Which is better for the Class 15?

Wear Valley Wanderer

Hi folks.

I'm looking for a DCC sound chip and speakers for a Heljan Class 15. 

I've recently discovered Digitrains do a Zimo chip with a Paul Chetter sound file taken from the last remaining Class 15 currently being restored. Similarly, DCKits are selling a Loksound 5 chip with a Legomanbiffo sound file that looks like it's from a Paxman engine (Same as the original Class 15) but I don't believe is from the actual restored loco. Both videos are on Youtube.

Personally I like the sound of the Legomanbiffo one, but what the sound like 'in real life' as opposed to a youtube video is another matter altogether.

Has anyone any experience with these files? The other issue is that I've never installed a Zimo chip as all mine are Loksound. Are there any noticeable differences between the two?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Mark 

• RMweb Gold

I'm not actually certain any of the class's 15 sounds are right. The recordings were apparently made at the east lancs when the power unit was started some years ago.

Unfortunately although the engine was ran up and possibly upto full throttle it was not under load.

When this occurs the turbos do not create boost so engine noise is VERY different. 

At work over the winter and run 37s up for frost protection and once they warm through  I let them have full throttle to limit carbon build up. They sound nothing like they do when under load and are not actually that loud .

I've heard people say 15s had a loud scream similar to an HST when under load but I can't obviously confirm this .

I've not managed to find any sound footage from when they were in service 

Here is a Legomanbiffo Class 16 which uses an amalgamation of sound files which we hope represent this long lost Class.  Enjoy

We have a deal on at the moment on these:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=1921

Also we can supply a New Class 16 for £80.00 as well !!!!!

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty