Getting started in DCC

Lek

Hello folks,

I'm just getting started in the world of DCC. I have ordered a DCC controller (Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC01), and I have a loco which is "DCC ready" (Hornby R2519 - 59005). Do I need a specific decoder for this locomotive, or can I buy any decoder? Also is it possible to add sound to the loco at this stage?

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if my question seems a little naive, but I'm completely new to DCC.

You can fit any brand of decoder - I would always recommend Zimo - you need to buy one with the correct plug for the socket in the loco. Google suggests you want an 8-pin decoder for that loco.

You can add sound and the Cl 59 sounds are available, but at about 5x the cost of a basic decoder (£100+) https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/products/loksound-5-decoder-for-class-59 There may be other suppliers (sound is not my area).

• Agree 3

Thanks for the info. I just grabbed a Zimo 600R 8 Pin decoder. After looking at a few schematic diagrams, seems it wouldn't be too hard to convert a non-"DCC Ready" loco too.

I'll look into the sound thing, as I'd like to take advantage of all potential features.

Thanks again!

Edited by Lek
grammar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lek said:

apologies if my question seems a little naive, but I'm completely new to DCC.

When I started in DCC 4-years ago I was a total novice. I only had my old Lima locos (from 1981 ish), and so started my DCC with hard-wiring in the DCC decoder (wires, solder, heat-shrink tubing). I just bought some cheap Hattons branded decoders, which have worked out just fine. One of their main advantages is that the decoder comes with a 'fly lead'. The lead has an 8-pin DCC plug on one end and a proprietary (ish) plug on the other. The decoder has a matching socket. This means that if (when?) the decoder goes 'pop' (been there, did that) it's a simple matter to unplug and replace the decoder (no desoldering  of the wires required) with the same brand. Just beware that the plug/socket comes in a number of incompatible 'sizes'. I bought a 6-pack of decoders (all the same), which alleviated that problem.

Ian

17 hours ago, Lek said:

seems it wouldn't be too hard to convert a non-"DCC Ready" loco too.

Hmm, converting a non DCC-Ready loco to DCC, where there is no DCC socket installed within the loco, can be more or less difficult depending on the design of the loco.

I converted an older (1990s vintage) Hornby GWR County 4-6-0 to DCC. That was relatively painless, other than making sure that I could solder in extra lengths of wire to enable suitable placement of the decoder within the loco body. The key elements are:

1. Being able to isolate the 2 feeds from the loco wheels/pickups

2. Being able to isolate the 2 connections to the motor

3. Finding a suitable place for the decoder that is also electrically isolated - you don't want the decoder to touch some part that is live

Some older designs of loco can make one or more of these elements tough - the classic case is the "split chassis" design, which were a particular favourite of Bachmann in the past, although other makes also used that design. In this design, the chassis is split vertically along the length of the loco. Each half can be electrically live - connected to the wheels on that side. Sometimes the motor connections came directly from the chassis. This makes item 2 very hard. It can be done, but it takes a lot of careful work. There are various threads on RMWeb that discuss how to do this.

Yours,  Mike.