Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Do youtubers contribute positively to railway modelling?

5 minutes ago, Corbs said:

If you are a google chrome user and want a better youtube model railway experience, my advice is to have a youtube login specifically for train stuff.

On Chrome you can have multiple simultaneous logins in different windows, and since your YT account is linked to your google account, it all stays in its specific window.

Here's mine - you can see I have the Avon Valley Railway admin account, the WW2 stuff, my work logins, my partner's shop login, test accounts, my personal one, my professional one, and my Railway Mania one. All logged in all the time, no faffing around having to log out of one and into another, instead just change windows.

I don't watch train videos on my personal account and I don't watch anything but train videos on my Railway Mania account.

This ensures I don't have irrelevant stuff and can get into the zone much more easily.

Takes some of the fun away though - you're looking for Drum n Bass and up pops a Thomas Edward (not TTTE) exclusive or a new Dark Docs video, a Tom Scot or a Brandon Gross (pot holing).

I get rid of the stuff I don't like off my feed so I don't have worry about things like Sam's Trains spoiling my day

• Funny 2

On 21/07/2021 at 16:55, westernviscount said:

It is most damaging to children in my opinion in terms of passive screen time, their expectations for their lives (when I grow up I want to be a youtuber) and their understanding of the difference between consumption and creativity. These are my views and I acknowledge that I am in a minority.

I don't think you are alone in that - and the same argument was raised when TV was introduced to the UK in the 1950s, leading to the BBC "Toddler's Truce" to allow parents to prize their offspring from the one eyed demon long enough to go to bed.  However, that comes down to the parents.  My brother has strictly rationed my niece's screen time and encouraged her to play, draw, paint and make stuff.  She is happiest with a drawing pad and an enormous box of paint pens her mad uncle in Wales sent her for Christmas.  She watches YouTube, but on a strictly monitored basis.  It helps that her dad and her uncle both were taught to draw and paint from an early age, and had their TV time rationed back in the 70s,  but she realises there is a time and place for everything, and that creating stuff is fun.

And as she asked me for a train set age 3 and was telling me what I needed to do when I was building my layout, I suspect now she is getting older, she may yet become a modeller.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

42 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

don't think you are alone in that - and the same argument was raised when TV was introduced to the UK in the 1950s, leading to the BBC "Toddler's Truce"

I confess my concerns are personal as like your brother I have a daughter who will have to navigate the modern world. Youtube is a strictly monitored thing in my household also, never unattended and always cast to a tv (not a device). My gut says to ban entirely but I doubt this would lead to healthy attitudes to it later on. 

Drawing, making and doing are the essence as far as I am concerned. It is so clear to me how much joy is derived through activity over the passivity of viewing. I know many cite youtube as an influence or inspiration but I dont buy it. Crazy welsh uncle's gift of art supplies beats youtuber daubers anyday of the week.

The tv comparison is valid and I had not heard of the toddler truce which is absolutely alien to the 6am-9pm broadcast CBBC generation of today. Youtube is a different beast because unlike a rolling set of programs offered by the beeb, youtube has infinite viewing which I think is a real problem. The feed is constant and adaptive and insidious. 

When I was a kid TV became "boring" post 6pm therefore trains, toys, drawing, digging, reading ensued. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, westernviscount said:

I think the push to get "content" out has certainly trumped the necessity for accuracy and quality in the example above. But It seems this is fine for most consumers of this stuff as far as views, likes and subs go on the channels and the apparent displeasure any criticism of the content raises on this thread. Individual acheivement and entrepreneurship must be defended regardless of quality as we know! 

Yes there is an off button, but there are also multiple buttons to enable valid criticism to be raised when "content" is poor, misleading, banal, completely wrong. 

Off buttons are for the harmless hobbyist vids fair enough. People earning a living (wow thats a thing) from this phenomena? Well that deserves critique. 

Tippy tippy only five mins of fame....I use to watch a lot of uk canal vids...causing the cut andanother by a chap called Robbie Cummings (who I saw yesterday through skipton when out on a cycle ride....nearly went aqua ride...star struck) thay must of pushed out 250 plus each mostly very good stuff till too many other copy cats got in to the same game...vloging there life on the 'cut' and asking for patronage to pay them do it...!...most where border line tosh....only so many times you can watch a lock been operated! Same in wood working stuff...most disappeared now latest is 3d printer unboxings!....just bought one and my brother came to see un boxing! No video thankfully....

