Securing Motors

todeni

I just wondered what is the best way to secure  motor and gear box into a kit built loco, so as to stop it either flying to near vertical or trying to bury itself between the frames. This little nugget of info seems to be missing  from the instructions. Any advice would be most welcome.

Stay Safe Folks,

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

1 hour ago, todeni said:

I just wondered what is the best way to secure  motor and gear box into a kit built loco

If you are building with a live chassis you can solder a rod from the motor return terminal to the frames, this gives stability as well as an electrical connection. 

If you're using insulated wheels on both sides them you can do a similar trick, but this time solder a rod onto the gearbox and frames.

If you go to Tony Wrights 'Wrights Writes' thread you will find lots of pictures of motors in frames, just trawl through some pages and something will pop up

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I either glue a block of lego between the frames to stop the motor dropping, and/or a short peice of brass rod across the frames adjacent to the gearbox to stop it going the other way.

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1