Western Region 'Staff' coach identity?

dibber25

I'm curious to find the origin and purpose of this coach W1065W which appears to be in BR carmine and is marked STAFF. I'm guessing it originated with one of the South Wales companies but what staff would it be reserved for? I had for years been under the impression it was an ex-LSWR vehicle but I don't now know why I thought that. I'm guessing there's someone who will know exactly what and when? (CJL)

W1065W staff coach.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Following on Chris's excellent lead I reckon  it is a former RR 3rd Class Two Open Saloon coach built at Caerphilly between 1919 and 1921 - some of which the GWR adopted as auto-trailers.  RR Coach No.40 built 1920 became GWR 1065 and was withdrawn in January 1957

All above detail taken from 'Rhymney Railway Drawings' published by Lightmoor in conjunction with the WRRC.

Edited by The Stationmaster
Correct typo of RR running number.
  • Like 1

Former Rhymney Railway 76-seat third no.42, built 1920 by the Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Company and condemned September 1957. Fitted with auto-train gear by the GWR.

It is interesting that, although it carries a painted legend identifying it as a vehicle for staff conveyance (almost certainly, as already noted, as part of the Caerphilly Works train), it is still part of revenue and not service stock.

• Like 1

So much of this history stuff depends on which book you consult.  I turned to Longworth, where I found that W1065W was Rhymney Railway 40, built in 1920 by Gloucester C&W and condemned in January 1957.  Clearly other books take a different view.

Chris 

• Like 1

According to E.R.Mountford - who was kind enough to give me a brand spanking new copy of G.W.R. Absorbed Coaching Stock ( Oakwood Press, 1978 ) - this was, indeed No.40. Nos.41 & 42 were built with it - and a number of other vehicles - by Gloucester in 1920. Those two were numbered 1067 & 1078 by the G.W.R. and were withdrawn 7/9/57 ..... 1067 is illustrated in his book : at Caerphilly11/7/57.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, br2975 said:

The photo is taken at Caerphilly Works, with the erecting shop in the background.

I think you'll find the buildings in the background are the Carriage Shops ;)   The erecting shop did not have circular widows as far as  can tell from photos and admittedly ageing memory it being nearly 50 years since I b visited the place.

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think you'll find the buildings in the background are the Carriage Shops ;)   The erecting shop did not have circular widows as far as  can tell from photos and admittedly ageing memory it being nearly 50 years since I b visited the place.

I think you are right Mike, would the shops would be away to the right in this photo ?

Many thanks, everyone. I would never have sorted that out. Im now looking for info on W 9961 W. Obviously GWR origin (possibly ex-tri-composite judging from compartment spacings) a clerestory on 7ft Dean bogies and appears to be black)

W9961W clerestory coach.jpeg

11 hours ago, dibber25 said:

I'm curious to find the origin and purpose of this coach W1065W which appears to be in BR carmine and is marked STAFF. I'm guessing it originated with one of the South Wales companies but what staff would it be reserved for? I had for years been under the impression it was an ex-LSWR vehicle but I don't now know why I thought that. I'm guessing there's someone who will know exactly what and when? (CJL)

W1065W staff coach.jpeg

Having a slightly lower roof line it almost looks like an ex. BP&GV Rly coach. I believe at least one of these was later used in the Cardiff Valleys area after passenger operations ceased on the BP&GV.

One can usually tell as their roofs had to be 10 inches lower then ordinary coaching stock to fit under the railway bridges. 

Edited by Mountain Goat

38 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

...... Im now looking for info on W 9961 W. Obviously GWR origin .....

Originally a 48'6'' Lavatory Composite : three Third compartments, three First class ( two with lavatory between ) and a luggage compartment. Built in the 1880s / 90s for the broad gauge but refitted for standard gauge at a later date. Original numbers would have been in the 7000 series but 9961 - like 9968 & 9976 shown in Russell's Great Western Coaches Part One - is a 'camp' coach.

If I may clarify Mountain Goat's thoughts, yes, I see what you mean about the BPGV vehicles.  As far as I know, and I profess no expertise on the subject, the BPGV built coaches were 4 wheelers and lasted until the end of passenger services circa 1953.  To supplement them the GWR built six brake thirds and a third around 1929 which had lower roofs even than the ex-Rhymney vehicle pictured.  Should thirst for knowledge need quenching, the Model Railway Constructor for October 1963 has drawings and more background info.  Post 1953 the six brake thirds and the third were dispersed around South Wales and became quite a common sight at Barry Island on summer Sundays in excursion sets.

Chris 

• Like 2

Thanks again everyone. I have quite a few more, printed off when I had access to a batch of negs with no info whatsoever with them. I have a couple of 70ft auto coaches (W200W is one) in the most appalling state but what their story is, who knows. (CJL)

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/06/2021 at 22:21, dibber25 said:

Many thanks, everyone. I would never have sorted that out. Im now looking for info on W 9961 W. Obviously GWR origin (possibly ex-tri-composite judging from compartment spacings) a clerestory on 7ft Dean bogies and appears to be black)

W9961W clerestory coach.jpeg

Diagram E33 built with 6’4 Dean bogies, more details on my website http://penrhos.me.uk/Clerestories.shtml#E33