Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold

There's no need to post them here, just make a link and we can see more of the photographer's work. It is courteous to check with the copyright owner if you can make a link, although it rarely seems to be done. When people ask to copy or link to my or Dad's photos I generally agree, but it is good to be asked. We share our photos in the places we choose with the fellow enthusiasts who use them. No-one is under any illusion that the copyright of photos that are published on line will be respected or even understood by all, but the more people who do the more it encourages us to share our images. I have drawn attention to the work of some of the excellent photographers on the photo-sharing website that I use - ipernity. There is one who has extensive and dramatic shots of Chinese industrial steam and there is another who shares great photos of the Great Central and other preserved lines. I can appreciate that it is difficult to find the right slot here to publicize your finds. Perhaps there ought to be a thread with recommendations for where to see collections of good railway photographs in other sites.

If you have any queries about what can and can't be used in RMWeb, check with the moderators.

The two you have shown are from an era I am very familiar with, as Westerns and Warships took me between work in London and my parents home in Somerset, so these comments come from someone who appreciates your intentions to share your finds. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

If you post a link to a photo from Flickr to RMweb (certainly on a mobile device) it automatically displays the image. It can be clicked to take you to Flickr.

No theft has taken place, the photo is hosted on Flickr and it's just the forum trying to be clever. I tend to copy the caption with my pictures for added info, and say it's a link to Flickr (mainly so people can view it larger).

Not claiming this pic to be that inspirational, but using one of mine to highlight what happens.

Link (with added spaces)

https:// flic.kr /p/2i1i2NB

Link as pasted in (click to go to Flickr)

A pair of monster choppers

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

True but after embedding the pic, it gives the option of just posting the link instead.

As has been said, where the photo has a 'share' option, there is sometimes the code to automatically credit the contributor.

If this is not present, I usually just put something like '© Joe Bloggs on Flickr'

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

There's no need to post them here, just make a link and we can see more of the photographer's work. It is courteous to check with the copyright owner if you can make a link, although it rarely seems to be done. When people ask to copy or link to my or Dad's photos I generally agree, but it is good to be asked. We share our photos in the places we choose with the fellow enthusiasts who use them. No-one is under any illusion that the copyright of photos that are published on line will be respected or even understood by all, but the more people who do the more it encourages us to share our images. I have drawn attention to the work of some of the excellent photographers on the photo-sharing website that I use - ipernity. There is one who has extensive and dramatic shots of Chinese industrial steam and there is another who shares great photos of the Great Central and other preserved lines. I can appreciate that it is difficult to find the right slot here to publicize your finds. Perhaps there ought to be a thread with recommendations for where to see collections of good railway photographs in other sites.

If you have any queries about what can and can't be used in RMWeb, check with the moderators.

The two you have shown are from an era I am very familiar with, as Westerns and Warships took me between work in London and my parents home in Somerset, so these comments come from someone who appreciates your intentions to share your finds. 

The thing is it's usually just the odd picture by someone that I am highlighting not their whole collection and as others have said It's the forum software that turns the link into a kind of thumbnail. If you like the picture just click on it it will take you to the full size one with all the details.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2