Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

On 08/12/2021 at 17:03, Fen End Pit said:

Shunting at the Dock Lower Yard 1948

Interesting photograph of Ipswich docks, this shows what you can do with a van which has accidentally had its roof squashed!

David

I think the original photo was taken by Awbrey Frost, who was a local professional photographer and who took a number of local rail photos round here in the 1950's/60's.  They were used in publications such as the East Anglian Magazine as well as local newspapers.  I believe the Suffolk Record Office have some, possibly all, of his collection.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

An unusual industrial loco, courtesy of "Historical Railway Images"

Sherburn Collieries (Durham) - 0-6-0 steam locomotive Nr. 2 (Hudswell Clarke 72 / 1866)

Interesting it has dumb buffers for conventional wagons but sprung buffers for chaldron wagons

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This certainly is an unusual picture, illustrating one aspect of colonialism. Interesting, though hardly inspiring. This is the Disinfecting Train on the Egyptian State Railways.The loco is a Robert Stephenson of 1868.

Egypt Railways - 2-2-2 steam locomotive with water tank wagon at Belah

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Here's a beautiful shot from Ernie on Flickr:

z106 CIE 1958-06-03 Valencia Harbour

When I first visited Ireland in the late 1970s and even into the 1980s, farmers' donkey carts were still a common sight, though the Valencia Harbour branch had long closed.

But this photo took me back to a journey on the Montreux Oberland Bernois railway in Switzerland only about a decade ago, I had boarded a very early morning service from Montreux formed of one of their classic 4000-series twin railcars. We stopped at a little halt up in the mountains, where a farmer had backed his trailer up onto the platform. His motive power was a tractor rather than a donkey but it was a pretty ancient tractor and the trailer was loaded with half a dozen milk churns. There was a pause while the farmer and the guard loaded the churns into the luggage compartment of the railcar, and then we continued our journey. I expect this happened every morning, I wonder if it still does? I can't say whether the milk was destined for the hotels of Gstaad, the chocolate factory at Broc or the cheese factory at Gruyere!

I think this photo of mine was from the same trip in 2010, sorry no milk churns in the railcar this time:

ABDe8/8 4001 hauls MOB train 2217 below Rossiniere, 24 May 2010
  • Like 13

My ‘wayside halt on the MoB’ memory is slightly different. Train pulls up at said halt, day of thick, crisp snow, air temperature in the shade about minus five, but in direct sunshine baking hot. Next to train window was the almost flat roof of a garden store hut, upon which a stunningly attractive young lady was sunbathing in a skimpy bikini! 

On one occasion, because I had business with Secheron, electrical equipment suppliers to all sorts of railways, their engineer took me to visit some test kit at an MOB traction substation. He knew all their guys, so the visit turned into a full works tour, cab ride up and down the hill from Montreux etc. A truly grand day out!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 09/12/2021 at 20:55, Andy Kirkham said:

An unusual industrial loco, courtesy of "Historical Railway Images"

On maximum magnification you can see the date "2/1915" painted on the cabside lining panel.

Sherburn Collieries (Durham) - 0-6-0 steam locomotive Nr. 2 (Hudswell Clarke 72 / 1866)

So this loco never saw mainline use? Got to be the best looking industrail loco ever made. Will Acurrascale produce one to match their chaldrons? : )

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Surely a contender for the “ugliest loco “ thread?

You clearly haven’t developed an eye for the industrial electric railway aesthetic yet.

This one might help you along the road to enlightenment.

IPDC Electric loco

Irish Peat Development Company at Annaghmore in NI, now Peatlands Park, which has a very civilised faux bog railway for tourist visits, using diesel locos.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1