First Layout

mkrob

• RMweb Premium

Are you completely wedded to having the station in the middle of the layout? Would you consider putting it to one side and having both your MPD and goods facilities on the same side? If you did you could end up with something like this. No idea if it would work for you, just putting an idea out there. For pure ease and speed I have built most of the curves with set track (something I know that you did not intend to do). I have kept to streamline points on the main lines and entrance to the yard areas but have put set track points in the yard areas. 

Untitled.jpg.7f06f3d48310ba8a9710a0e539127074.jpg

Hi Guys.

Phil - I'm not very artistic, so back scenes & low relief buildings is about the best I can do. With some grass & shrubs.

Kris - I did originally think of putting the platforms on the right, but I was going to run  5 coach trains, so the platforms wouldn't be long enough. 4 coach trains may be a better option so I'll re-jig the track plan & see!

I've just had a quick count of my rolling stock. Over a 100 wagons & about 25 coaches. I think I'll have to knock a hole in the wall for more storage sidings LOL!  Thank you both for the input.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, mkrob said:

I've just had a quick count of my rolling stock. Over a 100 wagons & about 25 coaches. I think I'll have to knock a hole in the wall for more storage sidings LOL!  

I suspect that most of use have too much stock for our layouts. It's far too easy. At least you have more freight than coaches :lol: and your ratio of 3 - 1 is good, better than my 2 - 1 ratio. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 05/06/2021 at 15:19, Kris said:

Are you completely wedded to having the station in the middle of the layout? Would you consider putting it to one side and having both your MPD and goods facilities on the same side? If you did you could end up with something like this. No idea if it would work for you, just putting an idea out there. For pure ease and speed I have built most of the curves with set track (something I know that you did not intend to do). I have kept to streamline points on the main lines and entrance to the yard areas but have put set track points in the yard areas. 

Untitled.jpg.7f06f3d48310ba8a9710a0e539127074.jpg

Hi Guys,

Another re-jigged layout design, with pretty colours ( sarcasm).

Kris - this design is similar to your suggested design,thank you. I can't have the sidings at the bottom because its next to the windows,which isn't ideal when opening windows or curtains. Also the cats would probably knock any rolling stock on there off.( Or I would opening a window.)

I've made most of radius 24inch. As I haven't done flexitrack before, I got a 24inch tracksetta to (hopefully) make it easier. It may not look quite right, but I can live with that!  

The lift out section in the top left is going to be the most challenging,as I'm going to try using a

Pro Track Rail Aligner. (Has anyone on here tried these & will they work with curved track)

Thanks again for all your comments & suggestions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkrob said:

will they work with curved track

My experience is that having a lift out section with curved track crossing the end(s) is bad news.

Getting good alignment is very hard and getting trains to stay on the track even harder.

I strongly recommend organizing the lift out section to have the track crossing the ends be straight and ideally perpendicular to the end. This might lead to the lift out section having a curious shape! My own lift out section has these characteristics.

In relation to your latest plan, I would also recommend that the main running tracks run around the outside of the leftmost baseboard rather than the inside, with the aim of relaxing the radius of the curves as much as possible. Sharper curves on sidings is much less of a problem and is closer to what was typically the case on the prototype.

Yours,  Mike.

1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

My experience is that having a lift out section with curved track crossing the end(s) is bad news.

Getting good alignment is very hard and getting trains to stay on the track even harder.

I strongly recommend organizing the lift out section to have the track crossing the ends be straight and ideally perpendicular to the end. This might lead to the lift out section having a curious shape! My own lift out section has these characteristics.

In relation to your latest plan, I would also recommend that the main running tracks run around the outside of the leftmost baseboard rather than the inside, with the aim of relaxing the radius of the curves as much as possible. Sharper curves on sidings is much less of a problem and is closer to what was typically the case on the prototype.

Yours,  Mike.

Hi Mike,Thanks for the advice. I guessed that a straight track leading to & from the lift out section would be best, but I needed to ask the question to satisfy my curiosity. It may be best to go back to my original track plan idea of straight track across the lift out, with straight track leading to it. It would have  the added advantage of a narrower & lighter lift out.

Your idea for having the main running track around the outside is something I'll try it on the track plan.Thank you.