Recommendations for current UK track atlas

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I may get a new UK track atlas.

I've currently got a 2nd edition version of "Track Atlas of Mainland Britain" by Mike Bridge but have noticed a few changes since publication. An updated edition is available (?2017 I think) Is it worth getting the more recent version?

Another option is the Rail Atlas Of Great Britain And Ireland 15th Edition by S Baker which is more recent.

I'd be glad of any comments on pros and cons of both or indeed any other suggestions. The Bridge book is incredibly detailed and I assume the Baker Atlas is less so showing routes rather than individual lines.

Thanks in advance

Chris

@Gilbert as you hint in your post it depends on the level of detail you require and how specific that detail is. I used to purchase both the Quail (now Railway Track Diagrams) for locations of specific items and the Baker Atlas for more general use. Now I tend to rely on online sources or scans of older Atlases on my tablet device. The most used is the online version of OS maps which gives you the ability to download maps as well which is £23.99 a year

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Depending what you want it to cover, the Joe Brown Railway atlasses of London and Birmingham are highly detailed with current layout (at the time of publishing) and historical layouts.

Both were published by Ian Allan and haven't be re-released but should turn up S/H

An expensive book is Colonel Cobb's Historical Atlas where the whole of GB is covered, in two volumes at 1" to 1 mile. The mapping is overlaid on the Seventh Edition OS 1" maps

However it was £150 new and is considerably more S/H

It is very accurate as to original owning and subsequent  companies, original track gauges, station locations etc.

It was another Ian Allan book that hasn't resurfaced (yet?)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies - I'm interested in the current scene so I've tracked down a reasonably priced used copy of the latest version of the Track Atlas - as this has all the lines shown. I shall also make use of the various online resources suggested.

I shall see how that works out..

Thanks again

Chris