Suburban services from Euston - early 1960s

I'm researching a potential model of Watford Junction in the early 60s, to include the transition from steam to diesel, but prior to electrification.

So far I've found plenty of evidence for express and freight services that I might model. However I'm struggling to find something for suburban services other than the DC lines that terminated at Watford, whereas I'm thinking of services that would run through to Bletchley, etc.

I think that Class AM10 EMUs were introduced following electrification in 1965, so perhaps a more specific question is what traction and stock did these EMUs replace?

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

I have seen photos of the following on 'local' trains between Euston and Rugby during the period mentioned:-

EE Type 1 (Class 20)

BR Type 2 (Class 24)

EE Type 4 (Class 40)

LMS Co-Co.

Stock seemed to be a mixture of corridor and non-corridor ex-LMS types, with a few Mk 1s. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the photo site I found them on.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I have seen photos of the following on 'local' trains between Euston and Rugby during the period mentioned:-

EE Type 1 (Class 20)

BR Type 2 (Class 24)

EE Type 4 (Class 40)

LMS Co-Co.

Stock seemed to be a mixture of corridor and non-corridor ex-LMS types, with a few Mk 1s. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate the photo site I found them on.

Class 44 as well, albeit briefly, only a couple of years. Class 20's have also been recorded on Broad St-Tring commuter trains!

• Thanks 1

Don't know if you have come across this website ?

www.watfordlocoshed.co.uk/index.html

Loads of information on Watford through the ages, including the Loco Allocations up to closure in Diesel days. If you look at the latest update pages for 2020/2021 there are some photos of the suburban workings with steam and diesel. Only wish I had found this when I was building my Model based on Watford, very useful on all the buildings, loads of photos that would have been better than relying on my own memory !

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, anroar53 said:

Don't know if you have come across this website ?

www.watfordlocoshed.co.uk/index.html

Loads of information on Watford through the ages, including the Loco Allocations up to closure in Diesel days. If you look at the latest update pages for 2020/2021 there are some photos of the suburban workings with steam and diesel. Only wish I had found this when I was building my Model based on Watford, very useful on all the buildings, loads of photos that would have been better than relying on my own memory !

No, surprisingly in all my googling that site hadn't appeared! The loco allocations are especially helpful, e.g. very quickly found this image https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/49742388108/ which seems to be just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Thanks all for the helpful information.