New book from Irwell Press by Derek Phillips

• RMweb Premium

Just a little "heads up" for fellow S&DJR followers, a new book by Derek Phillips is being promoted in this months Railway Bylines (June 2021) from the Irwell Press stable, new for June.

No more details and currently nothing on the Irwell website other than :

A4 Hardback,

Approx. 350pp,

iSBN 978-1-911262-33-9

Price : £.TBA

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, sorry Chris, the small amount of information came from the advert in Bylines, nothing on the website as of yet, I probably didn't write my post very clearly.

The title is The Somerset & Dorset Railway  and a line of type on the cover stating 'Bath to Bournemouth. Including Evercreech Junction to Burnham on Sea and the branch lines to Wells and Bridgewater.'

I'm as intrigued as you are. I hope that someone on here may have a bit more information or will see something more in the near future.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.

Hi

I thought Derek Phillips was based at Yeovil Town & principally worked on the Southern Main line & Yeovil/Langport/Taunton & Chard Branches.....

He mentions going to Templecome (ex Southern) but not working the S & D so I would be most interested in this book as I have all his others.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a curious little advert box to the right of Irwell Press' home page encouraging you to get the best out of your railway modelling by going to www.brmodelling.co.uk . Be warned - railway models are not the only type of modelling being advertised. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Derek Phillips did do a "Steam on the S&D" book for Fox some years ago, similar to the others that treggyman mentions.

Anyway, I asked George Reeve for some details :-) and he tells me that essentially it will be a photo album (about 95% previously unpublished views)  with extended captions and track diagrams and signalling diagrams thrown in for good measure, covering the whole line from Bath to Bournemouth and all the branches. Should be available at the beginning of July.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, RailWest said:

Derek Phillips did do a "Steam on the S&D" book for Fox some years ago, similar to the others that treggyman mentions.

I had somehow totally missed that one but came across it and ordered it whilst looking for more information on this new one, should receive it by the end of the week. Thanks for the extra info regarding the future release, can't wait.

Regards,

Ian.

11 hours ago, RailWest said:

Anyway, I asked George Reeve for some details :-) and he tells me that essentially it will be a photo album (about 95% previously unpublished views)  with extended captions and track diagrams and signalling diagrams thrown in for good measure, covering the whole line from Bath to Bournemouth and all the branches. Should be available at the beginning of July.

Hi Railwest

Thanks for the info on the S & D book by Fox.....

I wasn't aware of that one so I must keep my eye open for a copy.....

cheers Bill

11 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi Railwest

Thanks for the info on the S & D book by Fox.....

I wasn't aware of that one so I must keep my eye open for a copy.....

cheers Bill

Published 1990

ISBN 1 870872 03 7

A quick Google shows that Abebooks has a 2nd-hand copy for sale....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RailWest said:

Published 1990

ISBN 1 870872 03 7

A quick Google shows that Abebooks has a 2nd-hand copy for sale....

Hi Railwest

Book ordered.....Thanks for the heads up...

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...