Dapol announce a new run of N gauge BR Std 7 Britannia Pacifics

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Dapol have announced a new batch of BR Std 7 Britannia Pacifics. 4 new models and 1 new train pack have been announced, details on page 38 of their online catalogue.

http://www.Dapol.co.uk/Catalogue/38/index.html#zoom=z

Great to see the Scottish Brits with the new tender for variety.

• Agree 2

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Arrachogaidh said:

It would be even nicer if Dapol were to shrink the boiler and produce the Scottish "Clans" 6P

It was suggested by me to Joel and Andy as a comparatively cheap additional model....

Les

• Like 1

On 05/06/2021 at 07:03, Crepello said:

Great to see the Scottish Brits with the new tender for variety.

No pictures of the ‘heavyweight’ tender, though. In fact, the illustrations don’t all seem to match with the proposed liveries 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having received the E mail from Hattons, I phoned Tim at Arcadia.  He was still waiting for his but reserved Firth of Forth for me.  He rang with them in on Fri 30th and mine arrived on 31st.  A vast improvement on the Tornado I bought 11 years ago from the first release.

Only small issue is that the tender design is such that it derails on my run in oval.  I use R2 setrak - 10.5 inch radius.  The moulded "door" with handrail on the front of the tender fouls with the cab side.  Not an issue on my small straight end to end layout.  But unless I para this moulding away, on the club layout the loco will be confined to the outer tracks. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Portpatrick said:

derails on my run in oval. 

Aw, that's unlucky. My BSN '39 went round my Kato V5 test oval well enough in both directions for its run-in; that's an 11" radius. Oooh. different tender.

Fascinating.

14 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Aw, that's unlucky. My BSN '39 went round my Kato V5 test oval well enough in both directions for its run-in; that's an 11" radius. Oooh. different tender.

Fascinating.

The extra half inch radius could well make the difference.  On the club layout the tightest 180 curves are c 10.5 ins.  But the other 3 main lines are of course wider.  Compared to my Tornado from the first release, the issue could as you suggest be made worse by the different tender on the Scottish locos.  These have the tender curved at the top a la Stanier.  Tornado had the type with cut ins at the top and does not have moulded doors on the front of the sides.  It is these which catch on the loco cab side and cause derailment. 

I have to say that this new loco looks very much better than Tornado.  Well done Dapol on that.  Tornado had the early grey wheels and cross head screws securing the coupling rods.  And the livery looks very pale to me.  Firth of Forth looks like my recollection of steam locos at Kings Cross in the early 1960s.

My decision now is do I sell Tornado?  Or buy the Newman Miniatures 3D printed Clan body and convert it into another Scottish loco?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Agreed the green livery is great this time round. It’s a very smooth runner with none of the wobble of the first batch. Servicing looks easier too as there’s a revised keeper plate giving access to the gears.

Edited by Crepello
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

I came across this thread after doing a search - I’m looking to get a Brit to pull a goods/fish wagon train that was common in Mansfield in the 60’s. I note the comments re the circle fouling - my tightest radius is 15”, so hopefully that won’t be an issue. 

Is there anything else I need to be aware of with this loco? I have a recent Dapol 9F, and the front single bogie can be v fickle, but some tinkering with the back to back seems to have cured that. All my other steam are Farish or Sonic. 

Thanks,

Andy. 

I have two Dapol Brits including one of the new batch. Both go round second radius curves without any problem so 15" is certainly OK.

I used to see the same Fish trains when they passed through Whetstone, just south of Leicester. Brits 70035-70041 inclusive were allocated to Immingham in the early 60s & all were used on the Grimsby-Whitland fish trains which passed through Whetstone approx 9pm every evening.

Hope this helps

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

43 minutes ago, Littlethorpe said:

I have two Dapol Brits including one of the new batch. Both go round second radius curves without any problem so 15" is certainly OK.

I used to see the same Fish trains when they passed through Whetstone, just south of Leicester. Brits 70035-70041 inclusive were allocated to Immingham in the early 60s & all were used on the Grimsby-Whitland fish trains which passed through Whetstone approx 9pm every evening.

Hope this helps

David

Cheers for the info. Not sure I’ll get the right numbering, but at least the loco will be right.