Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

12 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The two tanks ahead of the CCT look as though they're CO2 tanks.

Agreed; of two different types.

Can I also see: a Grampus, a Medfit, a Highfit, two more CO2 tanks, a fishbelly bogie bolster wagon, perhaps another Highfit next to the loco?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Agreed; of two different types.

Can I also see: a Grampus, a Medfit, a Highfit, two more CO2 tanks, a fishbelly bogie bolster wagon, perhaps another Highfit next to the loco?

I'm seeing the wagon next to the loco as a steel sided Highfit with the 'embossed' chain pockets, so possibly another variation into the mix. A great photo that would make for an interesting modelling exercise.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

WC 1960-06-xx Ennis A109

I think this is the only public narrow gauge railway in the British Isles to have been completely dieselised - the West Clare.

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIE_501_Class, the three diesel locomotives "were withdrawn in 1961 when the West Clare lines were closed and stored at Inchicore Works for seven years. The Isle of Man Railway made an offer for the locomotives which was rejected by CIÉ who subsequently made less money by selling them for scrap in 1968."

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2021 at 19:43, Mol_PMB said:

What a lovely steeplecab! A bit bigger than many. I guess the power station had closed by this time.

Agecroft closed in 1980. I used to regularly pass the exchange sidings and always had a lookout for the power station locos. Usually on a Saturday, so not a common sight in the exchange sidings, but often viewable at the lower level track within the PS.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

These are my photos from the 1990s, I think at least the first vehicle still exists: 

Interesting.

The top one, I saw at Boora in the scrap line the last time I was there, but the bottom one I’m not sure I’ve seen; which system is/was it on?

There is/was one on the Littleton system, which took me absolutely ages to find, but I eventually did. It was kept indoors in a disused workshop building, at a site rented-out to a wood-chip company, who had created a sort of alpine range of wood-chip heaps about 50ft high across the doors of the building. The lads there were keen to help, and allowed me to scale the wood-chip mountains, lever the door open and get inside to photograph it! Maybe it eas that bottom one you show.

There are/were also bits of ex-WCR vans and opens at odd places too. At Clonsast, I found a van body (maybe two, I’d need to check photos) that had been used as a line-side store.

I’m hoping to goodness that the pandemic will be really, properly behind us by next summer, so that I can go across and make a cycle tour of whatever is left of the main BnM systems by that stage.

• Like 3

I took both photos when I went on a trip on the 'Clonmacnoise and West Offaly Light Railway' some time in the early 1990s I think. There are a few more pics from that visit (my only one to the BnM) here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50559291@N03/albums/72157711791197343

I had planned to do a more extensive visit to the BnM lines in spring 2020, but of course the pandemic happened.

A couple more of my old Irish photos with some West Clare interest; both locations of 5C at Ennis. The second one may appear of more interest to heritage phone box enthusiasts but the loco's there in the background. The old WCR platform was just to the left of the phone box.

West Clare Loco Ennis_Phonebox

• Like 5

I think all your photos are round the back of the works at Blackwater, although bog views tend to be so similar it’s hard to tell. If so, that thickens the plot, because in the early 90s I don’t think the the Blackwater and Boora systems had yet been connected. Exhibit A must have moved between systems by road, or by rail later. Exhibit B I’m now pretty sure is what I saw at Littleton, so definitely a road move.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Who is or was Derek Crouch? Or, is it an instruction?

It was the name of the company that operated an open cast mine at Widdrington, near Morpeth. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

An interesting colour shade that the buffers and wheel rims have been painted, presumably by order of the H&S department !

Edited by 03060
More waffle added.

I wondered whether the slide(?) has peculiar colour balance, because my brain has the colour logged as “milk chocolate” from when I saw that loco (or one of its siblings?) all those years ago. Mind you, my brain is no more reliable than photographic emulsions and scanners and screens. It might have been the word “Rowntree” that put the thought “chocolate” into it.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2021 at 23:14, Nearholmer said:

3 of these are preserved, two I think in BE form, having been converted to that to work at Heysham power station, the other in the form shown in the photo. What I don’t know is where they are now.

The former No2 & No3 are at the Tanfield Railway

https://www.tanfield-railway.co.uk/history/our-locomotives/

(Type 'Kearsley' in the search box).

I don't know where the third one is I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

"English Electric 1554, built in 1948 as an add-on to the production run of class 11 shunters for the LMS. Two (or three?) of these were supplied to ICI Wilton where they gave over 30 years service, before this one was bought by Resco Railways of Woolwich and seen in their yard on 19th Feb 1982. " by Murray Liston

From Wilton to Woolwich

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

Note the early bogie tank wagons in this freight:

8F Shotlock Hill 7.9.67

Three of these were built in 1908 for Oakbank Oil, a Scottish shale oil firm. They were very much ahead of their time in the UK, though bogie tanks were common on the other side of the pond.

The company was taken over by BP and as seen here they remained in use into the late 1960s.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Note the early bogie tank wagons in this freight:

8F Shotlock Hill 7.9.67

Three of these were built in 1908 for Oakbank Oil, a Scottish shale oil firm. They were very much ahead of their time in the UK, though bogie tanks were common on the other side of the pond.

The company was taken over by BP and as seen here they remained in use into the late 1960s.

By the time of the photo, they were working on paraffin wax traffic from Pumpherson and the Isle of Grain. ESSO had some very similar vehicles, taken over from Pratt's; in the very late 1960s, I saw one unloading gas-oil at Landore shed.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

"English Electric 1554, built in 1948 as an add-on to the production run of class 11 shunters for the LMS. Two (or three?) of these were supplied to ICI Wilton where they gave over 30 years service, before this one was bought by Resco Railways of Woolwich and seen in their yard on 19th Feb 1982. " by Murray Liston

From Wilton to Woolwich

If this is Guisborough I don't think it lasted too long after this. I briefly worked in ICI wilton in 1983 before joining BR and it was dumped out of use by the power station . Both the EEs were replaced by ex BR 07s

• Informative/Useful 4