Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The electrical kit on them was the same as on the contemporary EMUs, and they were used for a while on the Circle Line as singletons, with a set of trailers, the rear of which was a control trailer, so my surmise is that they had exactly the same MU equipment as the EMUs, and are here working in true MU. It had never crossed my mind that they might not be, until you asked.

PS: They only had driving controls at one end of each loco, so a pair, back to back, really constituted a single entity. I think one was fitted with controls at both ends eventually.

PPS: Now this goes into a lot of detail, and includes a cracking photo of a singleton hauling LTSR 6W stock! Unfortunately it isnt explicit about the MU kit, but by inference it supports my surmise above. https://www.lurs.org.uk/documents/pdf09/oct/district_electric_trains.pdf#:~:text=To work the LNWR trains%2C the District bought,for the passenger stock%2C was ordered from BT-H.

Thanks, a very interesting read, on a subject that I knew nothing about!

14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Isn't that a Webb Coal Tank?

2-4-2T 343 Leicester by John Law

leics - lnwr 2-4-2t 343 just south of leicester mid rly

It's a 5ft 6in 2-4-2T. An LNWR train on the Midland. I think that is at Knighton North Junction, so the train will probably be heading for the Nuneaton line from Wigston. A good sized train of at least eight coaches. Any idea of the date?

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

The type is sometimes known as a Webb or a Branchliner. Hands up anyone who's ever heard either of those terms

Hand down here.

On the LBSCR they were known as ‘Radial Tanks’, because the carrying axle was fitted in radiating axle-boxes/horn-guides.

The D1 0-4-2T had a radiating carrying acle too, I think, but they seem to have been called ‘D Tanks’.

Local names, for local engines.

• RMweb Premium

Here is a thought-provoking one: Redruth - The weekly exodus to South Africa. Presumably miners going to work in the South African gold fields.

cornwall - gwr emigrants train arriving redruth station

A GWR freight headed by two Bulldogs at Stewarts Lane.

glc - gwr 4-4-0 locos stewarts lane jcn

One of the 11 44XX 2-6-2s with an interestingly mixed train comprising two clerestories, a horse box and an auto trailer. The location is unknown.

mystery - gwr 4403 location unknown

A mineral train on the Camborne & Redruth tramway:

cornwall - redrurth x camborne tram 4 x freight tram Pool. near Camborne

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Yet more gems from John Law:

GWR carriages hauld by Met electric loco

glc - gwr 4900 & met rly electric arrive paddington

Woolwich Arsenal

glc - woolwich arsenal passenger train hauled by sheffield

Deptford Wharf branch

glc - southern rly 255 in street on deptford wharf branch

Great Yarmouth

norfolk - lner 8404 quayside tramway great yarmouth

Wisbech tram in passenger days

cambs - ger upwell tram 181 leaving wisbech

The first GWR pannier tank, which had an interesting career

(from BRdatabase https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&type=S&id=1440510

Designed as a successor to the Metro 2-4-0T, 1490 proved too heavy and unstable and was relegated to work in the Gloucester and Bristol districts, finally ending it's GWR days shunting at Bath and finally Swindon. It was subsequently sold to Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron & Coal Co., becoming their No 1 'Dickinson'. Then sold in May 1908 to the Brecon & Merthyr as their No 35 and again to the Cramlington Colliery Co. Ltd. of Northumberland as their No 5. After modifications it was used for a number of years, finally being broken up in 1929.

avon - gwr 4-4-0t 1490 bath

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

That Met electric is another good one, and I’m trying to work out what’s going on there. 

To me, it looks too far toward Royal Oak to be a loco taking over an incoming train at Bishop’s Road to take it into the City.

Maybe it’s a train laying over off-peak.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

(Here’s the Bishop’s Road thread 

18 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Another gem from John Law. A former Midand & South Western Junction 2-6-0 much rebuilt and working for the Cramlington Coal Co.

numb - cramlington coal co 2-6-0 no 15

[Edit] And there's its sister loco in original condition.

gloucs - mswjr 2-6-0 no 16 cirencester

Seeing that picture has got me curious as to how many industrial users had tender locos? I've found this one also working for Cramlington Coal, but does anyone know of any others in the UK?

Hartley Mains Colleries number 3 at East Cramlington

• Like 7

22 hours ago, rodent279 said:

So what defines a Coal Tank? Surely more than just the wheel arrangement?

You're right, and these weren't the only Webb 0-6-2Ts. As Andy Kirkham says, they were the tank version of the 0-6-0 tender Engines, Seventeen Inch (cylinder bore) Goods and generally known as Coal Engines.

