Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Do youtubers contribute positively to railway modelling?

I also made it into sams trains latest video ,i just hope his girlfreind read my reply to my first post about being annoyed about trains running on carpet,i did feal a bit guilty ,i think sam haveing his girl freind on his channel works a treat ,the in your face bit made me laugh it was like a spoof death metal video ,a type of music i am a big fan of ,i do enjoy sams very honest reviews of products something the model railway press has never done ,a subject that sam talked about in his video,whilst on the subject of you tube i am also a fan of Walls rail i find a lot of his projects very inspirational ,

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Clive martin said:

I also made it into sams trains latest video ,i just hope his girlfreind read my reply to my first post about being annoyed about trains running on carpet,i did feal a bit guilty ,i think sam haveing his girl freind on his channel works a treat ,the in your face bit made me laugh it was like a spoof death metal video ,a type of music i am a big fan of ,i do enjoy sams very honest reviews of products something the model railway press has never done ,a subject that sam talked about in his video,whilst on the subject of you tube i am also a fan of Walls rail i find a lot of his projects very inspirational ,

I'd argue that Gareth Bayer and Simon Bendall would give rather honest reviews in Rail Express Modeller, as well as reviews in DEMU's UPDate. They were not afraid of holding the manufacturers to account, compared to the current press, which is perhaps a little bit more to the keeping the advertising dept happy. It is what it is, and these days youtube is probably the best place for more honest reviews, as long as they're clear about being given samples or sponsorship of course (ASA rules state they should have the #ad tag for such posts).

• Agree 1

Hallo Kelly you have put forward a very good point about RailExpress modellers very honest reviews although you could say that this magazine has bit of a niche place in the market place being a  prototype based magazine for people with an interest in diesel and electric traction,  if my memory is correct rail express did ring some alarm bells  with the body shape of the pre production sample of bachmanns first class 37/4 models,i think DEMU can be very candid with their reviews as i guess they dont have to worry about advertisng revenue like the mainstream magazines do,this week You tube has been fantastic with all the footage from the national exhibition at the nec,most weekends i look forward to seeing content from the shows the recent Spalding show footage has been fantastic.

2 hours ago, 96701 said:

Is there anybody else that you watch on YouTube and don't like?

I'd also like to say, to just call people who question you, who put the time in to think about what you've said and shown and done haters is a bit rich and self serving. Most of these people come at him with suggestions for how to improve, he then cracks it and basically says "what do you know I'm an expert and it's my channel and I'll do what I like" 

That is literally his reaction to 99% of people who show up with a valid question or a suggestion for how to improve, normally because these questions have answers he either can't answer or doesn't want to lest he put his foot in it or the suggestion involves extending just the tiniest smidgen of effort above run train film train point out something "good" point out something "bad" rinse repeat. If people, myself included, literally HATED the guy, would I be sitting here having freely handed him methods to test his ideas(measure the model run it measure it again), having suggested fun visually interesting ways to test his methods that are exactly the kind of thing A.he seems into B. His fans would love(rent a thermal camera and use it to show the points of friction in a mechanism because they will show up as hot spots) 

This isn't destructive, this isn't hate, this is saying he can absolutely do better and arming him with ideas to do better. If he isn't going to though well then I guess I will. 

Not out of hate for anyone, out of desire to have a hobby armed with better information. Something sam claims to want but seemingly has no interest in delivering, not for want of people who want to see him do better helping him along. 

Haters gonna hate I guess and right now that hater is sam, hating on people for questioning, hating on people for trying to help, hating on the fans so much he cracks it at the prospect of having to lift a finger for them to show them what he says is true or not. 😊 he called RMweb a website full of his detractors, words of someone with no hate? 

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

I'd also like to say, to just call people who question you, who put the time in to think about what you've said and shown and done haters is a bit rich and self serving. Most of these people come at him with suggestions for how to improve, he then cracks it and basically says "what do you know I'm an expert and it's my channel and I'll do what I like" 

That is literally his reaction to 99% of people who show up with a valid question or a suggestion for how to improve, normally because these questions have answers he either can't answer or doesn't want to lest he put his foot in it or the suggestion involves extending just the tiniest smidgen of effort above run train film train point out something "good" point out something "bad" rinse repeat. If people, myself included, literally HATED the guy, would I be sitting here having freely handed him methods to test his ideas(measure the model run it measure it again), having suggested fun visually interesting ways to test his methods that are exactly the kind of thing A.he seems into B. His fans would love(rent a thermal camera and use it to show the points of friction in a mechanism because they will show up as hot spots) 

This isn't destructive, this isn't hate, this is saying he can absolutely do better and arming him with ideas to do better. If he isn't going to though well then I guess I will. 

