Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Do youtubers contribute positively to railway modelling?

• RMweb Premium

Well you will learn much more about actual experiences of people running their W1s than you will from the Hornby Mag review (haven’t seen any other reviews but suspect they will all be similar) . So YouTube got to be good for enthusiasts  in that respect .  In fact I think it’s a major impact in the democratisation of the hobby . It’s now much more than a few manufacturers and editors . This has given a voice to everyone in the hobby -much to the dismay of some 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

Well you will learn much more about actual experiences of people running their W1s than you will from the Hornby Mag review (haven’t seen any other reviews but suspect they will all be similar) . So YouTube got to be good for enthusiasts  in that respect .  In fact I think it’s a major impact in the democratisation of the hobby . It’s now much more than a few manufacturers and editors . This has given a voice to everyone in the hobby -much to the dismay of some 

You could write that whole paragraph and simply change YouTube to RMWeb. Both good for the hobby. 

Andi

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, colin smith said:

I'm detecting a slightly earnest, 'hair-shirt' attitude on this thread that regards railway modelling as a worthy endeavour and anyone putting their work out there, be it exhibiting at a show, writing articles for magazines or blogs, or producing YouTube videos, should be serving the modelling community and hobby in some way. 

Yes, fair comment. 

However, I would suggest there is a fair share of worthiness from the pro-youtuber camp, especially the creators. There is not much more earnest than filming what you want and broadcasting it for free and giving oneself the title "content provider". 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

Yes, fair comment. 

However, I would suggest there is a fair share of worthiness from the pro-youtuber camp, especially the creators. There is not much more earnest than filming what you want and broadcasting it for free and giving oneself the title "content provider". 

Could be worse could be talking about fashion YouTube...influencer! The only thing thay influence is vomet followed by skip button

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dagworth said:

You could write that whole paragraph and simply change YouTube to RMWeb. Both good for the hobby. 

Andi

I disagree with you Mr Dell, well about RMweb. There is a bloke on here who sometimes post about modelling but spends most his time posting videos from Youtube of young ladies playing rock and roll. That is why I haven't found any modelling on Youtube. Instead that bloke should be getting his panties all wet over the latest announcement of the loco that will save his layout if not his life and then moaning it won't go round his radius one track.

I think it is a ruddy cheek doing modelling and not waiting until he has seen Sams Trains to know if it is a good model or one he needs to buy and rant about.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I disagree with you Mr Dell, well about RMweb. There is a bloke on here who sometimes post about modelling but spends most his time posting videos from Youtube of young ladies playing rock and roll. That is why I haven't found any modelling on Youtube. Instead that bloke should be getting his panties all wet over the latest announcement of the loco that will save his layout if not his life and then moaning it won't go round his radius one track.

That bloke spends far too much of his time watching young ladies playing rock and roll and doesn’t even read my cryptic thread…

Andi

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

That bloke spends far too much of his time watching young ladies playing rock and roll and doesn’t even read my cryptic thread…

Andi

You’d also be wrong to imagine he’s not looking at new releases, after all they may represent a new supply of parts for his Frankensteins :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Andi

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

You’d also be wrong to imagine he’s not looking at new releases, after all they may represent a new supply of parts for his Frankensteins :lol:

A Frankenstein as Woody calls them, something not seen on many Youtube model railway videos. I did see on Sams Trains his own designed 3D printed loco that ran so he does have influence. Go check it out as he didn't follow the golden rules of loco building, but it worked. 

100_5862a.jpg.a35cd32ba89265290ff46c16e356da8c.jpg

A BR diagram 30 Griddle Car made form leftovers from other conversions.

A female rock band who hopefully through playing music can influence the attitude of people around the world to be more tolerant of each other.

Modelling and young ladies playing rock and roll, wonderful.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

On 15/01/2022 at 19:53, Clive Mortimore said:

A Frankenstein as Woody calls them, something not seen on many Youtube model railway videos. I did see on Sams Trains his own designed 3D printed loco that ran so he does have influence. Go check it out as he didn't follow the golden rules of loco building, but it worked. 

100_5862a.jpg.a35cd32ba89265290ff46c16e356da8c.jpg

A BR diagram 30 Griddle Car made form leftovers from other conversions.

A female rock band who hopefully through playing music can influence the attitude of people around the world to be more tolerant of each other.

Modelling and young ladies playing rock and roll, wonderful.

My noise cancelling headphones just refused to play the clip?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm very much 'live and let live' on this stuff, I think I've even posted somewhere amid the 9 pages! However I've realised twice this week that people spamming Facebook groups with clickbait links to their videos really annoys me. I actually have very little interest in watching YT videos on modelling. I overwhelmingly browse forums and social media either of an evening on the sofa, or snatching time here and there, commonly whilst feeding my daughter in the night, so audio is a bit of an issue! One particular poster posted at least 5 separate videos to multiple FB groups all about the APT ("It's here", "prototypical formation", "it's a bit noisy", "high speed test", "haulage test" etc). When I made a quip about the volume of content he said "well keep an eye out for something different...", I have zero interest in keeping an eye out for anything, I just don't care, it didn't feel like he was adding anything, but perhaps that was just particularly acute because I have no real interest in an APT. Luckily FB is great for blocking people, so I can easily just remove him from my feed!

