Planning a Western Region branchline in 4mm

Standby

It is possible to rationalise that plan right back to a simple oval of track with just a DMU running around.

My earliest railway memories are of 1963/64/65. On trips by train around Devon my dad would point out to me disused stations, lifted sidings, weed covered junctions, and all sorts of decay.

A simple oval just requires the DMU.

Add a loop and you have a DMU and something loco hauled.

With just one siding you can have a D63XX or Hymek with half a dozen wagons to shunt.

CJ Freezer has published layout plans that could be built bit by bit. Is it possible to start with just the platform line and loop, a single siding and a connection to the rest of the yard, which you can then add later. (You can tell here I am not a layout builder myself!) 

cheers

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

These two designs are basically the same in terms of cost and complexity. They both give you a run round loop and an array of sidings, which you can "scenick" however you like. You wanted passenger trains and goods shunting, diesels and steam and not to be too ambitious and you chose Wiveliscombe as something that fitted the bill - and it does!

Fair comment and I appreciate all the help you’ve given me. I do have some flexitrack that was given to me, I’m going to lay that out, I think that will help move me forward with my plans once I see it laid out.

And thank you for the Finetrax suggestion, I’m definitely interested in using those points.

Thanks again,  

Neil

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Standby said:

I'm wondering if this too much station for me. My initial idea in my head was a goods yard layout with diesel locos, that developed in to a station with a goods yard and I'll run a few DMUs. Then I thought that could be in the 60's so I can run a small steam loco with a few carriages as well. 

It certainly possible to run much longer passenger trains on your layout but I'm not sure I'll want to, that's not really my thing.

There is nothing about the design that says you have to run longer passenger trains.  It is quite prototypical for the change in circumstances over the years to mean a station has platforms that are longer than the trains currently serving the station.

Alternately, if the platform length does seem excessive to what you want simply build shorter platforms.

• Agree 1

Do you need to see the full length of the platform to know the station is there?

If your concerned about having two much station you could conceivably depict half of it and use a scenic break. That way you get your good yard for shunting, have somewhere for your passenger trains to stop and have more space to model the countryside you wanted too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2