Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold

What utterly wonderful photographs these are, thank you for bringing them to our attention.

I think I am right in thinking that Derek Chaplin was known (by the late Peter Barnfield at least) as the "Welsh Wizard". He used to go around model railway shows with his friend the great Maurice Deane and they were both always good fun to talk to.

Maurice very kindly gave me his few shots of Limpley Stoke station, happy memories.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cinderford was an example of  branch terminus topology perhaps more common in models than in real life, being served by two different branch lines under two different ownerships that diverged just beyond the station throat. When openened in 1900 it was served just by the Severn & Wye Joint line from Lydney (GW & MIdland). In 1908 a connection was put in from the GWR's Forest of Dean branch from Newnham. Cinderford was served by both banches until 1929 when the Severn & Wye passenger service was withdrawn.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/12/2021 at 22:08, Nearholmer said:

One of the few 00, as opposed to P4, railways, I think.

Good photo of a loco on it here

d-rh-5-27-xxviiilow_res.jpg

Even a passenger (miners presumably) train.

d-rh-5-27-xxlow_res.jpg

One of the locos survived the closure of the line, and was bought by Llanelly Steel. They regauged it to standard gauge. It survived WW2, before being cut up on site.

• Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

That's the one, Andy; the low cab meant it could work on the 'Landing', the track from which scrap, pig-iron and other materials were fed into the Open Hearth Furnaces. The locos that worked there seldom saw the light of day, outside Stop Fortnight.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

D826 at Exeter 1971 by Derek K Jones

D826 at Exeter_MSS0248_150571

A fine example of what happens when the loco is left in the polystyrene tray too long without the protective tissue shield.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

On 04/12/2021 at 20:05, montyburns56 said:

"BR Class 40, No. 368, diesel locomotive which was involved in a collision on the Granton branch with No. 363 on 27 August, 1970" by Kenneth G Williamson

BR Class 40, No. 368, diesel locomotive which was involved in a collision on the Granton branch with No. 363 on 27 August, 1970. (Copyright G. N. Turnbull).

It is the first time I have seen the loco from this side, the damage looks unreal and it is pretty amazing they repaired this loco when others like D322 had been scrapped

• Like 2
  • Agree 1