Edit, 10 different APT videos: 5-car set is here; 14-car test; how to couple it; swapping body shells; high speed test run; slow speed test run; single NDM test; derailment fix; high pitch wheel squeaking; formation guide.

Why not just make one bloody APT video, and make use of YouTube chapters for all of that?!

Edited by njee20

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

Why not just make one bloody APT video, and make use of YouTube chapters for all of that?!

because thats how channels grow, frequent uploads that joe bloggs who’s interested in the subject can watch while modelling or during thinking time on the loo, there are probably people out there who are fairly interested and like the amount of shorter videos unlike yourself.  
each to their own really 

Edited by Erixtar1992

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2022 at 00:11, newbryford said:

Sam is more Viz, than Railway Modeller.

i was blissfully unaware who or what Sam’s trains was until earlier today someone put a link on Twitter to an experiment where he was running a train underwater in a paddling pool, plugged into the mains via a Hornby controller and transformer!

That was enough for me, as a supposed ‘influencer’ it seems a pretty irresponsible thing to do with so many impressionable no doubt young followers who may have a go themselves and get the shock of a lifetime! 

and don’t get me started on Francis Bourgeois! 

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, big jim said:

i was blissfully unaware who or what Sam’s trains was until earlier today someone put a link on Twitter to an experiment where he was running a train underwater in a paddling pool, plugged into the mains via a Hornby controller and transformer!

That was enough for me, as a supposed ‘influencer’ it seems a pretty irresponsible thing to do with so many impressionable no doubt young followers who may have a go themselves and get the shock of a lifetime! 

and don’t get me started on Francis Bourgeois! 

Francis wants you to give him the horn! Two tone plus!

• RMweb Premium
On 15/01/2022 at 19:53, Clive Mortimore said:

5 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

My noise cancelling headphones just refused to play the clip?

Didn't work on you did it?

Good old Francis !

I like him , I believe his enthusiasm is genuine although , of course, his real name isn’t Francis and that has caused some to question whether it’s performance art or something . And Francis bourgeois is registered with companies house .

If GBRf wanted to raise its social media profile with the under 30s it has certainly done so .

7 hours ago, big jim said:

They did something very similar on the Great Model Railway Challenge. And there's no reason why putting a low DC voltage across tap water should be dangerous - most younger viewers have probably done it at school already as part of an electrolysis practical.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

because thats how channels grow, frequent uploads that joe bloggs who’s interested in the subject can watch while modelling or during thinking time on the loo, there are probably people out there who are fairly interested and like the amount of shorter videos unlike yourself.  
each to their own really 

Some of the videos are 25 minutes.

I have no issue with the creation of the content, and yes, I get that regular uploads can be more successful (that said a content creator benefits more from a video with more views i believe, rather than lots with fewer views. It’s then sharing that, each time, that annoys me. It’s self serving and parasitic. “I’m not going to engage in debate, but I DONE A VIDEO!”.

I have found Sam's Trains very interesting as it shows the faults on model locomotives.  One example is the Bachmann N class which was given a glowing report in the model press.  An N class is a must have locomotive for me and I bought four; one in each livery.  I found that the locomotive derailed on points and curves so I wondered if there was something wrong with my track laying. When I saw his review of the N class is he had exactly the same problem and the model is clearly not fit for purpose.  Without his video and just relying on the model press no-one would be any the wiser about the locomotive's fault.

Bachmann is capable of making some excellent models and their Graham Farish N gauge N class is one of my best performing locomotives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2021 at 22:18, Dagworth said:

In much the same vein, @Phil Bullock of this parish's most popular video is "When model railways go wrong" with over a million views!

https://www.youtube.com/user/d803albion/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

Andi

Tell me about it Andi! If I am Trying to be logical I might convince myself it’s because the period we represent… immediately after steam finished … was a time when many put their cameras away. 

We have good fun though and largely the comments that come back are positive so we must be doing something that appeals….

We do try and make our videos a different genre perhaps, more re-creational than instructional. But the viewers are the judge of that. Down side? Those with a critical eye can point out our sins publicly. SPADs, no tail lamp and the heinous crime of running a passenger train without a brake . Oh the shame….

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Sam's Trains latest video 'Hornby's PR Disaster'  was excellent.  I agree with his advice to buy from a retailer rather than Hornby.  I found the information that the 9F would have a diecast body at a lower price than the Hornby Dublo series models very interesting. I was surprised to find that 54% of the viewers preferred the LNER to the other pre-nationalisation companies.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Good old Francis !

I like him , I believe his enthusiasm is genuine although , of course, his real name isn’t Francis and that has caused some to question whether it’s performance art or something . And Francis bourgeois is registered with companies house .

If GBRf wanted to raise its social media profile with the under 30s it has certainly done so .

About as honest as a uk prime minister saying.....'there was no party.....ohhhh topical