Hornby R60061 Pride Van

John M Upton

Yeah I commented on that, I think it's a lovely gesture , but for me it seems like another corporation just trying to make a bit of money from the pride movement, "the pink pound" as it's sometimes referred to. "Show your support, buy our stuff."

What would have been nice would have been if they could have done something like they did with the NHS 66 and raise a bit of money for LGBT charities with the wagon.

Anyway, Hornby are at least showing their support and that's something. Of course Facebook brings all the keyboard warrior bigots out of the woodwork, it always does... Took about 5 minutes to get hate speech directed at me, I just report it, block and move on. =)

• Like 10
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 1

Not something I'll buy and maybe a bit of bandwaggon jumping from Hornby here but whatever, if it makes Hornby money then why not.

On another note, I reckon than van has to be a strong contender for the 'most unprototypical liveries applied to a model' award. That's if you could even consider the van prototypical in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

"available to pre-order EXCLUSIVELY via the Hornby website"

No need to worry which tier your local model shop is then. Hornby website only!

"Expected spring 2021"  1st June already!

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Corrected an error. Taking pride in my work lol
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, sparky66 said:

On another note, I reckon than van has to be a strong contender for the 'most unprototypical liveries applied to a model' award. That's if you could even consider the van prototypical in the first place.

The word 'Generic' springs to mind....  :D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Do people really still buy this 1970s tut ?

That's my biggest issue with these kind of vans. The Beatles' ones and the Centenary last year are the same. Really a let down for me.

I bought the Centenary because I thought it would at least have NEM, quod non. So no Beatles nor Pride for me. But those P2's, my pre-order will triple after I saw the renders on Engine Shed! 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, sparky66 said:

Not something I'll buy and maybe a bit of bandwaggon jumping from Hornby here but whatever, if it makes Hornby money then why not.

I think theres a bit of a Pride look to 2021 - theyve got the Pendolino and the Class 800 which are in Pride liveries in this years catalogue too.

44 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I think theres a bit of a Pride look to 2021 - theyve got the Pendolino and the Class 800 which are in Pride liveries in this years catalogue too.

I believe those are prototypical, aren't they? I'm afraid I'm really not up to speed with what's going on with present day liveries. I'm absolutely fine with Hornby producing Pride stuff, but I do think there's something to be said for donating some of the profits to LGBTQ-related charities. If that was the case, I might buy the van, which is a bit of colourful fun. I wonder what it's transporting?

I rather liked the comment (now sadly deleted) from someone on Facebook complaining about Hornby's "deviant 66." The mind boggles.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe they are doing the GBRf Pride 66 as well.

Not many operators without some sort of Pride loco or unit now, Thameslink have 700155, SWR have a few stripes rather after thought like bunged on a standard livery 444, Southern just put a few rainbow bars on the background of the logos on a couple of 377's.

5 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I believe they are doing the GBRf Pride 66 as well.

Not many operators without some sort of Pride loco or unit now, Thameslink have 700155, SWR have a few stripes rather after thought like bunged on a standard livery 444, Southern just put a few rainbow bars on the background of the logos on a couple of 377's.

TfL have Pride stripes on their roundels at Hammersmith District and Piccadilly stations (possibly other locations as well). Pride aside, I think it rather livens up the network. Particularly the Thameslink livery, which I've always found rather bland.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sparky66 said:

a bit of bandwaggon jumping from Hornby

I see a difference between Hornby running off LGBT-themed models, and real railways indicating support for the LGBT community.

Hornby hopes to sell more models - make more money. Benefit to the LGBT community would appear to be zero, although bigoted collectors might find a dliemma.

The prototype railways just want to reassure LGBT people - and remind the bigots - that they are as welcome on board as the rest of society, which is good, and hard to see as a cynical money-spinner - train travel costs, and this isn't going to generate many extra journeys. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

This one isn't for me, I find the 18 GBP for old tooling as a "special" not particularly attractive. Someone else here mentioned the Beatles ones, which are in the same boat.

However, glad it's been made, and despise the stupid comments made at Hornby about it. My kids would love it.

The railways and the hobby need to be inclusive. Inclusivity includes being a visible and vocal ally. No-one should feel like they don't belong, let alone be subjected to the hate that many are. If the railways and the hobby exclude broad swathes of the population they will find themselves in decline and irrelevant. I will not be supportive of my kids participating in a hobby where their peer group are comfortable attacking others for who they are.

That Avanti Pride... that's bloomin' marvellous. Absolutely spectacular. If I had 500 quid lying around I'd buy it and the extra coaches in a heartbeat. Rule 1. Doesn't matter what era, geography etc, it's just fantastic.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Nothing says you love someone more than a cheap generic wagon made 50 odd years ago that looks nothing like anything you’ll ever see.

Modern image modelling in Margate.

And I thought buying a box of chocolates was unimaginative.

Though to replicate a 700, 377 etc.. it would mean having to tool up something that the buyer might actually be able to see.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Don’t disagree with the sentiment , but this is just Hornby jumping on the bandwagon . Typical Hornby flogging a superannuated model with a snazzy paint job .  Is this the same wagon I had back in 1975 with Kellogg’s printed on it?  

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they will follow it up with a woke trainset , a box containing nothing incase people (if they are allowed to be called that ) finds items offensive!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

It has to be done, as a visible token of inclusivity.  And its ideal as an inexpensive alternative to the R30081 train pack for someone who wants to demonstrate inclusivity on their layout.  Its not my era, but I can see it as being part of modelling a "Heritage Railway" environment, if nothing else.

And as for the van, neither it or the liveries it bears (Reindeer in transit, etc) have any basis in reality so why get worked up over a clotheshorse?

• Agree 3