Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

19 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Interesting long-wheelbase wagon in that last photo - it appears to have no doors at all!

Surprisingly popular with the engineers in later years but, like you, the first I saw was quite a surprise https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnertube/e22cabbb6  LNER Diag 199 27ft over headstocks on a 17ft. 6in wheelbase. A batch of 100 wagons, not re-ordered. The type of wagon that was always photographed when seen - I am surprised to realise I have 18 different ones. 

There are adverts in the railway mags of the time (47 -8) by Cambrian showing both types of Tube they were building for the LNER - possibly alongside one another, certainly in the same year. And they have the unusually large TUBE writing which persisted on some for many years. 

Paul

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnertube

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

I thought that extra bracing from the top of the W-iron to the solebar was a LMS feature, rather than a LNER one; I'd seen it on the Chivers 'Long Low', for example.

Do you mean from the bottom of the W-iron by the keeper plate?

As you know the LMS and LNER were co-operating on design and build of wagons from before WW2, so crossover of design ideas seems reasonable. 

Paul

• RMweb Gold
On 13/07/2021 at 13:15, Steven B said:

I think I'm in love....

D9502 in the Forest of Dean (1965)

6097015057_9ff2096b0b.jpg

D9502 in the Forest of Dean by geoff7918, on Flickr

Probably the last loco to carry its original 1960s paint …..until recently…. Now undergoing complete rebuild at East Lancs railway. An old friend of mine too from the days it spent in store at Worcester not long after this photo was taken.

• Like 4

On 09/08/2021 at 19:07, montyburns56 said:

I came across these inspirational pictures of the Killin Branch in 1965, but what amused me was two things. One was the fact that BR used a large tank engine to pull a single coach (because most small tank engines had been scrapped by this time perhaps???) and secondly the fact that the coach that they used is about 50% guards van! I estimate that the carriage had a total passenger capacity of about 24!

Killin Br 80028 1.52pm ex Killin JA original 29jun65 s518

Killin_Jc_80126ca1965mrwimg641

080 80028 Glenogle 30-06-65 (John Boyes) 079

I guess that at peak periods they used two brake coaches!

080 80126 Killin-Callender ECS at Callander 04-05-65 (John Boyes) 080

Origanlly the motive power on the branch was a 4 4 0  tank and quite often parcels formed a big load ,two brake carriages were used on the school trains.These ran from Killin to Callender and return they were the only two coach services ,also mixed frieghts ran regularily.The branch closed when the main line closed a sad day as the routw from Callender to Crianllarich was a brilliant line and there is a dvd which covers the whole route to Oban and is worth watching.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2021 at 19:33, montyburns56 said:

Am I the only one who until yesterday had never even heard of the GNSR Z5 0-4-2T class?

68192 Aberdeen Docks 1959

abb Aberdeen docks 68192 May1959 GTR original E150

Kittybrewster 1956 By Richard

Looks like a modelling bodge job - body from an 0-6-0 put on an 0-4-0 Pug chassis, with a trailing pony truck to fill in some of the space under the cab!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, keefer said:

Looks like a modelling bodge job - body from an 0-6-0 put on an 0-4-0 Pug chassis, with a trailing pony truck to fill in some of the space under the cab!

Yeah, it looks like it should be an 0-6-0, but I guess it had this arrangement so that it could get around tight dock curves.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Origanlly the motive power on the branch was a 4 4 0  tank and quite often parcels formed a big load ,two brake carriages were used on the school trains.These ran from Killin to Callender and return they were the only two coach services ,also mixed frieghts ran regularily.The branch closed when the main line closed a sad day as the routw from Callender to Crianllarich was a brilliant line and there is a dvd which covers the whole route to Oban and is worth watching.

Yeah thanks, I've managed to find some pictures of it on Flickr from 1960 where it shows a more appropriate sized of motive power and the coach seems more proportional as well with just a small guards section. 

08/1960 - Killin, Perthshire, Scotland.

c.08/1960 - Killin, Perthshire, Scotland. c.08/1960 - Killin, Perthshire, Scotland.

Glen Ogle

By Hugh Spicer

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

For those that want a different NMT HST rake. Mk1/2/3 in the same rake.

pic from flickr.com

43014 + 43013 - Sparkwell Road Bridge, Hemerdon.

This formation was around for the summer of 2014 and AFAIIA the only time the NMT has worked the Hellifield-Blackburn route.

My dodgy pic. One day, I may backdate my set.

688430120_nmtWhalley2014.jpg.a772a37bc21caf586c21f6775cc13f48.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, keefer said:

What was the Mk1? Mentor, or something else?

(Trying to think of the pantograph-fitted ones that lasted into yellow days)

Yes. 975091 MENTOR was in the set as 977993 was out undergoing maintenance/modification. Full details of the working/formation are available if you click on the upper photo to take you to flickr.com

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1