932 'Blundells' self trimming tender

Jack P

Hey guys, 

I'm on the hunt for some photos of self trimming tender 732 (Paired with 932 first and then 905 later).

Specifically it would be great to find some photos of the interior of the bunker and/or photos of the rear tender plates. I've done a deep trawl online, but haven't been able to find anything.

Does anyone have anything, or can recommend a book to me?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Isn't the tender on Repton all but identical to that on Blundells?

I've made that mistake before, there are actually quite a few differences. It is an easy trap to fall into though

5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

From a quick comparison, some time ago, I THINK the bunker looked to be exactly the same size as that used for the Nelsons .............. and I'm sure the detail of modification ( rear plate ) would have been identical ( Why on earth reinvent the wheel ??!? ). 

Looking at the few photos I do have, it certainly looks to be the case in other areas!

Based on some hard/fast measurements I think the extended raves are a little shorter on the Schools tender (I think!)

I don't think I've ever seen a drawing of the Blundells tender - but so far as I know it remained at 5 tons capacity just like the Nelsons ( original & rebuild ).

[ The American rebuild behind Repton is an aesthetic disaster in my opinion - and I'm sure the N.Y.M.R. could do something to make it look more like the Blundells one if they tried ....... or return it to original style : how much coal do they use in a day ? - the 'Schools' used to run to Bournemouth without needing to refuel, that must be a couple of returns on the Moors allowing for the gradients.]

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later - almost ...

Found a near broadside shot of Blundells' tender in Brian Haresnape's 'Maunsell Locomotives ( Ian Allan, 1977 ). Guesstimating where the top rave starts to curve downwards, it looks to be a whisker ahead of the rear tender spring's front hanger - or, maybe 59mm ( in 4mm scale ) from the front drawbeam. Measuring a high-sided Nelson tender drawing gives a distance from the drawbeam to the start of the down-curve of ............  approx. 59mm ............................................................ so if it isn't identical, it's as near as dammit !

2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Two weeks later - almost ...

Found a near broadside shot of Blundells' tender in Brian Haresnape's 'Maunsell Locomotives ( Ian Allan, 1977 ). Guesstimating where the top rave starts to curve downwards, it looks to be a whisker ahead of the rear tender spring's front hanger - or, maybe 59mm ( in 4mm scale ) from the front drawbeam. Measuring a high-sided Nelson tender drawing gives a distance from the drawbeam to the start of the down-curve of ............  approx. 59mm ............................................................ so if it isn't identical, it's as near as dammit !

There's info in another book (the name of which evades me at present), that states that the bunker was lifted directly from the LN drawing.

Of course this means I'll need to re-do the work i've done, as my Raves are too short by about 6mm. it's good practice! 

51247490828_7eb3ad4dc5_h.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was doing some negative scanning and came across this negative of 932 at Waterloo. 

It shows no plate on the back of the tender. Sorry I did not find it sooner, no shots of the interior of the tender though. 

2112157471_932atWaterloo.JPG.e283e4912fafeb49281357ff22798c62.JPG

Best wishes

Duncan

Edited by Blandford1969
Take out erroneous date
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

I was doing some negative scanning and came across this negative of 932 at Waterloo post WW2 by the look of the lettering. 

It shows no plate on the back of the tender. Sorry I did not find it sooner, no shots of the interior of the tender though. 

Best wishes

Duncan

That picture is more likely just before WW2 rather than after as the Glazing on the end of the Trainshead looks remarkably intact!

Bulleid took over in 1938 and his Malachite green livery was decided on before WW2 - its just that not many locos got it before a certain German decided to have a go obliterating Poland....

Edited by phil-b259
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

I was doing some negative scanning and came across this negative of 932 at Waterloo post WW2 by the look of the lettering. 

Best wishes

Duncan

That's absolutely fantastic - Thank you. 

The replacement tender has arrived and when motivation hits I'll give it another go!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At least now you can say and you know its right as otherwise some bright spark would be bound to say 'that's not right' Of course what we do not know, unless I stumble across another of the tender that at other times it did have a number and plate on the back. 

• RMweb Gold

The photo is defiantly pre war as it has the original Bullied version of ‘Southern’ with the pointed ‘N’ 

Therefore after July 1938. 
It should also be noted that the lining is white not yellow. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bécasse said:

It is interesting that not only is there no plate on the back of the tender, there is no painted number either.

It seems to be almost random that numbers are/aren't painted on the back of the tender.

You can only really be sure if there's a photo to prove it at the specific time!

• Agree 2

932's post-war green period was from July 1948 to March 1951 ( hardly seems worth doing ) so would not have had 'SOUTHERN' on the tender .... moreover, she was then allocated to the Brick or St Leonards so would have been a very rare sight at Waterloo.    Yep - pre-war green it is ! ( July '38 to July '45 mostly based at Bournemouth or Blazingsmoke )

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack P said:

It seems to be almost random that numbers are/aren't painted on the back of the tender.

You can only really be sure if there's a photo to prove it at the specific time!

I hadn't noticed that, perhaps because of the relative paucity of photographs of the rear of tenders. It seems probable, then, that the practice varied between different works unless it resulted from some tenders being unallocated (to a specific loco) at the precise moment of repainting.

One other point, the lining as applied was indeed white (in both this early Bulleid and previous liveries) but in use it very quickly turned a pale buff, probably from being wiped over with oily rags. There are contemporary reports of this (but don't ask me to find them now) and Havenstreet have exactly the same experience with their Southern-livered locos.

The So

4 hours ago, bécasse said:

...... unless it resulted from some tenders being unallocated (to a specific loco) at the precise moment of repainting. .....

The Southern 'normally' outshopped each loco with the tender it arrived with ...... while there were many changes, they often seem to have been expedient in-traffic swaps and there wasn't the general free-for-all seen elsewhere.

As an early malachite paint job, it's possible that no decision had been reached on 'tender behind' numbers henceforth.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bécasse said:

I hadn't noticed that, perhaps because of the relative paucity of photographs of the rear of tenders

Ah, you say that and then another comes along, again of 932 from some more scanning of negs, this time with a small tender at Waterloo again.  You are right though they are very rare views.

932.JPG.b37785c1282138d6e062e4200d7e1000.JPG

Best wishes

Duncan

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Ah, you say that and then another comes along, again of 932 from some more scanning of negs, this time with a small tender at Waterloo again.  You are right though they are very rare views.

932.JPG.b37785c1282138d6e062e4200d7e1000.JPG

Best wishes

Duncan

Taken between Feb 1935 and 7th Feb 1936...

• Thanks 1