I can see the same happening to railway stuff once peaple get bored!...Next big you tube thing is........

• Like 1

14 hours ago, westernviscount said:

People earning a living (wow thats a thing) from this phenomena? Well that deserves critique. 

Speaking as someone who does earn a living from it, why?

We produce something that people want. People demand, we supply. Maybe you personally don't demand it - that's fine. I don't like sport, most modern music isn't to my taste and I don't watch TV, but I don't resent people for making money out of those things (even though all are far more intrusive than my little YouTube channel).

From my perspective, the process of making a typical video consists of:

1. Research. This will involve consulting several different sources. I may have to purchase books, magazines or website subscriptions to do this, or visit archives or libraries.

2. Writing a script. This has to be a balance between information and entertainment - I have to give people a reason to come to my video. Maybe because it's entertaining, maybe because they can't find the information anywhere else, ideally both.

3. Filming. This can involve travelling for several hours. It usually requires visiting more than one location. I may even end up visiting a location more than once because I decide at the editing stage that the footage I have is inadequate.

4. Assembling any other elements I need - images, clips, quotes, graphics.

5. Recording a voiceover.

6. Editing. This is by far the most tedious part of the process, and a short video can take up an entire evening.

7. Uploading and dealing with the various boring things YouTube requires you to deal with (highlighting any advertiser-unfriendly content, age rating, declaring any commercial tie-ins, uploading a thumbnail, adding a description and any necessary links). This has to be done twice, because I produce an advert-free version for Patreon.

8. Promotion.

I do all this three to four times a week with no assistance. This is just on an individual video basis. There are larger, more general matters that also need dealing with. Business negotiations to be done and financial matters to be dealt with. Responding to emails and comments. Analysing the response to videos. Planning ahead. I sometimes get asked to do podcasts and guest spots in other YouTube videos. I might have to deal with my videos being pirated, that happens a lot. I have other social media accounts that need to be updated.

Oh, and on top of all that, I also work a full-time job, because YouTube income is very unreliable. I could in theory quit and go full-time with YouTube, but it's risky and the earnings are variable. I'd like to own a flat someday, and if you apply for a mortgage and list your occupation as YouTuber, they just laugh at you for 8-10 hours.

I don't have weekends, and I'm lucky to get an evening to myself. Some weeks I get no free time at all. I'm often up late working, or up early to film. I work extremely hard in order to produce something for other people. It took a lot of time and effort to get where I am, and I'm not exactly rich. Why shouldn't I earn a living?

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2021 at 11:24, AY Mod said:

Some do; some don't. ;)

It's a bit like telly; there ain't half some rubbish interspersed with occasional gems.

Whoever came up with the term 'influencer' should be incarcerated and anyone who calls themselves such needs to go and have a word with themselves.

Surely, only half of the story, Andy?  Your term of 'influencer'  has many connotations. I like You tube, with the inference of " this is how you do it".  Equally, it can also mean "this is how you don't do it.....

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is the key, but! Whose wheat, and whose  chaff?   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Surely, only half of the story, Andy?  Your term of 'influencer'  has many connotations. I like You tube, with the inference of " this is how you do it".  Equally, it can also mean "this is how you don't do it.....

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is the key, but! Whose wheat, and whose  chaff?   

When it has the quotes '' I know exactly the sort of person Andy is referring to.

There are many people doing interesting stuff on YouTube, across many different topics, the ones I don't like are the ones trying to get you to buy stuff or concocting stuff to generate clicks.  These are the types of people who engineer conflict when there isn't any (plenty of this in the canal boat vlogging), tell you how to live your life or are all look how good my life is (but is it really?).

Cruising the Cut was a brilliant series, though to be fair the presenter was/is a professional broadcaster so knows how to deliver to camera, he also does vandemonium; in both cases his calm delivery and topics make for easy viewing late in the evening before bed.  He almost had me considering buying a boat, till I saw some of the other idiots on the canals and their vlogs and thought, no thanks.  There is a chap from Cumbria, Thomas Edward - not sure what his angle is, he's asking for patreon support and paid members get extra content, but his videos are again a bit of easy viewing and varied in subjects (his love of Rover cars especially Landrovers, trains, countryside and lorries).  Brandon Gross is a pot holing, cliff jumping madman with a partner who is even more adventurous as she does not suffer claustrophobia - he shows his adventures in an really inclusive manner, I can go pot holing into really tight spaces, feel the claustrophobia build in me knowing I am safe (and he is too, how else did he upload the video).