Not out of hate for anyone, out of desire to have a hobby armed with better information. Something sam claims to want but seemingly has no interest in delivering, not for want of people who want to see him do better helping him along. 

Haters gonna hate I guess and right now that hater is sam, hating on people for questioning, hating on people for trying to help, hating on the fans so much he cracks it at the prospect of having to lift a finger for them to show them what he says is true or not. 😊 he called RMweb a website full of his detractors, words of someone with no hate? 

And it all matters because….? Really, who gives a flying you know what one way or the other? 

As has been said many times before it’s just toy trains….

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Who rattled this thread again? It's like tickling the dragons tail!

I must say I've had my two pence worth in past.....hopefully none to personal to any one YouTube 'star' there are enough of them around 

Time to move on!..switch on or off always a choice ?

YouTube got us all hooked on like a drug addiction (some content).....I even get bombarded with makeup tutorials?...and certin male loud ex fighter who has no volume button! You know thread one? ...start a new thread? ..you know you don't want to watch but carry on watching ....just getting the latest hit of ...DROSS......the new drug.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

(The above snipped out for relevance)

Please post a link to your Youtube video when you do as I for one would like to compare your efforts with his, obviously he must be doing what some like as he DOES seam to have a fairly large following

1 minute ago, Matt C said:

(The above snipped out for relevance)

Please post a link to your Youtube video when you do as I for one would like to compare your efforts with his

Well, I'm not in the business of "reviews" so tbh there is no comparison to draw is there, you'll probably see my channel around it's ever growing, lord knows why I don't even really try to make it grow I just post whatever stuff I have, I'm the very first to admit it's a dumpster fire 🤣 

I just upload footage of real trains, videos of rolling stock being built and well I guess soon many many hundreds of boring hours of video of locos going around and around a track and being measured periodically then some boring spread sheets of the data gleaned and maybe who knows, one of those nice spicy charts that people love to use to visualise things. Y'know, real nerd stuff. Kinda stuff nerds adore seeing and doing. 

Was a right pain to source a brand new Bachmann jinty with no brass bearings by the way, the amount of retailers that had to be combed through to find it in stock not as a second hand item for this purpose. Darn  pandemic really caused a huge rush to buy even these "bad" models up. 

33 minutes ago, PhilH said:

And it all matters because….? Really, who gives a flying you know what one way or the other? 

As has been said many times before it’s just toy trains….

People who care about toy trains? People who care to know about toy trains in an objective way not just trust very dubious opinion that seems largely to exist as a meme? People who want others to have something more to go on than opinion. Opinions on these things are like the exit of the digestive system, facts are like 1kg gold nuggets. That's just a shame really for a hobby that was once about making people smarter through play.

It's kinda the way of the world init, human nature, to want to better understand the things we are doing to get the most value from what we do and question the things we and others are saying. It's how people grow, how hobbies grow, how hobbies  change and improve. Just going "no Terry stop improving the shape of the rock or trying diffedent types of rock and just bash that rock against the other rock for fun" isn't really how humanity got where it is now is it. We like to think, we like to question, we like to improve. 

If you don't give a flying you know what to know about toy trains... are you even into them? 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

Well, I'm not in the business of "reviews" so tbh there is no comparison to draw is there, you'll probably see my channel around it's ever growing, lord knows why I don't even really try to make it grow I just post whatever stuff I have, I'm the very first to admit it's a dumpster fire 🤣 

I just upload footage of real trains, videos of rolling stock being built and well I guess soon many many hundreds of boring hours of video of locos going around and around a track and being measured periodically then some boring spread sheets of the data gleaned and maybe who knows, one of those nice spicy charts that people love to use to visualise things. Y'know, real nerd stuff. Kinda stuff nerds adore seeing and doing. 

Was a right pain to source a brand new Bachmann jinty with no brass bearings by the way, the amount of retailers that had to be combed through to find it in stock not as a second hand item for this purpose. Darn  pandemic really caused a huge rush to buy even these "bad" models up. 

People who care about toy trains? People who care to know about toy trains in an objective way not just trust very dubious opinion that seems largely to exist as a meme? People who want others to have something more to go on than opinion. Opinions on these things are like the exit of the digestive system, facts are like 1kg gold nuggets. That's just a shame really for a hobby that was once about making people smarter through play.

It's kinda the way of the world init, human nature, to want to better understand the things we are doing to get the most value from what we do and question the things we and others are saying. It's how people grow, how hobbies grow, how hobbies  change and improve. Just going "no Terry stop improving the shape of the rock or trying diffedent types of rock and just bash that rock against the other rock for fun" isn't really how humanity got where it is now is it. We like to think, we like to question, we like to improve. 

