Corfe Castle Station

jburgt

I like to recreate existing and disused British railway stations and their surroundings in OO gauge. The process of modelbuilding from the very start to a professional exhibition layout, is a rather time consuming series of extremely different activities. This site will give you a glimpse of my experiments, trials and constructions. Most of my work is based on Computer Aided Design (CAD) and self produced 3D printed and lasercutted parts. I hope you like my stories.

For my new micro-layout I will recreate Corfe Castle Station as it was just after WWII. Say 1945-1950. As a start you see here a buildplan:spacer.png

A. Wood

B. Coal facility 

C. Cattle yard

D. Goods Shed

E. Station building

F. Yard

G. Green

H. Platforms

I. Shelter

J. Signal Post

?. Unknown building

follow me on my Wordpress/Blog page: https://corfecastlestation.wordpress.com

Gr, Hans

Edited by jburgt
  • Like 2

Thx Robin,

This Photo helps me further to build the scene. It’s an unusual picture from this side. But so I get a good feeling about the length of the Goods Shed and the Station building.

yo know already how I work with Photos. :)

For others, the distance between the tracks is due to the OO Gauge standard dimensions 50mm. So I scaled this screenshot of my smartphone in my CAD program.

spacer.png

Gr, Hans

19 minutes ago, bike2steam said:

Robin, was it you or Mike Stollery that ran a series of drawings of buildings on the Swanage branch published in the Railway Modeller some time in the 1970's??:sungum:

I received a fantastic drawing from Robin of the old in 1957 demolished Signal Box. Based on this drawing I made already a CAD study of it.

spacer.png

Gr, Hans

• Like 1

Paul. I made a drawing of Swanage Signal Box and sent it to Mike Stollery for checking which is how I got to know him. Then the Railway Modeller published my article about Swanage Signal Box and several other articles about the buildings on the Swanage Railway.

Mike Stollery produced an architect's drawing of Swanage Station for the Swanage Railway and we sent it off for publication in the Railway Modeller with my narrative.  The Railway Modeller paid substantially more for that article due to the quality of the drawing. Someone told my brother that the drawing of Swanage Station was brilliant: it could almost have been by an architect.

• Like 1

Thanks Robin for putting me right. I like it, yes that drawing of Swanage station was good, I had many customers in my old shop asking about it. Like the tongue in cheek last comment, wasn't Mike an architect for London Underground??? I haven't seen him for years, is he still around?

Paul

25 minutes ago, bike2steam said:

Thanks Robin for putting me right. I like it, yes that drawing of Swanage station was good, I had many customers in my old shop asking about it. Like the tongue in cheek last comment, wasn't Mike an architect for London Underground??? I haven't seen him for years, is he still around?

Paul

@Paul,

I hope to get the same drawing for my project. :)

Gr, Hans

23 hours ago, bike2steam said:

Paul

Dear Paul,

Mike was an architect for London Underground.  Unfortunately he died a few years ago.

Yours sincerely

Robin

• Thanks 1

A view of the road behind Corfe Castle Station and the goods siding on the 0 gauge layout at the barn at Godlingston Manor.  It looks like they have started a production run of Corfe Castle stations as there is another model of the station in the background. The wagons and coaches are my Dapol models.

P1010103.JPG

• Like 2

spacer.png

Thx, Robin… for your nice drawings of the Corfe Castle Station building. Now it’s quite easy for me to generate a good CAD design. I will show it here when ready.

Gr, Hans

• 2 weeks later...

I developed some other elements for my Corfe Castle project. First of all the Stationbuilding. Not fully detailed yet:spacer.png

At second the Goods Shed.

spacer.png

and at last the coal staithes.

spacer.png

i use my own self lasercutted sleepers.

Gr, Hans

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

The signalbox at Corfe Castle was very unusual with the front seemingly "blanked out" as per your cad and this image 

https://images.app.goo.gl/XxGKk4Sk6Q3c14E37 

I cannot see any reason why it would have been like this unless the windows had to be removed for some reason.  

Does anyone know?

Ian C

I don't know if it's correct, but I have been told that the station master's bedroom window was opposite the signal box, and the signal box windows were blanked off to stop the signalman looking into the station master's bedroom.

Rob

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, RobR said:

I don't know if it's correct, but I have been told that the station master's bedroom window was opposite the signal box, and the signal box windows were blanked off to stop the signalman looking into the station master's bedroom.

Rob

so just suppling the stationmaster with net curtains then wasn't enough! Sounds plausible but awkward operationally.