Last night, I did give Sam's Trains another go, it's not really what I like to watch, but having listened to his interview on New Junction at Warley in 2019 (in those oh so innocent days before Covid) I went over to his channel.  He was reviewing a Bachmann EMD E7 he'd got from America.  Ok he's not a font of all knowledge, but clearly he knows his audience, in 2019 he had 50k subscribers, he's doubled that during lockdown; so he's delivering what at least 100k people want I guess, all power to his slippers and carpet railway.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HonestTom said:

Oh, and on top of all that, I also work a full-time job, because YouTube income is very unreliable. I could in theory quit and go full-time with YouTube, but it's risky and the earnings are variable. I'd like to own a flat someday, and if you apply for a mortgage and list your occupation as YouTuber, they just laugh at you for 8-10 hours.

I don't have weekends, and I'm lucky to get an evening to myself. Some weeks I get no free time at all. I'm often up late working, or up early to film. I work extremely hard in order to produce something for other people. It took a lot of time and effort to get where I am, and I'm not exactly rich. Why shouldn't I earn a living?

Would they? I doubt a bank cares what you describe yourself as long as you have a steady form of income.

I think people are mistaking people who make a couple of pennies from YouTube to those that can make millions.

Ryan's Toy Reviews - $80 million

https://gulfnews.com/photos/lifestyle/top-15-millionaire-youtubers-so-far-this-2021-1.1622042966052?slide=6

Half the people on those reality TV shows are now YouTube influencers.

5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Half the people on those reality TV shows are now YouTube influencers.

I blame Endemol - before Big Brother there was none of this cr*p on TV and people weren't famous for just not knowing where or how to pronounce East Anglia.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HonestTom said:

It is clear you work very hard on your video work, undeniably so. Of course, interpreting the efforts of taking a kit from shelf to completion in an itemised way might also be seen as hard work. I have missed meals, worked for hours on end into the early hours of the morning, burnt myself repeatedly and cut myself in pursuit of my hobby. Work, hard or otherwise it was not! In fairness, it was all purely for me. 

I dont think I said you shouldnt make a living from youtube but I will address that in a minute. I am unsurprised you are not rich through pursuing an individual, personal passion. I am in fact unsurprised that working very hard might not even lead to a living being made. Working hard does not automatically mean success despite the popular narrative. 

What I did say is that if a hobby is monetised, the level of critique should lift commensurate with its repositioning as work and a service. The "just press the off switch" is no longer enough if money is involved, in the same way "if it is such a chore, don't do it" will not be acceptable to you and others who wish to make money from it.  

It may all sound like I am just envious. Perhaps. I have spent many times more than I have recieved through modelling, have never been on youtube...for more than a few seconds ;-) and the nearest I got to live appreciation of my models was a 3 year old boy joyously demanding Thomas to reappear from the tunnel!!! I assumed he was enjoying the way Thomas smoothly went through the handbuilt pointwork (I worked very hard on) but he didnt really say. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

When it has the quotes '' I know exactly the sort of person Andy is referring to.

There are many people doing interesting stuff on YouTube, across many different topics, the ones I don't like are the ones trying to get you to buy stuff or concocting stuff to generate clicks.  These are the types of people who engineer conflict when there isn't any (plenty of this in the canal boat vlogging), tell you how to live your life or are all look how good my life is (but is it really?).

Cruising the Cut was a brilliant series, though to be fair the presenter was/is a professional broadcaster so knows how to deliver to camera, he also does vandemonium; in both cases his calm delivery and topics make for easy viewing late in the evening before bed.  He almost had me considering buying a boat, till I saw some of the other idiots on the canals and their vlogs and thought, no thanks.  There is a chap from Cumbria, Thomas Edward - not sure what his angle is, he's asking for patreon support and paid members get extra content, but his videos are again a bit of easy viewing and varied in subjects (his love of Rover cars especially Landrovers, trains, countryside and lorries).  Brandon Gross is a pot holing, cliff jumping madman with a partner who is even more adventurous as she does not suffer claustrophobia - he shows his adventures in an really inclusive manner, I can go pot holing into really tight spaces, feel the claustrophobia build in me knowing I am safe (and he is too, how else did he upload the video).