If you don't give a flying you know what to know about toy trains... are you even into them? 

Ahh ok sounds errrrr rivetting 🤓 next time I'm suffering insomnia ill give it a try. Meanwhile think I'll go and see if Sam has managed to light a fart using his trusty blowtorch. . . . 

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Ahh ok sounds errrrr rivetting 🤓 next time I'm suffering insomnia ill give it a try. Meanwhile think I'll go and see if Sam has managed to light a fart using his trusty blowtorch. . . . 

...I'm samstains', welcome to jackass...🔥 (ah happy memories of that show thank you for reminding me) 

3 hours ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

Most of these people come at him with suggestions for how to improve, he then cracks it and basically says "what do you know I'm an expert and it's my channel and I'll do what I like" 

Paraphrases and summaries do not use quotation marks.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BachelorBoy said:

You may not think you sound destructive and hateful.

But you do. 

I know I'm just vile aren't I, a horrible person that wants to see him do better and isn't blinded to his very real very impactful flaws by his notoriety or seemingly limitless collection of objects.

How disgusting to suggest someone can better themselves, I should be ashamed. 🥲

All the while the viewer still isn't getting any actual answers and I think that's why you just showed up to say what you said... you can't question the criticism. So you question the critic. Much as Sam just did for the most part.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

The smiley doesn't work.

You come across as a mean-spirited hater yourself. 

Unlike Sam, who's a rather nice chap. Rather positive, really. 

(NB I am not Sam. I've never met the guy, or even communicated with him via email, messages, or postings on his websites, YouTube videos, etc.)

11 minutes ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

Destructive, mean... something about my mother. Yawn.

Play a game of which of these accounts is Sam coming by for a chat.

It's not mean. Putting something in quotation marks implies that is exactly that the speaker said. 

• Agree 3

55 minutes ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

I know I'm just vile aren't I, a horrible person that wants to see him do better and isn't blinded to his very real very impactful flaws by his notoriety or seemingly limitless collection of objects.

How disgusting to suggest someone can better themselves, I should be ashamed. 🥲

All the while the viewer still isn't getting any actual answers and I think that's why you just showed up to say what you said... you can't question the criticism. So you question the critic. Much as Sam just did for the most part.

That comment just made you seem even more vindictive and hateful.

• Agree 3

33 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

The smiley doesn't work.

You come across as a mean-spirited hater yourself. 

Unlike Sam, who's a rather nice chap. Rather positive, really. 

(NB I am not Sam. I've never met the guy, or even communicated with him via email, messages, or postings on his websites, YouTube videos, etc.)

It's not mean. Putting something in quotation marks implies that is exactly that the speaker said. 

Ah okay then

Let me quote the man himself

"I own hundreds of locos I know what I'm talking about"

"Lucky you don't get to decide what content I make"

There you go same thing in quotes from the man himself in his own words in his own replies. 

Funny you know a few years ago if we go back into the depths of him being an angry young man "stop questioning me or I'll tell me followers about you" 

How threatning, how vindictive, how... bully like? If you don't shut up and let me lie to these people I've tricked into believing I know my stuff I'll tell them and get them to comw after you. 

As I say, I've been around sam plenty, I know the man, he does not know what he says is true and he absolutely hates when people ask him kindly to please show that he does. He's probably only made this video in an attempt to get people to trust him in the face of someone actually bothering to measure things. Very scary prospect when someone comes in with measurements to challenge the opinions you've turned into memes and built your reputation on.

Again, anyone actually wish to question anything I've said with regards to his stance on bearings or friction in mechanisms? Which he is so utterly far from having shown any real proof of. Mean as that is

1 minute ago, Yarravalleymodeller said:

Ah okay then

Let me quote the man himself

"I own hundreds of locos I know what I'm talking about"

"Lucky you don't get to decide what content I make"

There you go same thing in quotes from the man himself in his own words in his own replies. 

Funny you know a few years ago if we go back into the depths of him being an angry young man "stop questioning me or I'll tell me followers about you" 

How threatning, how vindictive, how... bully like? If you don't shut up and let me lie to these people I've tricked into believing I know my stuff I'll tell them and get them to comw after you. 

As I say, I've been around sam plenty, I know the man, he does not know what he says is true and he absolutely hates when people ask him kindly to please show that he does. He's probably only made this video in an attempt to get people to trust him in the face of someone actually bothering to measure things. Very scary prospect when someone comes in with measurements to challenge the opinions you've turned into memes and built your reputation on.

Again, anyone actually wish to question anything I've said with regards to his stance on bearings or friction in mechanisms? Which he is so utterly far from having shown any real proof of. Mean as that is

Let me repeat my advice. You are in a hole. Stop digging.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• AY Mod locked this topic