Callow Lane - ex-Midland freight-only line in South Gloucestershire

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Not sure about that being Bath now, the structure above the platform canopy reminds me a bit of Plymouth North Road.

I think you are right, Tim. 

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But what about that crossover from the siding in the foreground - that doesn't match the middle siding connection at North Road or was that moved at some stage?

I agree, Mike and there is a curve in the picture which doesn't quite fit either, but then again, this looks like it could be the old North Road before the post-war rebuilding, as the image does seem quite venerable.

On the other hand, it could be elsewhere but interestingly the Flickr poster thinks it could be Plymouth as well.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I now need to install a weighbridge and associated office.

I have a nice etched weighbridge and was thinking of using this rather agreeable Bachmann Pendon brick hut, but I have decided now to scratchbuild one and use the resin model elsewhere.

In the meantime, old school landscaping is taking place in the background:

20211107_154540.jpg.f10cf6eb7b29c6d8f9ba705f2e2bfe78.jpg

Edit - I have added a query about the weighbridge plate in the 'Help' section - 

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I have now started scratchbuilding a model of the brick weighbridge hut from Leckhampton, the drawings for which are in the first volume of the old EricPlans booklets from the 1970s (mine has a price of 36p on the cover!).

I planned to build several structures from the two GW EricPlans booklets back in the day (in the 1970s), but the only one I actually completed was a model of Dunster station building, prior to the reopening of the WSR and long before Hornby had thoughts of bringing out their own version of it (Tim V will probably recall the agonising over the internal arrangements of the gentleman's lavatorial facilities!).

As such, it feels good to be having another go at one of these buildings, even if it's only a small one, all these years later.

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I have now started scratchbuilding a model of the brick weighbridge hut from Leckhampton, the drawings for which are in the first volume of the old EricPlans booklets from the 1970s (mine has a price of 36p on the cover!).

I planned to build several structures from the two GW EricPlans booklets back in the day (in the 1970s), but the only one I actually completed was a model of Dunster station building, prior to the reopening of the WSR and long before Hornby had thoughts of bringing out their own version of it (Tim V will probably recall the agonising over the internal arrangements of the gentleman's lavatorial facilities!).

As such, it feels good to be having another go at one of these buildings, even if it's only a small one, all these years later.

I remember that day - October 1975, a mere 46 years ago! I thought we couldn't get into the lavatories at Dunster but you did get in the ones at Washford. You found some graffiti - which I still remember (but can't print here!).

604256893_Dunster26October1975132-(4).jpg.90d8d4681d487b8a8356c8c3db0b6f46.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim V said:

I remember that day - October 1975, a mere 46 years ago! I thought we couldn't get into the lavatories at Dunster but you did get in the ones at Washford. You found some graffiti - which I still remember (but can't print here!).

604256893_Dunster26October1975132-(4).jpg.90d8d4681d487b8a8356c8c3db0b6f46.jpg

Our local station when we retreat to our Somerset Rivera holiday complex...

OK, the brother in-laws chalet at Dunster Beach.  "Edge of Beyond*", the best one right next to the golf course.

*or "Edge of Reason", after a trip to Dunster Village Deli for Rich's Cider.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

20211226_115636.jpg.a8afe364ee2f9143b2c987a925e536b6.jpg

Next steps, apart from finishing the weighbridge hut, will be to spray the brass plate with primer and a top coat and paint the surrounding granite setts.

Uh oh, I think some of your tile grout has come away exposing the original stone sets near the weighbridge.

• Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...