Third Rail Substations

St. Simon

Hi All,

Does anyone have any details / drawings of the more modern third rail substations on the network? I'm thinking more of the Seimens types that are a stainless steel building that have been installed in the last 20 years or so.

I'm looking at building (well, probably 3D Printing) one for my layout, so I need some good photos with some basic dimensions.

Regards,

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I think I still have some drawings of the substations we used on East London Line. I'll have a trawl through my files and see what I can find. 

17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I don't have any suitable drawings, but will put out the feelers.

South Hampshire area, yes?

Yes, around Fareham / Southampton / Portsmouth areas, I know there's a modern one at St. Denys.

I know there's an older style sub station at Fareham, but I haven't the space for that, and I like the look of the newer stainless steel ones.

Simon

Simon,

I have photos and some plans and measurements of substations and some modules, but only in Kent. I will check to be sure.

Modules I modelled were from Potters Corner (outside of Ashford) turning a TPH into a substation done widely for Eurostars and Networkers around the county.

Cheers.

Potters Corner Substation.jpg

W-402 Potters Corner 7-5-95.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 04/06/2021 at 14:18, St. Simon said:

Yes, around Fareham / Southampton / Portsmouth areas, I know there's a modern one at St. Denys.

I know there's an older style sub station at Fareham, but I haven't the space for that, and I like the look of the newer stainless steel ones.

Simon

St Denys is a very odd one. The big Siemens building at the Down end is only part of the substation. The rest of the substation is at the Up end by the Up Main. A more typical stainless one would be at Oakley (where Trenchards Lane passes under the main line) or Brockenhurst (in the water works).

The South Hants (as at Fareham) area about as small as they come, and I think the transformers are indoor, so much easier to model than an outdoor one...

• 3 weeks later...