Callow Lane - ex-Midland freight-only line in South Gloucestershire

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

I've thought quite a lot about whether to introduce any camber on the road, Dave.

The area in front of the cottages is not a road, anyway, rather a footpath, so no camber required there. Also, the access track leading down to the goods yard is going to be rather decrepit and a bit overgrown, having seen better days and is also quite narrow (I'm thinking of the long, single track 'road' that leads down to Exmouth Jct yard in Exeter), so I wouldn't have put a camber on that either.

This leaves the 'main' road over the bridge, which in reality is actually quite narrow. If I do put some camber on it, I will probably use a thinner card, glued over a central strip along the centre of the road, but it would still only be very slight and I'm not sure if it would be worth all the work, to be honest. I will probably produce a trial piece and make a decision after that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2021 at 09:31, queensquare said:

Great progress Tim, I like the trick of using lots of small pieces of paper aped together. Regarding the camber on the road, I suspect you could suggest it sufficiently with careful painting.

Thanks Jerry.

I have made a test piece of camber, involving a strip of thin card down the middle of the Dalerboard roadway, with another bit of thin card glued over the top. It's just about discernible and very subtle, but I'm not totally persuaded that it will be that apparent to viewers of the layout.

My use of a new Olfa scriber (a la latest MRJ and the lovely Irish station building by Simon de Souza, which directly inspired me to order one on Friday last week) on some pavements seems to be working well. Some of the pavement sections, which are quite narrow, will have to be removable, to disguise the baseboard join. Photos to follow, as I am now required to go to the local garden centre!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few progress photos.

Test piece of pavement scribing with the new Olfa cutter:

20210612_113811.jpg.05e7f180f718361c494de4582de255bd.jpg

Some actual pavement, shaped to fit in front of the chip shop:

20210612_201635.jpg.fba5fc40172160b1452fd0c2e7540911.jpg

The totality of the scribed plasticard pavement that I intend to add:

20210613_204827.jpg.a1f601f8b2c4599e641d89b05eaac361.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

NCB locos were 'plated' to run as far as Callow Lane from the nearby Frog Lane colliery:

20210623_155839.jpg.ce013aea0a9e267e194b3d6ac677da36.jpg

20210623_160528.jpg.08f60de0fb83e2787fa44e85b0f91e45.jpg

Very nice mon capitain.  Is that a High Level Barclay ?

Adrian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barrowroad said:

Love your terrace of houses Tim what is their source?

Robin

Made by his own fair and talented scratchbuilding hand, which inspired me to use Scalescenes products to supplement / compliment other media.

( With apologies to the good Captain for answering on his thread ) 

G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, that's right. Number 45 was based at Frog Lane colliery at the time ;)

Thanks.

I've got one working its way through the erecting shop at the moment.  If you don't mind me asking, how have you arranged the pickups for the power, the instructions are a bit vague about it.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bgman said:

Made by his own fair and talented scratchbuilding hand, which inspired me to use Scalescenes products to supplement / compliment other media.

( With apologies to the good Captain for answering on his thread ) 

G

No apology necessary, but the source of the two front-facing terraces and the cottage backs are the Howard Scenics kits, albeit with my own windows and some fairly significant modifications in the case of the cottage backs.

I do have a row of Scalescenes cottages elsewhere on the layout,  plus another of their products. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 27/06/2021 at 23:24, figworthy said:

Thanks.

I've got one working its way through the erecting shop at the moment.  If you don't mind me asking, how have you arranged the pickups for the power, the instructions are a bit vague about it.

Adrian

Sorry Adrian, completely forgot to check, the loco is packed away in a drawer, but I'll get it out and have a look.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been slowly working on the landscaping and pavements, all of which are close to the baseboard joins between the two scenic boards.

The first bit of the embankment next to the road bridge now done. The road bridge itself is on one board and the bit of embankment shown is on the next. This means that the retaining wall for the bridge (which is covered in this photo with some protective card) is not on the same board as the bridge itself. The cling film stops the Polyfilla and PVA mix gluing the join up:

20210626_151420.jpg.d97a4880146249f4febad1291a9d927f.jpg

Following a question by @Dave Holt previously, I have now decided to put a camber on the road, albeit only a rather gentle one and only on the 'main' road over the bridge itself.

Some thin card was first glued down the middle of the road:

20210627_161120.jpg.13a97e555eccf4a1f09eff1ce00eecef.jpg

Another piece of card (thinner than the Daler board used previously) was then cut to shape and glued on top:

20210628_183024.jpg.f0638ce424fdb79ce4b0f7f827dbe354.jpg

The pavement sections were not glued down at the time.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1