ICI 14ton tanks - unfitted - 'Blue' livery - what, when and where?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Sorry, but it's another question about tank wagon liveries.  I have a Bachmann model of one of the above (37-656A).  I can find images of very similar tanks, all of ex-works examples.  What I cannot find are images of these tanks later in life.  Can anyone tell me what their likely load was, and the flows that they were used on?  It would also be interesting to know when they were withdrawn.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the link.  There are some very helpful links there of both the type I am looking for as well as some of the later styles too (e.g. anchor mounts).  The ones that are particularly useful are those wagons built in 1949 and 1950.

Do you have any thoughts as to when they would have finished in mainline service for ICI?

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

In the early 70's there were some of this type tank used as storage at ICI Huddersfiled.

They were on a disconnected siding alongside the mainline, all piped up and never moved.

Trying to find the actual location on Old Maps - still looking!

Phil H

Edit - looking at maps - sidings woould have been btween Fieldhouse Bridge and Riddings Bridge, south of the line.

Edited by Scottish Modeller
Add possible location
  • Thanks 1

On 01/06/2021 at 23:38, hmrspaul said:

Some of the captions say liquified ammonia. I suspect they are actually ammonia dissolved in water, known as ammonia liquor, which is the name used on other images. Liquified ammonia would require tanks capable of standing around 10 atmospheres of pressure, while ammonia liquor could be transported as a common liquid, hence in the same wagons as sodium hydroxide solution.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry but that is wrong.

Many of he ammonia liquor tanks are riveted, whereas those with ammonia liquid are welded and at least one is clearly labelled as liquid ammonia.  As a chemical company be assured that ICI did know the difference.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F2Andy said:

Some of the captions say liquified ammonia. I suspect they are actually ammonia dissolved in water, known as ammonia liquor, which is the name used on other images. Liquified ammonia would require tanks capable of standing around 10 atmospheres of pressure, while ammonia liquor could be transported as a common liquid, hence in the same wagons as sodium hydroxide solution.

If you looked at the photographs you will see I am simply copying what is written on the wagon - the two that may be the subject of your complaint say it very clearly on the side of the inspection platform. 

Of course an apology and a name would be welcome. Earlier this year I had a period when I nearly gave up the site because of unthinking criticism. 

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

If you looked at the photographs you will see I am simply copying what is written on the wagon - the two that may be the subject of your complaint say it very clearly on the side of the inspection platform. 

Of course an apology and a name would be welcome. Earlier this year I had a period when I nearly gave up the site because of unthinking criticism. 

Paul

I am sorry if I caused offense. I saw what looks like a mistake, and I thought it would be helpful to let you know. I will refrain from doing so in the future.

5 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Paul

There's a lot of us who do appreciate what you are doing for the rest of us.  The site is an invaluable resource.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Finally had returned to me my copies of David Larkin's two books on 'Non-Pool Freight Stock 1948-1968'.  These contain images of the kind of tanks that @hmrspaul referred me to earlier.  Again, many thanks for that.  Additionally it shows some of them later in life, and with dates in the early 1970s.

Once again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this.

Regards,

Alex.