Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You clearly haven’t developed an eye for the industrial electric railway aesthetic yet.

This one might help you along the road to enlightenment.

IPDC Electric loco

Irish Peat Development Company at Annaghmore in NI, now Peatlands Park, which has a very civilised faux bog railway for tourist visits, using diesel locos.

You’re not helping!!!

At least with that one, you can’t see the awful colour!

• Funny 2

Like many photos of the SMJ, taken years after closure to passengers, and even after closure to goods, it shows how the stations were simply abandoned, hardly vandalised, and just left, Mary Celeste fashion almost.

When I first came across Stoke Bruerne station c40 years ago, that was an abandoned relic, and had been for donkeys years (last passenger train about 100 years previously, closed to good c30 years previously), it was just stood there, gently decaying in an ever-flourishing shrubbery. It’s been fully refurbed as a house in the intervening years.

Fascinating but of railway at many levels, except possibly if you’d invested in building it!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

Can someone please explain to me how to put a picture from my own Flickr pics on to RMweb, I'm sure I've done it before but can't seem to made it work now, do I go to 'Other Media' and insert URL, if so what do you do then?

If you copy the web address of your flickr image, then paste the text into the normal rmweb post, it should sort it out for you automatically. 

• Thanks 1

Merton St Banbury was an interesting station  as it was next door to the cattle market ,the biggest in the UK but as far as I know did not have much traffic from Merton St.In steam days locos seemed to be class 2 tanks and trains were only two carriages   and not well filled .DMU,s were interesting as the first units were the prototypes from Derby but even these did not increase traffic. The line from Verney junction via Buckingham was an interesting one and passed through some very pleasent countryside .One station being in a valley bottom with level crossing gates goods shed and platform surounded by trees .Used to drive past here in the nineties and you could see it had been a station.Banbury is an interesting place as you could see a very ecletic mixture of locos from Kings to Black Fives and when DMU,s arrived a reasonable spread of them  .Did not like the new station buildings they were a shoddy build and when a through train went under the main building it shook not a good experience.Merton St was busy on Banbury Mkt days and Sats but otherwise very quiet but was worth watching as an antidote to the main and busy one.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

but even these did not increase traffic

They did though, very significantly.

But what they couldn't do was perform a miracle.

Despite the huge increase in passengers and receipts, which were much higher that anticipated, an official visit on January 4th 1957 by a party that included the LMR General Manager concluded that the branch could never generate enough income to cover the running costs. The area was very lightly populated, the villages were often some distance from the line and served by a reasonable bus service. The experiment would be allowed to run for the full twelve months before the service would be discontinued.

[Railcar.co.uk]

There are more details in one of Bil Simpson's books.

• Informative/Useful 1

From Paul Anderson on Flickr, this is ostensibly a photo of the exceptional load in the foreground but there's plenty of railway interest too.

The date is 1964 and the location is Darlington. Note the BR 05 shunter with a brakevan in the background, and presumably an industrial RH shunting loaded plate wagons in the foreground.

Edward Beck moving abnormal load for Whessoe Engineering Darlington.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Canada Dock Goods Station 1982

Canada Dock Goods Station - 3 September 1982

It was all still there well into the 1980s. 

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/canada_dock/index.shtml

Like a lot of the docks and the railways around them they were "mothballed" rather than totally closed. Expecting an upturn in trade that never happened. I believe Canada Dock was mostly involved in timber.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 3