These were superseded by the Eighteen Inch Goods, usually known as Cauliflowers, and there was an 0-6-2T version of these, but they enjoyed a happier name as Watford Tanks.

LNWR_engine_No.1597,_5ft_3in_0-6-2_Tank.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Seeing that picture has got me curious as to how many industrial users had tender locos? I've found this one also working for Cramlington Coal, but does anyone know of any others in the UK?

Hartley Mains Colleries number 3 at East Cramlington

My knowledege is limited to what I've gleaned from that excellent book Mainline to Industry by Frank Jones. I infer from that that it was only  Northeast England that saw the use of tender engines in industry, and this is probably because in this region there were several extensive industrial systems having main lines of several miles length linking multiple collieries. A quick scan through that book shows that the LNER sold 10 ex-NER 0-6-0s and the NER itself sold 12 0-6-0s.  The buyer of nearly all of these was the Harton Coal Co.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Another gem from John Law. A former Midand & South Western Junction 2-6-0 much rebuilt and working for the Cramlington Coal Co.

numb - cramlington coal co 2-6-0 no 15

[Edit] And there's its sister loco in original condition.

gloucs - mswjr 2-6-0 no 16 cirencester

The story of this locomotive is summarised in Main Line to Industry: It is thought the frames of M&SWJR No.14 went to Cashmore's of Cardiff in 1914, whilst her boiler remained in Cheltenham, where it was intended to install it at High Street shed to provide hot water for washing out. In response to the war effort these parts were reunited at the NBR's Cowlairs works in 1915 in an attempt to resurrect the old locomotive but the boiler was condemned by an inspector. Instead she reappeared in 1916 with an NBR boiler, new smokebox and cab,  and second-had tender, and was sent to work traffic between the NBR main line and the docks at Rosyth. J.F.Wake of Darlington had her for sale in October of 1918 and she was subsequently bought by the Cramlington Colliery Company. In 1919 she was rebuilt by them and was used on the run to the staithes at Percy Main.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

This Smugmug site named Transport of Delight has a fine selectiion of industrial images https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-INDUSTRIAL-LOCOMOTIVES. There are separate sections for Lambton, Hetton & Joicey, Seaham (and the Londonderry Railway) and Hartley Main, which I think were the main users of tender locos.

The Lambton system didn't just use second-hand North Eastern locomotives; they bought them new from Black, Hawthorne and from a company named Coulthards (both of Gateshead) as well as building them in theit own Philadelphia works.

One surprise is that Hartley Main had a "USA" tank 

HARTLEY MAIN COLLIERIES - No.35 - Ex-WD USATC Class S100 0-6-0T - built 1943 by Davenport Locomotive Works, Works No.2509, as WD No.1944 - 1947 sold to Harltey Main Collieries as No.35 - 05/53 scrapped.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

This Smugmug site named Transport of Delight has a fine selectiion of industrial images https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/BRITISH-INDUSTRIAL-LOCOMOTIVES. There are separate sections for Lambton, Hetton & Joicey, Seaham (and the Londonderry Railway) and Hartley Main, which I think were the main users of tender locos.

The Lambton system didn't just use second-hand North Eastern locomotives; they bought them new from Black, Hawthorne and from a company named Coulthards (both of Gateshead) as well as building them in theit own Philadelphia works.

HARTLEY MAIN COLLIERIES - No.35 - Ex-WD USATC Class S100 0-6-0T - built 1943 by Davenport Locomotive Works, Works No.2509, as WD No.1944 - 1947 sold to Harltey Main Collieries as No.35 - 05/53 scrapped.

Thanks for the info. I'm already aware of the Lambton/Philadelphia line as I've posted some pics of those special "trimmed" locos that they used in the 60s Industrial thread.

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I'd love somebody to produce an 'O' gauge kit for one of these to model this particular loco, unless there's one that I don't know about ?

Regards,

Ian.

Masham 1908 by John Law

From Wikipedia " In October 1908, an over laden train ran through the station and across the Melmerby to Masham road (now the A6108) and into the narrow gauge exchange yard just north of the road. The wagons were badly damaged, but there were no injuries or deaths. The driver had lost control on the 1-in-61 gradient into the station's goods yard."

nyks - NER crash at masham

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Something for fans of railways, cars and sweets

Middleton Railway 1969 by John Law

wyks - diesel shunter x old car x sales stand hunslet middleton rly 69 JL

.... including Toffos ! ....what's not to like !! :dancer:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/09/2021 at 13:49, Andy Kirkham said:

Instead she reappeared in 1916 with an NBR boiler, new smokebox and cab,  and second-had tender, and was sent to work traffic between the NBR main line and the docks at Rosyth. 

I thought that looked like an NBR cab!