Last night, I did give Sam's Trains another go, it's not really what I like to watch, but having listened to his interview on New Junction at Warley in 2019 (in those oh so innocent days before Covid) I went over to his channel.  He was reviewing a Bachmann EMD E7 he'd got from America.  Ok he's not a font of all knowledge, but clearly he knows his audience, in 2019 he had 50k subscribers, he's doubled that during lockdown; so he's delivering what at least 100k people want I guess, all power to his slippers and carpet railway.

No jibe at aforementioned but any tosh was fair game during lockdown 1.0.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add my two pence for what it’s worth, I think answering the OPs question in the title.... YouTube does contribute positively to the hobby, in most ways. 

There are some videos that are less than perfect, and maybe some just don’t portray the hobby in a way that we want it to be seen. 

However there are some channels that produce TV programme worthy content that I believe showcases the hobby in the best possible light. One of which (chosen randomly off the top of my head) is the Hornby Magazine’s feature length show videos. They usually come out once a month I believe, but have a great format, very down to earth and available to all levels of interest. 

I believe YouTube offers that sense of being involved.... there is something for everyone, and the more people that watch railway modelling related videos then the better! It’s all about making it available to everyone no matter what skill level or interest you may have under the broad “modelling” banner. 

Nelson. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I feel a general point on 'YouTube' self-proclaimed influencers, certainly in the topics I am interested in, but I suspect more widely, is that the majority would benefit from an independent editor.

Far too many, as my late mother would have said, "enjoy the sound of their own voices".  What they need is a strict script and someone to edit out the 'ums' and 'ers', there are some actors like this, great with a good script and director, yet totally lost on a chat show being themselves.  There are exceptions, but perhaps they are more self-disciplined.

Car reviews are the worst, where there is a "Clarkson" tendency to try and ape their hero and whether you like him or not, Clarkson is very experienced and often driving on closed or private roads.

My pet hate are those "unboxing" videos that spend 15 minutes describing the outside of the box, yet constantly fumbling and turning the box in their hands.

jh

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, John Harris said:

My pet hate are those "unboxing" videos that spend 15 minutes describing the outside of the box, yet constantly fumbling and turning the box in their hands.

Yes, I think this is a nervous tic amongst those who want to be on youtube but have little to actually say which is of any use. Much the same as the introduction to kit building vids with the tools continually fondled as the video gets absolutely nowhere. 

I saw a vid where the model maker introduced his fibre glass scratch brush and proceeded to stroke the bristles. Fair enough, a bristle in the finger isnt that bad but the topic for the video was one which might, we are told, appeal to the younger viewer as it involved 'steam punk'. No disrespect to steam punk being a sci fi fan myself and also no offence to younger modellers who probably know full well not to stroke the end of a scratch brush and also love railway modelling without the gimmicks some grown ups seem to think are needed for children to love this hobby. 

39 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I feel a general point on 'YouTube' self-proclaimed influencers, certainly in the topics I am interested in, but I suspect more widely, is that the majority would benefit from an independent editor.

Far too many, as my late mother would have said, "enjoy the sound of their own voices".  What they need is a strict script and someone to edit out the 'ums' and 'ers', there are some actors like this, great with a good script and director, yet totally lost on a chat show being themselves.  There are exceptions, but perhaps they are more self-disciplined.

Car reviews are the worst, where there is a "Clarkson" tendency to try and ape their hero and whether you like him or not, Clarkson is very experienced and often driving on closed or private roads.

jh

TBH though , unless you love the sound of your own voice , you’re  hardly likely to get involved in the internet vanity of YT. When I get a new model ( not often) , I don’t feel the need to share my experiences with everyone .

You are right about the unboxing though , “ it comes in the familiar Bachmann ice block packaging …”

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

TBH though , unless you love the sound of your own voice , you’re  hardly likely to get involved in the internet vanity of YT. When I get a new model ( not often) , I don’t feel the need to share my experiences with everyone .

You are right about the unboxing though , “ it comes in the familiar Bachmann ice block packaging …”

Yet sharing experiences, is part of what makes us human, surely? My YT videos are not so much about me showing off (I am confident in my LACK of ability!) but about sharing what I have done, and engaging with like minded people about similar experiences. 

