for this locomotive, but clearly a suitable photograph may exist.

Edited by Dungrange
typo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I'm assuming this one isn't any use - it's square on, but probably not high enough resolution - 

86235 Novelty

It's not my photograph and I don't want a set of transfers of his locomotive, but clearly a suitable photograph may exist.

Thanks David. Indeed it would need to be quite hi-res and in colour too, as I believe there was a lot of subtle colouring in the original. The tech has the full CMYK palette at its disposal (beyond what can be distinguished with the human eye) so it'd be good to take advantage of it and be able to recreate the original in all its glory, if such an image exists.

I note that there are other colour images out there - I guess the biggest challenge is the high resolution criteria.  This one looks promising in terms of the colours (ie I can see all the colours in the crest), but I note that the lettering is incomplete in both 'Manchester' and 'Railway'.  It appears that this photograph was taken a couple of years after first application, so not only are you looking for a colour and high resolution image, but preferably also one that is not worn with age (as the yellow also looks a bit more faded in this image than some others that were presumably taken when the crest was newer).  I can see that being quite a challenge.  I suppose it needs someone to find an image and then contact the photographer to see if they have a higher resolution version.  I'll leave that to someone who really, really wants to see you produce these.

86235_Panel_24-8-81

Edited by Dungrange
  • Thanks 1

On 28/05/2021 at 18:44, Dungrange said:

86235 Novelty

It's not my photograph and I don't want a set of transfers for this locomotive, but clearly a suitable photograph may exist.

Thanks Dungrange,  But that part of the Fox transfer is perfect, and why I did not take them up on their offer of a refund.  It is just the numbers I will need. 

On 28/05/2021 at 18:36, railtec-models said:

The L/L numbers I can bash out all day long via this customisable item here:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3190

Any L/L number you like as one easy transfer (and you get a spare). Most importantly, I use photos of the original loco and trace the numbers to get the spacing bang on (incl any wonky digits), so your model looks like the real thing. In the case of 235 above, you'll notice how there shouldn't be a gap between the 6 and 2, for example. Naturally at Railtec they're spot printed so there's none of that superfluous carrier film to fight with.

Thank you Steve,

This is bookmarked, but as I am still in the modification stage of the model, I will leave this to last minute dot com. Glad to have found you!

• Like 1

On 28/05/2021 at 20:32, Dungrange said:

I note that there are other colour images out there - I guess the biggest challenge is the high resolution criteria.  This one looks promising in terms of the colours (ie I can see all the colours in the crest), but I note that the lettering is incomplete in both 'Manchester' and 'Railway'.  It appears that this photograph was taken a couple of years after first application, so not only are you looking for a colour and high resolution image, but preferably also one that is not worn with age (as the yellow also looks a bit more faded in this image than some others that were presumably taken when the crest was newer).  I can see that being quite a challenge.  I suppose it needs someone to find an image and then contact the photographer to see if they have a higher resolution version.  I'll leave that to someone who really, really wants to see you produce these.

86235_Panel_24-8-81

I can do high resolution as I have the original design as part of the records from the event. Just not this image though ;-)

IMG_3380.jpg

• 1 month later...

@railtec-models Steve, I am working on this, but I could do with some details on how your set-up works. Do you use a printer that replaces the black with a white toner and therefore has a reduced colour pallet for the lack of black? Or am I free to use a full pallet?  Also do you offer metallic colours? like silver and gold? Also, what size paper do you use, so I can scale this accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Edited by Esmedune

21 hours ago, Esmedune said:

@railtec-models Steve, I am working on this, but I could do with some details on how your set-up works. Do you use a printer that replaces the black with a white toner and therefore has a reduced colour pallet for the lack of black? Or am I free to use a full pallet?  Also do you offer metallic colours? like silver and gold? Also, what size paper do you use, so I can scale this accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

None of what you list are constraints at Railtec. PM me with what you have and I can take a look when I am able.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to update the thread - thanks to the kind help of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway Trust, these are now available in 2mm and 4mm. The badges have been exquisitely reproduced to look just like the real things, as well as other detail such as the data panels traced from the originals:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=liverpool+manchester

spacer.png

As always, the L/L numbers in isolation can be done here:

2mm: https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3779

3mm: https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4075

4mm: https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3190

7mm: https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=3191

Hope this gives @Esmedune & others what they need.

• Like 4