Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

And another from Roger Joanes - the old Plymouth Millbay terminus in use as a carriage depot.

Plymouth Millbay. The former station. 10.4.68

Thanks Andy, although I guess modesty stopped you from posting this later picture. It does show the station would have made some nice private houses.

MAY 74 22. The former GWR terminus at Plymouth Millbay, April 21 1974

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Unusually a photo of a model on Flickr. This was posted by "Katerfelto" who has a splendid collection of images of the Cambrian lines. He shows a partiular affection for the Oswestry area, and  I think his model takes its inspiration from that. I hope he posts more views of the model.

My Model Railway

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Oxfordshire Ironstone Mines 0-4-0ST 1965 by John Evans

Oxfordshire Ironstone Mines         0-4-0ST

Being taken to @Ruston's Charlie Strong's Metal Processing yard for conversion or some extra weight to be added ......perhaps ?? :rolleyes:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Ford No. 2 Dagenham 1986 by Dave Peachey

19860429.Ford,Dagenham.No.2.D2280.LR_filtered

That was originally an Ipswich skirted loco. I never understood why after overhaul at Swindon they fitted them with 03 type side windows. 

I actually did some work on this many years ago when a friend owned it 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 10/11/2021 at 19:10, Nearholmer said:

You’re going to have to explain the most recent two photos, please, because I don’t understand either.

Or, has the thread changed to : interesting photos of urban decay?

It's railway themed urban decay and surely you understand why I thought that the last picture was particularly interesting? Or do lots of hotels have Prairies in front of them?

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

surely you understand why I thought that the last picture was particularly interesting?

It’s an utterly intriguing picture.

Where? Why? When? How? Etc.

Especially: why is the track whitewashed, while the loco is in “fresh from Barry” condition?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It's railway themed urban decay and surely you understand why I thought that the last picture was particularly interesting? Or do lots of hotels have Prairies in front of them?

The building had been the old Custom's House by the entrance to Penarth Dock, hadn't it? Became a restaurant in the early part of this century. How long was the Prairie there? It had gone by the time my mother moved to Penarth in 1994.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Especially: why is the track whitewashed, while the loco is in “fresh from Barry” condition?

It follows on from the picture of Plymouth Millbay carriage sidings. The Duke of Cornwall Hotel can be seen in the background here. But why the loco was mounted in front of the hotel I don't know.

On the right you can see the course of the line descending ot Millbay docks, and at the foot of that incline was the level crossing seen in John Cook's picture

MAY 74 21. The former GWR terminus at Plymouth Millbay, April 21 1974

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

From the picture caption...

"4160 was lucky enough to have been sent to Woodham's scrapyard at Barry on withdrawal by BR in 1964, which meant it was not scrapped but eventually purchased privately; after storage at Tyseley it was purchased by the fledgling Plym Valley Railway group and moved in 1981 to this spot not far from a short stretch of line which the group would eventually open as a heritage line. 4160 was later restored to working order by the early 1990's, first at the Plym Valley then at the West Somerset Railway."

• Informative/Useful 3