Think of it as like taking your latest model to the club and chatting with your fellow members about it. 

Heres my latest video as an example:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I was just watching the uktv Hornby:a model world programme and was reminded of this thread. 

I am quite enjoying the show but was thinking about the different ways the hobbies covered by Hornby are presented. 

The plastic aircraft are covered in what seems to be a more mature way, looking at box art and the prototypes etc and little else is needed. 

Model railways however are covered with some maturity but there is an over-representation of gimmickery, supplied by some notable youtubers. I wondered if what is seen on the show is representative of how anyone here enjoys the hobby i.e. breaking speed records at oo scale, creating upside down mirror image layouts using magnets (and reverse proportioned light houses;-))  or razor sawing pugs in the name of steam punk?

16 hours ago, westernviscount said:

Model railways however are covered with some maturity but there is an over-representation of gimmickery, supplied by some notable youtubers. I wondered if what is seen on the show is representative of how anyone here enjoys the hobby i.e. breaking speed records at oo scale, creating upside down mirror image layouts using magnets (and reverse proportioned light houses;-))  or razor sawing pugs in the name of steam punk?

I guess there are a minority into that, but this sort of television is designed to appeal to the masses and so they have to put the gimmickery and silliness in to get the viewing figures.

I have to say that showing that guy running trains off the end of the track, after getting them to run as fast as possible, was idiotic. Here we have a supposed adult doing something that the rest of us grew out of when were were maybe seven years old in the name of entertainment. It just shows that you don't need to have any skill or knowledge to get your face on the television. As long as you're prepared to act like a fool, you too can become a TV star and a youtube "influencer".

Having said that, he's most certainly not as stupid as his viewers. After seeing him on the television I took a look at his youtube channel. In the one and only video that I managed to watch (and only 4 minutes at that) he was inviting viewers to put in their requests for what trains they wanted to see run on his carpet. He was charging them a fiver a time for the privliege and they were paying it! I can't fault him for making easy money out of morons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ruston said:

I guess there are a minority into that, but this sort of television is designed to appeal to the masses and so they have to put the gimmickery and silliness in to get the viewing figures.

I have to say that showing that guy running trains off the end of the track, after getting them to run as fast as possible, was idiotic. Here we have a supposed adult doing something that the rest of us grew out of when were were maybe seven years old in the name of entertainment. It just shows that you don't need to have any skill or knowledge to get your face on the television. As long as you're prepared to act like a fool, you too can become a TV star and a youtube "influencer".

Having said that, he's most certainly not as stupid as his viewers. After seeing him on the television I took a look at his youtube channel. In the one and only video that I managed to watch (and only 4 minutes at that) he was inviting viewers to put in their requests for what trains they wanted to see run on his carpet. He was charging them a fiver a time for the privliege and they were paying it! I can't fault him for making easy money out of morons.

Yep don't get the you pay me to do what I will do any way sort of thing on YouTube....yes I understand that filming editing and uploading takes time...but for peaple with real talent (take a look at uncle jessy for 3d printing and the likes of Peter Millard for woodworking and many more alike) it can be a top up to day job....as soon as they say hit that subscription button or become a patrion! I hit next vid or off button....but there is the key to the solution to the problem .....the off button but its a double edge sord....as you end up watching the dross to see how daft it gets....a watched vid counts all the same weather you liked or not

10 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Yep don't get the you pay me to do what I will do any way sort of thing on YouTube....yes I understand that filming editing and uploading takes time...but for peaple with real talent (take a look at uncle jessy for 3d printing and the likes of Peter Millard for woodworking and many more alike) it can be a top up to day job....

I'm sort of confused here. Are you saying that no one should be able to make a living off YouTube? That even if you produce content that people enjoy, you should have to do it as a supplement to a day job?

....as soon as they say hit that subscription button or become a patrion! I hit next vid or off button....but there is the key to the solution to the problem .....the off button but its a double edge sord....

Why is that a problem? You don't have to subscribe and you don't have to donate.

If you weren't going to donate anyway, then it really doesn't make much difference to the creator. Per thousand views, a creator earns approximately £2.27-£3.79 depending on the channel and how much of the video gets watched. Each view is worth, at most, approximately 0.4 pence. In other words, it would take about 1,250 people turning off within the first thirty seconds (the period before a view is counted) to outweigh one person who donates a fiver. Taking a couple of seconds to suggest that a person might like to throw a pound or two at Patreon is worth the risk. I should also point out that unless those 1,250 people specify that they turned off because they were asked to donate, it's almost impossible for the creator to know their objection. A lot of people don't watch videos all the way through.

If a viewer doesn't want to donate, fine - if everyone who watched my videos donated, I'd be a very wealthy man. But the attitude I see an awful lot seems to be that the creator shouldn't be allowed to make money, or do anything that might make them money. It's just kind of depressing. "You should produce content I enjoy and you shouldn't get paid for it. I'm not actually the one paying for it, but other people shouldn't pay you either." I don't understand where that kind of attitude comes from. You don't see it with any other creative pursuit that makes money. 

.....the off button but its a double edge sord....as you end up watching the dross to see how daft it gets....a watched vid counts all the same weather you liked or not

If I don't like a video, I just don't watch it. Not even "to see how daft it gets." If you're watching it, clearly you find it entertaining at some level - otherwise you'd go off and do something else.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I'm sort of confused here. Are you saying that no one should be able to make a living off YouTube? That even if you produce content that people enjoy, you should have to do it as a supplement to a day job?

Why is that a problem? You don't have to subscribe and you don't have to donate.

If you weren't going to donate anyway, then it really doesn't make much difference to the creator. Per thousand views, a creator earns approximately £2.27-£3.79 depending on the channel and how much of the video gets watched. Each view is worth, at most, approximately 0.4 pence. In other words, it would take about 1,250 people turning off within the first thirty seconds (the period before a view is counted) to outweigh one person who donates a fiver. Taking a couple of seconds to suggest that a person might like to throw a pound or two at Patreon is worth the risk. I should also point out that unless those 1,250 people specify that they turned off because they were asked to donate, it's almost impossible for the creator to know their objection. A lot of people don't watch videos all the way through.

If a viewer doesn't want to donate, fine - if everyone who watched my videos donated, I'd be a very wealthy man. But the attitude I see an awful lot seems to be that the creator shouldn't be allowed to make money, or do anything that might make them money. It's just kind of depressing. "You should produce content I enjoy and you shouldn't get paid for it. I'm not actually the one paying for it, but other people shouldn't pay you either." I don't understand where that kind of attitude comes from. You don't see it with any other creative pursuit that makes money. 

If I don't like a video, I just don't watch it. Not even "to see how daft it gets." If you're watching it, clearly you find it entertaining at some level - otherwise you'd go off and do something else.

Hi you put it so better than I could put it in words ...if you don't like... use off button ...but some times it's hard to press it!

But still don't know why foke pay for someone else's opinion! 

YT has become a money monster ...for right or wrong

Perhaps they could do an episode on their H class? How to repair a brand new model after paying full price. 

My cousin collects handbags and buys new ones - she doesn't seem to have to get her needle and thread out to  re-sew them or patch up holes in them before she uses them. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Railpassion said:

Perhaps they could do an episode on their H class? How to repair a brand new model after paying full price. 

My cousin collects handbags and buys new ones - she doesn't seem to have to get her needle and thread out to  re-sew them or patch up holes in them before she uses them. 

Why would the customer have to repair a new item themselves? If it's faulty just return it to the retailer for repair/replacement/refund, which ever the customer chooses.

I had a loco arrive last week which was dead, sent it back at the retailers expense and a working replacement was sent out by return. 

• Agree 4

I suppose the idea that making money from what you love doing is pretty rare. The idea of making money from what is essentially hobbying and of limited value on a societal level is even rarer and very hard for some to accept. Of course, given the contemporary craze of framing criticism and scepticism as envy and negativity means it is hard to explain why youtube and modern approaches to hobbying as shown in the Hornby show are problematic to some. It just always sounds like sour grapes. 

It seems the form itself is dictating the direction of the hobby or at least the perception of the hobby. There is an emergent celebrity class who appear to be the go to people to exemplify the hobby, where as in reality they are far from representative of the vast majority who still pursue railway modelling as escapism and leisure away from their day to day work. Work unlikely to consist of the receipt of "donations" (the bare faced cheek of calling it that) for running a toy train on camera.  

• Like 1